Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

aintnowreck
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2008, 8:57 am

Age1600 wrote:
aintnowreck wrote:
Age,

Had you tried a radio on a white-noise frequency (AM)? It's cheap and it works for me.

The Ipod thing may work.... depending what you put on it.

There are "natural sounds" recordings available on the web for free that may do the trick, like the sound of the sea or waterfalls.

A cheap way to sound proof your room would be with empty egg crates, cheaper than foam and studios have been using this for decades (plus it will protect you from injury).

It may take a while until you get enough but you can ask around and people will save them for you. You just need a dozen to cover a wall.

empty egg crates? how does that work? and how would i line them up around my room? thats very interesting... could you explain if thats possible?

Well, let's say you have an empty egg crate, which is usually a dozen eggs.

You just tape it (or use putty or a stapler) to the wall on the flat side (so the bumps come out of the wall) and repeat the procedure to cover the area.

A great thing is that you can cut them with scisors to have the appropriate length.

Now, I don't know how many walls you want to cover so it may take a few empty ones but it will make a great difference in soundproofing your room and for cheaper than foam.

You can also paint them if you want, which is great.

The styrofoam ones (white) are ok but will let sounds travel more than the grey or beige stuff.

To enhance them, you can put cotton balls in the bumps, it will make a huge difference.

You can buy a big bag of these for cheap.

Music saved my life, musicians ruined it.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:50 am

Magnesium
Magnesium deficiency causes over-sensitivity to noise. In a person who is already overly sensitive to noise this deficiency can cause it to become intolerably worse. Most of us are magnesium deficient. That's maybe why we're being told to eat more fruits and vegetables. Especially fruit. There are also magnesium supplements. Calcium and magnesium work together i.e., they help to assimilate each other and also the more calcium in your body, the more your body will crave magnesium (and be potentially more sensitive to noise). Body levels of calcium and magnesium must be kept in balance (I prefer slightly more magnesium due to my noise sensitivity issues....you might want to do the same).

B vitamins
B vitamins can't be assimilated without magnesium. I'm allergic to the synthetic stearic acid in most B vitamins now but if I can find some with natural stearic acid in them they work well. .....it's just hard to find the natural kind. Delicate nerves require a lot of B vitamins to be healthy.

Exercise
Sufficient exercise helps relax the body (as does sufficient levels of magnesium). When the whole body is relaxed via the muscular system, getting enough oxygen etc., the sensory nerves are also relaxed. Thus noises are less annoying. Exercise tends to eliminate or reduce stress and the toxic body reaction to stress. When stressed out, noise tends to be more bothersome.

Hot bath/shower
Always helps me.

Alcohol (or pain pills if you can get them)
Last resort. Alcohol might work, might not. Pain pills would be preferable to bloodying your head?

Aspirin
Works for me but I only take aspirin when I'm desperate for sleep.

Tryptophan, amino acid
You might try googling tryptophan, which is supposed to relax and/or calm the nerves.

Valium, Chamomile and other herbs
Chamomile relaxes me so much that if I drink it in the morning it will enable me to go back to sleep ---kinda the opposite of coffee. I think the nerve relaxers are called nervines but I'm not sure.

Ozone
Try googling ozone.

Music: Pachelbel (not sure of spelling)
Some music is extremely soothing, this is one.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D is a powerful stress eliminator, strengthens nerves as well as bones.

Of all these suggestions, Magnesium by far is the most important one to try. Hope you haven't forgotten the thread and that one or more of these suggestions will help you. It's been a life-long battle for me.
As an after thought...I'm also chemically sensitive, you may be too. If your body is poisoned with some chemical, it's maybe 10 times more difficult to cope with noise. Cigarette smoke, diesel exhaust from vehicles, new carpets and trailers are some of the worst for me. Mold too.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:50 am

Magnesium
Magnesium deficiency causes over-sensitivity to noise. In a person who is already overly sensitive to noise this deficiency can cause it to become intolerably worse. Most of us are magnesium deficient. That's maybe why we're being told to eat more fruits and vegetables. Especially fruit. There are also magnesium supplements. Calcium and magnesium work together i.e., they help to assimilate each other and also the more calcium in your body, the more your body will crave magnesium (and be potentially more sensitive to noise). Body levels of calcium and magnesium must be kept in balance (I prefer slightly more magnesium due to my noise sensitivity issues....you might want to do the same).

Exercise
Sufficient exercise helps relax the body (as does sufficient levels of magnesium). When the whole body is relaxed via the muscular system, getting enough oxygen etc., the sensory nerves are also relaxed. Thus noises are less annoying. Exercise tends to eliminate or reduce stress and the toxic body reaction to stress. When stressed out, noise tends to be more bothersome.

Hot bath/shower
Always helps me.

Alcohol (or pain pills if you can get them)
Last resort. Alcohol might work, might not. Pain pills would be preferable to bloodying your head?

Aspirin
Works for me but I only take aspirin when I'm desperate for sleep.

Tryptophan, amino acid
You might try googling tryptophan, which is supposed to relax and/or calm the nerves.

Valium, Chamomile and other herbs
Chamomile relaxes me so much that if I drink it in the morning it will enable me to go back to sleep ---kinda the opposite of coffee. I think the nerve relaxers are called nervines but I'm not sure.

Ozone
Try googling ozone.

Music: Pachelbel (not sure of spelling)
Some music is extremely soothing, this is one.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D is a powerful stress eliminator, strengthens nerves as well as bones.

Of all these suggestions, Magnesium by far is the most important one to try. Hope you haven't forgotten the thread and that one or more of these suggestions will help you. It's been a life-long battle for me.
As an after thought...I'm also chemically sensitive, you may be too. If your body is poisoned with some chemical, it's maybe 10 times more difficult to cope with noise. Cigarette smoke, diesel exhaust from vehicles, new carpets and trailers are some of the worst for me. Mold too.