Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

MemberSix wrote:
Keith wrote:
Knowing the diagnosis... If people don't believe me or say I'm faking it, I can produce proof

What difference will it make if they DO know ?

I doubt they'll make any meaningful allowances.
And even if they do, you'll be lumped in with 'ret*ds' and treated accordingly.

I try to fit in rather than standing out even more.
Only my very closest know that I'm a spectrumite.

Trying to fit in is not being yourself. Doing this would make you seem more unusual. I said the diagnosis because, should I wish to tell people, and there is only a select few close friends that I do, I can say it's no longer my mind. I hate it when people think I am lying when I'm not. (sounds like another thread on here) Many people seem not to believe me until I show proof. Family really

I seem to be very good at selecting friends, the closest ones I choose to tell are still my friends, they talk to me the same, and one of them is finally understanding me. I believe it can make a friendship much stronger with the right people.

-This is just a general response and no arguing is intended from this post

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
lionesss wrote:
The diagnosis is for me.

OK.
But you'd be just the same without it.
Yes you would but what is wrong with getting a professional opinion? I'm no doctor if you are, it is good to have your own suspicions backed up by someone who has a lot of experience with hundreds of different cases.

If you are so supremely confident in your own self diagnosis don't go.

Wild horses couldn't drag me to get an official dx - it disqualifies you from a frightening number of things.
It's something I'd rather only myself (and a select few) knew.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 11:02 am

MemberSix wrote:
intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
lionesss wrote:
The diagnosis is for me.

OK.
Yes you would but what is wrong with getting a professional opinion? I'm no doctor if you are, it is good to have your own suspicions backed up by someone who has a lot of experience with hundreds of different cases.

Wild horses couldn't drag me to get an official dx - it disqualifies you from a frightening number of things.
Well that’s your choice but my Dx hasn’t prevented me from doing anything my AS has done though.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
lionesss wrote:
The diagnosis is for me.

OK.

Well that’s your choice but my Dx hasn’t prevented me from doing anything my AS has done though.

No, I'm talking about getting into certain lines of work, health insurance, stuff like that.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

MemberSix wrote:
intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
intense wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
lionesss wrote:
The diagnosis is for me.

OK.

No, I'm talking about getting into certain lines of work, health insurance, stuff like that.
I don't know what country you live in but how will a Dx affect your health insurance? it's not a terminal illness people with AS are as physically healthy and have the same life expectancy as anyone else, I'm not disagreeing with you here I know what insurance companies are like.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:22 am

prillix wrote:
Knowing your exact diagnosis

Or

Just knowing that there is a reason as to why you are different, and that you are not the only one

What is more important?

I think that depends on severity. If you need meds knowing your exact diagnosis is important. If you don't just finding people who are like you is good enough

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:41 am

Know thyself topic

I like my reflective consciousness. I think...therefore, I have thoughts. Thoughts of me, shades of me. Then thoughts and shades of YOU.

The more you are aware, the closer comes the realization... :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2008, 8:52 am

It was an overwhelmingly awesome feeling to know that I'm not the only weird one in the universe. The diagnosis just gives it a name. Things are easier to cope with when they have a name. When things have a name, that means that there's at least one other guy out there who is at least a little the same.

For me, it was wonderful to know that I'm not the only one. The diagnosis didn't become important until I started questioning other parts of my life in this horrid battle with my ex. I had to face the diagnosis and give it a name so that other people didn't think that I was the only one either. No one else should be able to make your differences make a case for incompetence for you. Your differences should bolster your competencies, not prove you're not competent.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:05 am

They sort of go hand in hand. I love my DX because it finally makes sense of all the s**t I have been through. I can have a laugh at some of the behaviours of others on this forum because I can identify with it. It is great to belong to a group however disjointed that group may be. However don't mistake me, I really wish that I did not have any sort of disorder, but having answers for my behaviour is fantastic

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx