Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2008, 4:13 am

when i'm class i try really hard to listen and keep focus but then it gets almost unbearable...i want to scream at the top of my lungs flail in frustration and run out of the room and go home...i can keep myself from the flailing but it turns into major fidgeting..and i stretch instead....up to a point where i think i may look stupid to the other people in the class including the professor....it can stop for a bit then it happens again and again all the way to the end...i just can't seem to stay calm for too long...and this is barely like my second week at school and i wonder how long i can hold on...this is driving me mad.....

does anyone else feel like this, what do you do?

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:34 am

I was more this way when I was younger. I eventually learned to just become hyper focused on my work. One of the ways I did this is to write down what is being said in a notebook so I stay focused on that instead of sitting there with nothing to do while trying to pay attention. I would also read through the text book while waiting for any reason if there was nothing else to do in class. This also had the side effect of improving performance since I tended to have extensive notes to review any time.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2008, 4:39 am

thanks ^^

i don't necessarily have nothing to do, i space out into head...its quite the struggle...but
i'll try to do that...though i can't write anywhere as nearly as fast as the professors speak...

any other suggestions are welcome =)

janjt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2008, 9:39 am

Like many spectrum folks, your body is craving physical input to stay awake and alert -- this is a sensory deficit, and causes you to fidget. I'm an NT, and I fidget all the time, too -- it's very common.

Try bringing something you can manipulate to class, like a Koosh ball or even a rubber band. You can also try sucking on really sour candies or drinking strong lemonade from a water bottle. Some people also wear a beaded bracelet and fidget with the beads.

A great book on this topic is The Out of Sync Child -- it has some excellent information on why we do this and what you can do to 'soothe' the fidget craving!

Good luck in school!!

janjt

05 Sep 2008, 9:41 am

If you can't write as fast as the professor speaks, go to the disability resource center on campus, and ask for a note taker!! !

You have the legal write to this accommodation under ADA law. Use it!! ! An alternative is to ask the professor if you can tape record the lectures. Again, by law, you have this right!

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2008, 2:17 pm

Ask your lecturer if you could leave a dictaphone at the front of the class many classes allow this due to the number of dyslextic students. One of my friends was a terrible fidgeter during lectures I bought him a squashy brain to give him something to do.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2008, 2:19 am

I fidget a lot in class, but I don't mind, and I don't think anyone else minds either, at least I hope not :)

Unless of course I get a squeaky desk or chair. Then I get annoyed and I'm sure everyone else is too :(

If you can't write as fast as the professor talks get a note taker, audio recorder, or ask the professor for copies of his notes that he lectures from. Your universities disability services can help you get one of those.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2008, 4:53 am

Ledvia wrote:
when i'm class i try really hard to listen and keep focus but then it gets almost unbearable...i want to scream at the top of my lungs flail in frustration and run out of the room and go home...i can keep myself from the flailing but it turns into major fidgeting..and i stretch instead....up to a point where i think i may look stupid to the other people in the class including the professor....it can stop for a bit then it happens again and again all the way to the end...i just can't seem to stay calm for too long...and this is barely like my second week at school and i wonder how long i can hold on...this is driving me mad.....

does anyone else feel like this, what do you do?

I fidget when ever i don't feel comfortable about how i sit or sumthin, yeh i did it in school and now i do it in trains, people always are looking at me like im nervous, and yes i act like im stretching....but really its just cos i have so much energy i wanna burst, like if i gotta figure something out or i impatiently want the train to bloody get to where i need it, i have only recently figured out how to fix this prob, i know it seems silly, and against the normal aspergers morals & normally i don't drink or smoke cos i hate copying others, but seriously, give it a try by yourself, I had a smoke after a long stretch of not letting myself get tempted and it did help......just don't do it if you have a low WILLPOWER, otherwise you'll end up addicted and buying smokes whenever you run out

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:06 pm

janjt wrote:
If you can't write as fast as the professor speaks, go to the disability resource center on campus, and ask for a note taker!! !

You have the legal write to this accommodation under ADA law. Use it!! ! An alternative is to ask the professor if you can tape record the lectures. Again, by law, you have this right!

Pfft. You can have that stuff, but only after jumping through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops. I'm still trying to get stuff sorted out with my uni's disability office, and school's been in session a couple weeks now. Already turned in my first paper. They might let me have quiet testing room as it stands now, but to have note-taking or typing on tests I need to go take a bunch of tests to prove to them I'm actually autistic.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 9:52 am

I fidget all the time. It was ok in school, I wasn't the only fidgety kid there, but at work it's damn near unbearable. I take apart anything I can get my hands on... probably why the boss won't let me in the back room. I mean really anything! I took apart 17 pens the other day and organised them into different groups of what parts are swappable and what ones weren't.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2008, 9:06 pm

i'm going to try the center at my school and hope they don't give me the run around....i went today but something about the person not being there so now i have to wait....

its only been like two weeks and i've been having some difficulties since the start but now that the work is starting to pile its getting harder and i just don't want to fail...unfortunately that's not my only problem....ugh

Myles17
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2008, 10:18 am

umm no. I think most everyone fidgets in class at somepoint. I go to a community college, and anyone who sits next to me in my history class always fidgets. I don't know why, but they sweat and fidget.. no matter who it is. Maybe I make them nervous. Just play with a pen or something.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 2:36 pm

uhm, i recall saying that wasn't my only problem....
and also the fidgeting isn't just a fidget, its due to serious attention deficits...
because of course a lot people fidget i've seen it but it doesn't disrupt their focus...
but like i said, that's not my only reason for getting help...

Myles17
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2008, 1:55 pm

:? I misread. I go through the same thing in my math class. It's from a combination of boredom and people moving around me. There is this girl who sits in front of me and she shakes up and down, and this guy/girl two seats over who spins around. We have chairs that spin and he/she spins for almost the entire 3 hours. I get to the point where my eyes are bugged out and I start to fidget. I sit with one leg crossed over the other. (not sure how to describe it, but the way a guy sits). And i kind of stretch my foot slowly...lol... This helps.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 1:51 am

Myles17 wrote:
:? I misread. I go through the same thing in my math class. It's from a combination of boredom and people moving around me. There is this girl who sits in front of me and she shakes up and down, and this guy/girl two seats over who spins around. We have chairs that spin and he/she spins for almost the entire 3 hours. I get to the point where my eyes are bugged out and I start to fidget. I sit with one leg crossed over the other. (not sure how to describe it, but the way a guy sits). And i kind of stretch my foot slowly...lol... This helps.

i have come to find that chewing helps me....i like chewy foods so yay.....though it doesn't stop the restlessness itself....and like Anniemaniac's post there are demands in college...and i was unaware how much the social demand is....its very exhausting and my classes are quite rowdy....and if they're loud enough they scare me...makes me want to cry...theres just so much stimulation in class.....and don't have time to process everything...so i tend to miss parts in the lecture and such...and i have a below average memory so even if i hear it there isnt enough time to process and get it to stick....services are giving me notes..but that only helps with one of my many concerns....and since i've never had any services i still need to have services explained and im not really sure what else i might need.....and the fidgeting....well it looks odd....very exaggerated....and very constant well now not as much since i chew...but constant changing seating positions, stretching, shaking legs, swinging legs, etc lots of stuff going on...and i think i went off topic then came back...oh well....yeah...

but yeah besides you can't get services just by asking you need proof, an evaluation and what not...xD