Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:25 pm

I don't believe I am a food "snob" because there are MANY times where I will prefer a cheaper brand or a processed brand to the more expensive kind of food. I think instead that I am actually a food "bigot" where I have hatred for certain groups of foods and even refuse to try them just simply because of the way they look. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:28 pm

The only thing that prevents me from eating some foods is allergies.
Luckily I am only allergict to what I don't like.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 10:47 pm

When it comes to food, I'll eat it as long as it doesn't bite back. Now that doesn't mean it has to be dead, mind you. :lol:
But when it comes to Coca Cola, I can tell if I'm drinking a real Coke, RC, store brand, or Faygo (yuuuukkk!). As for Pepsi, I don't know how on earth anyone could mistake that crap for real Coke. I wish I could get a hold to the Coke that's distributed overseas and in Mexico. They use sugar instead of corn syrup (like in the true Classic formula) and it'll make your eyes water and nose run because it's so strong.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 10:59 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
But when it comes to Coca Cola, I can tell if I'm drinking a real Coke, RC, store brand, or Faygo (yuuuukkk!). I wish I could get a hold to the Coke that's distributed overseas and in Mexico.

I can tell the differance between Fountain Coke, (Usually watered down, and tastes bad) Glass bottle, (Tastes the way a coke should) Can, (Metallic taste, doesn't have the complexity of flavor inherant of the Glass bottle) PVC Bottle (Like the can, but minus the metallic taste)

BTW, If you have any Latin (super)mercados, tiendas, carnicerias, markets, etc, in your area, you can usually get the Mexican coke for about $1 per 12 oz bottle

EDITED FOR SPELLING 11.05.05 @5:55PM EST

Last edited by Fogman on 15 Nov 2005, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 3:27 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
As for Pepsi, I don't know how on earth anyone could mistake that crap for real Coke. I wish I could get a hold to the Coke that's distributed overseas and in Mexico. They use sugar instead of corn syrup (like in the true Classic formula) and it'll make your eyes water and nose run because it's so strong.

Pepsi is a lot "sharper" than Coke and it also tastes like it has more carbonation almost. I don't mind Pepsi. When I drink a regular cola, I do prefer Coke. But I so rarely drink regular colas 'cause I love Cherry Coke. And sometimes I drink Cherry Pepsi.

There are times I prefer Pepsi to Coke. But usually that's only when I've drunk too much Coke of late.

As for sodas, I DESPISE diet sodas but strangely enough cannot tell the difference between caffeinated and caffeine-free.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

sadeyedgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Nov 2005, 3:39 pm

Mushy food scares me. I will not mix my food either. It used to be real bad when I was younger I had a divided plate because if my food touched i would not eat it. Now its not so bad. I just do not like mushy food. Coke is the best and Pepsi yuck!! !! !! ! :lol:

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 5:43 pm

Fogman wrote:
I can tell the differance between Fountain Coke, (Usually watered down, and tastes bad) Glass bottle, (Tastes the way a coke should) Can, (Metallic taste, doesn't have the complexity of flavor inherant of the Glass bottle) PVC Bottle (Like the can, but minus the metallic taste)

My grandmother used to get her Coke in the original glass bottles and after they changed over to 12 oz cans, she hated the taste and hardly drinks it anymore. The Coke in 2 Liter plastic bottles tastes much stronger than in aluminum cans or even the 20oz PVCs. I guess the rate it goes flat depends on how much Coke is in the container.

Oh, and fountain drinks? I don't know why they add ice as it only makes it more tastless than it already is.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 8:12 pm

Quote:
I also have a low opinion of any chocolate where the company does not tell what strain the beans are. (Only like Criollos and Trinadadaros, even the Ecuadorian Arriba chocolate I consider mediocre (It needs that bite lacking in the inferior Forastero strain).

I'm very selective about my chocolate taste and the Godiva phenomenon (mediocre chocolate with fancy shapes and flavors) drives me crazy.

If it can't stand on its own, its not worth paying more for.

Now I feel deprived! I haven't encountered most of the brands you mentioned as being good.

I can't remember what brand it is that I buy in the health food store, but it has illustrations of endangered animals on the packaging, and that is fairly decent chocolate. It tells the cocoa content. Usually I go for 70% cocoa or more. Newman's Own is OK. I rarely ever eat milk chocolate, it tastes watered down and sugary to me.

I guess what I like about Dove and Lindt (the best quality available here, apparently), is the smoother, creamier texture coupled with a darker, more intense flavor. It is strange though, sometimes one bag of the Dove chocolate will taste off somehow and then the next bag is wonderful?! It isn't consistent.

Quote:
The Coke in 2 Liter plastic bottles tastes much stronger than in aluminum cans or even the 20oz PVCs.

Yeah, cans make soda taste crappy, and I don't like the plastic bottles, either. There isn't a whole lot of soda that I find truly appealing...but I do really enjoy the very intense and spicy ginger beer (soda) in bottles (also at the health food store, don't remember the brand). Most sodas seem to rely primarily on sugar and artificial flavor for their taste.

The list goes on...

Favorite tomato: Brandywine

Rice: Jasmine, Basmati when jasmine can't be had

Apples: I am incredibly picky about apples....will not eat Red Delicious!

Cheese: the best cheese I've ever eaten was made by Cypress Grove in California. There was a local goat cheesemaking operation that also had excellent blue cheese. Both cheeses were goat cheeses made with blue mold cultures and neither one tasted "goaty".

Grapes- I wait all year long for the few weeks when ripe Concord grapes are available and then buy them 20 lbs at a time! The rest of the year, no grapes to speak of...heh.

What is odd is that much of the food that I eat would be considered peasant fare: beans and rice, vegetable stew, and so on. I don't spend oodles of money on only the gourmet quality stuff or name brands, but when I do develop a preference for a particular item, it grates on me to eat anything else.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 8:22 pm

I only eat cheap foods generally (hamburgers are great!) though I do like some expensive meats like lamp and veal (yes I know Im horrible.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 8:24 pm

I hate orange juice from cartons. I have to it from oranges. I suck the juice.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 8:39 pm

Sophist wrote:
I don't believe I am a food "snob" because there are MANY times where I will prefer a cheaper brand or a processed brand to the more expensive kind of food. I think instead that I am actually a food "bigot" where I have hatred for certain groups of foods and even refuse to try them just simply because of the way they look. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I think that more or less sums up how I am. And I don't like mushy food either.

Oh and speaking of Coke and other sodas, I might as well bring up the issue of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) vs. pure cane sugar. Up until about the early 80s, most sodas in the US were made with pure cane sugar. Then they started slowly mixing some HFCS into the mix, and by the end of the 80s, soda was made from pure HFCS. Now, in a lot of foreign countries, soda is still made with cane sugar, and Coke also makes their products with cane sugar during Passover in some areas, since corn isn't kosher for Passover. I've tasted Coke made with cane sugar, and I would definately say it has a cleaner and more pleasant taste.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2005, 11:53 pm

chamoisee wrote:
Now I feel deprived! I haven't encountered most of the brands you mentioned as being good.

I can't remember what brand it is that I buy in the health food store, but it has illustrations of endangered animals on the packaging, and that is fairly decent chocolate. It tells the cocoa content. Usually I go for 70% cocoa or more. Newman's Own is OK. I rarely ever eat milk chocolate, it tastes watered down and sugary to me.

I guess what I like about Dove and Lindt (the best quality available here, apparently), is the smoother, creamier texture coupled with a darker, more intense flavor. It is strange though, sometimes one bag of the Dove chocolate will taste off somehow and then the next bag is wonderful?! It isn't consistent.

I didn't name more than two brands I think.

Micheal Cluizel is a Parisian company.

Schaffenberger is baking chocolate, but also some of the best eating chocolate there is. I see it in pretty much all baking stores (but at insane prices).

I'd reccomend trying some gourmet food stores. I usually get mine at "The Coffee Gallery" or a fancy food and wine store owned by one of the local supermarket chains.

There's a lot of fair trade chocolate (all seems to be by the same company with different lables) in hippy stores. Decent chocolate, but not great. What I love about it is the price.

I started buying European chocolate when the Euro was a joke. Now I'm addicted and paying 4-5 dollars a bar. Worth it, and yet. . .

And I do eat milk chocolate, as long as it's of a high quality I like it. Problem isn't the milk solids, problem is the sugar content. I'd like to try some chocolate with just the "liquer" and the milk solids, no sugar added.

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein