Do you experience joint looseness, pain, or dislocation?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have joints that are looser than average, that dislocate and pop out of joint, or cause you pain by malfunctioning in some way?
Yes- Jaw pain (or looseness, etc) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes- Jaw pain (or looseness, etc) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes- shoulders 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- shoulders 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- hands/fingers 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Yes- hands/fingers 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Yes- back/spine 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Yes- back/spine 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Yes- hips/pelvic bones 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- hips/pelvic bones 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- knees 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- knees 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Yes- ankles/feet/toes 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Yes- ankles/feet/toes 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Yes- other or more than one of the above 22%  22%  [ 14 ]
Yes- other or more than one of the above 22%  22%  [ 14 ]
NO- all my joints are tight, snug, and painless, thank you! 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
NO- all my joints are tight, snug, and painless, thank you! 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 64

AspieGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2005, 7:49 pm

Check out Fragile X syndrome >>

FACT: For between 2% and 6% of all children diagnosed with autism, the cause is the Fragile X gene mutation.
FACT: Approximately one-third of all children diagnosed with fragile X syndrome also have autism.
FACT: Fragile X syndrome is the most common known cause of autism.

http://www.fragilex.org/html/autism_and ... ndrome.htm

What Connective Tissue Problems are Associated With Fragile X?

Connective tissue includes tissue that binds together, supports and strengthens other body tissues. Some connective tissue protects and insulates internal organs. Bone, cartilage, blood and fat cells are examples of connective tissue. There are a number of physical characteristics of persons with fragile X syndrome that are associated with connective tissue.

Double-jointedness

Both males and females with fragile X may be able to hyper extend their fingers or thumbs. This double-jointedness is a result of loose connective tissue.

Ear infections

Males with fragile X are more likely than their brothers to have otitis media, ear infections, prior to puberty. This may be the result of having a floppy eustachian tube that does not drain the middle ear adequately.

Circulatory system

A significant number of males and females with fragile X have a click or murmur in the heart called mitral valve prolapse. Often in males with mitral valve prolapse, a blood vessel, the aortic root, is dilated. These abnormalities typically occur after late childhood or adolescence.

Cutis verticis gyrata

Cutis verticis gyrata is an unusual furrowing of the scalp as a result of thickening of parts of the skin. Some males with fragile X have this rare condition.

Flat feet

Finally, a very common physical feature of persons with fragile X is flat feet. Again this is related to loose connective tissue.

http://www.fragilex.org/html/connective.htm

I've got both 'funny' hips (which get 'stuck' sometimes) and the mitral valve prolapse thing in my heart. No idea if I have Fragile X Syndrome, though -- have never been tested for it.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:16 pm

CleverCait wrote:
I spoke with my neuropsych about this some time ago, who said that joint looseness can be an aspie trait which lends itself to clumsiness.

I'm not so sure that's exactly why Aspies are often clumsy. At least for myself, I am not double-jointed (well, except slighly in my elbows) and I am clumsy as hell (not in relation to my elbows).

I really think it's linked probably with possible cerebellar and other cortical abnormalities. Vestibular problems as well as Proprioceptive. And these all deal with either the brain or the inner ear (for vestibular) and the Parietal Lobes and "joint sensors" which tell the brain where our limbs are (for proprioceptive).

Though I wouldn't doubt that for many Aspies with hypermobility, this only adds to clumsiness issues most definitely.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:19 pm

I have read that there are links to hypermobility and the Autism Spectrum though. Even though NTs can get them, too. We get them by and large more frequently.

Though I don't remember where I read this. Not in a journal. Online.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:38 pm

Fragile X describes me a lot but I am not a dxed Aspie. I really have a lot of joint problems and they are just getting worse. I also have a long history of ear infections but no double jointedness.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 9:43 pm

There are certain weight machines/exercises that I avoid at the gym because it feels like my joints are popping out. Elbows are the worst, followed by shoulders and knees.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 4:48 pm

Voted for other/some of above, bc. nothing's been dx'd successfully, physically-I've just had pains that no one's found explaination for. Am dx'd w/AS, only recently. Mystery pains present since age 16 (half my life ago). My current counselor brings up muscle "hypotonia" as autistic symptom that I might have. Searched online, but only mentioned in re children & cerebral palsy-not applicable to me. Get shooting pains in my calves, like shin splints. Sore/tender areas along a line up the front of my calves.
Pain in my arches. Hurts trying to ice skate, bc. I can't well stand up straight on one leg-ankle can't support me steadily. However, when I'm on an uneven surface (stones on nature trail or boulders at beach) it's easy for me to leap along, my ankles don't mind bending & twisting the whole time.
Wretched hip pain (after having walked too much, esp. uphill) when trying to lift thigh, near where it connects to hip. Had nerve tests, shoe inserts, and podiatric therapy, to no avail. Have poor posture, shoulder/neck area always twinges w/tension (esp. when hunched at computer). Wrist & hand numbness & pain, use them so much they get exhausted rapidly. Pretty flexible, can put ankle behind my neck. Strong, but have no endurance.
Can wriggle my ears/scalp, which surprises some folks-don't we all have the same musculature ? Can raise one eyebrow at a time, can flare my nostrils. Wandered a bit off-topic, but I don't pay much attention to distinctions of "is this cartilage, muscle, or fleshy tissue"-what accounts for distribution and expression of these variables ?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 10:10 am

I can wiggle my ears, too. Independently even. I find my ears move a lot, especially when I'm smiling. I can feel them raise. Or when I hear something behind me, they raise again. My ears are surprisingly active.

Does no one else do this?