Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Rose15
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2008, 12:40 pm

What is the longest amount of time you've worked at a job? And what was the job?

I'll start. For me, the longest time I've worked at a job was 2 years, as a cashier at a stationary store.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2008, 12:53 pm

Something around seven years as programmer. Still/Again work in that area, but in another company.
But I changed jobs and companies quite a lot and seven years was exceptional, no other was longer than two years.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2008, 1:28 pm

longest period was 12 months. I've had a lot of temporary jobs though. and a lot of cleaning jobs

currently at uni though, hopefully lead to a programming job

usagi
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2008, 2:16 pm

When I have a job that I don't dislike too much and where they tolerate me (how negative is that?), I try to stay there as long as possible. I dread job seeking.

The longest time I stayed at the same company is where I am presently, about two years and a half. I stayed two years at another place. Before, when I had disposable jobs, I would stay generally six month max.

I've rarely been fired, I generally left on my own.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2008, 4:31 pm

I've had my part time job for nine years. My current full time job I've been at for five years.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:39 pm

I've been at my current job for 7 months, which is a record for me... and I deeply, deeply hate my job. The only reason why I'm still in it is because it's my first post-graduation job, and I need at least 6 months in it to even hope of getting another.

I'm applying for new jobs as much as I can.

If I find a long-term job that I like, I'll stick with it for as long as I can.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:04 pm

I find that I either stay at a job for a few weeks, or for several years. My longest was for five years with Target.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:21 pm

My family owned a business for over 30 years, but that does not count I am sure.
I was up to inherit it but got sidetracked for what I thought was love and lost the opportunity.

3 years, maintenance man.
5 years, farm and field worker (random jobs but same people year after year).
2 years packing shed and industrial cleaning, cannery.
2 years backhoe and fork lift operator.
6 years (random jobs) construction (all kinds, mason, carpentry, roofing, concrete, etc etc etc.).

I find I can keep a job just fine as long as I can work on my own.
Its when I have to deal with other people that issues arise.
I am your basic handy man, I can most always find a job when wanted or needed.
Right now I am studying HTML/C/C+/C++/Java/Pearl/etc, when I finish I plan on just working from home from then on.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 9:18 am

With medical leave 11 months.

Without maybe 6 months.

Have never been fired.

cursed_brunette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2008, 11:10 am

Oh, lets see...

If I work on my own 3.5 years, Job ended when he died. (I was/am a nurse)

If I have to work with people in the same space as me, interacting with them... 1.5 years

If I have my own cubicle & can just my job ... probably an eternity...

PEOPLE SUCK, OFFICE POLITICS REALLY SUCK!! !

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 1:34 pm

I worked at Papa John's from Sept 06 to March of this year. Started as a driver and worked my way up to shift supervisor.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:37 am

seven months but my currently job is a lot more stable and will aslt longer I think it is in a bookshop/nursary.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:25 am

The longest time I've stayed at a job is for 1 year and 5 months. That's my current job and I intend to keep doing this job for at least some time yet. It's an office job.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:45 am

I think the longest is the one I'm in now 8O So, coming up to 2 years in November this year

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 3:59 pm

5 years was my longest. And that's because it took them 5 years to fire me, because it's an unusually tolerant firm. I've been fired or pushed to leave from most other jobs I've had. Second longest: 3+ years. Most other jobs ranging from a few months to 2 years tops. I hate changing jobs, but it's my fate...

tropicalchica
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2008, 11:03 pm

The longest job I held was a dishwashing gig at my old college (I'm only 24) when I was a freshman and sophomore. I left after that. Job stability is spotty, and when I do get a job, NVLD is really tricky to manage and sometimes I really don't know I'm doing something to annoy someone else. As a college graduate of an LD-only accredited college (Florida) with a 4.0 GPA, I should be able to get a better job, but when people meet me they say I'm "too nervous" or "too shy", though I feel like I am making eye contact and being calm.

If there was a magical pill I could take to rid myself of the way I feel daily, and how difficult life is (though I'm doing my best to live it), I would take it, and actually maybe convince some employer that yes, I am the one for this job. It makes me so angry that I hide it and then someone calls me out.

I don't want hourly anymore, and I'm smart with a high IQ, I just have NVLD, and I want to hold a job longer than two years, and the average is about 4-7 months.