Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:16 pm

1. How many of you liked to grow up when you were children?

Growing up meant I had more responsibility which also meant I was able to do as I saw fit without anyone throwing a fit saying I was too young to do what I wanted. So the answer to that question is a yes.

2. How many adults hate aging, growing old?

I look forward to growing old. There won’t be as much pressure to ‘fit in’. I can be the crazy cat lady and not many people will try to change that.

3. What does growing up mean to you?

I’ll give you the accepted definition of ‘grow up’ as it pertains to the natives in my area.

You need to get a job so you can afford to buy all those neat toys like the ones that we have. After all; life is a competition to see who can obtain the coolest toys before they die. If you can’t obtain said toys, you will be shunned at social gatherings, because adults love to spend money to show that they are worthy human beings.

You need to find a mate, because a woman wants to take care of a man and a man needs a woman to take care of him. There will be none of that, “I can take care of myself” bull hockey going on around here.

You need to pop out a couple of kids, because you aren’t really a man/woman until you done so and because God says so.

And for god’s sake, toilet humor is not an acceptable form of adult humor. [/sarcasm]

Granted, everyone in my area does not think that way about growing up and being an adult.

My definition of growing up is simply; pay your bills. It’s no fun trying to explain to you parents why you need to borrow money to pay a past due bill. “I was being an immature dumb dumb by wanting instant gratification.”

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:20 pm

1 How many of you liked to grow up when you were children?
I did, because when I was a kid I had this "belief" that once I had gotten older my life would be "better". I felt that way in my early teens when school was at its worst for me and I was right during my college years.. those were the best years of my life. But now being in my 30's I think pretty much sucks and its just gonna keep getting better right? I regret wishing to rush my age so much now.

2 How many adults hate aging, growing old?
I do!! I am already developing some health ailments. Things that I never had to deal with when I was younger.

3 What does growing up mean to you?
Being a responsible human being... but we don't need to grow up too fast as we need to throw some play time in there as well.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:24 am

Warsie wrote:
Loborojo wrote:

If I was 11 or so I wanted to be 18. Now I'm cool with my age and wish I was younger due to several BS laws

Quote:

BS term to say stop being who you are, stop having fun, etc...that and 'childish things' you like..

what is BS?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:43 am

Dying

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:51 am

nt language....growing up = join them

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:53 pm

Quote:

I didn't consider it. I was young, so the prospect of becoming an adult at one time later on was totally out of the picture to me. I also couldn't relate to the idea of changing from me to an adult.

Quote:

As long as I am not expected to act in a certain way, I do not mind it. Though I hate having to die. And as the time passes by I always feel a little closer to death.

I also can't imagine changing even more. Getting wrinkles, becoming smaller, old, slow, etc.

Quote:

I don't know. I do not feel as if I have grown up a lot in the past years. I do not feel a change that is intrinsic to who I am, I couldn't tell of having experienced a change that I cannot just avoid or return to the former state. I feel as young as always and I can relate just fine to my memories and action to when I was a little kid.

For all I know, all that changed is that I have seen more of the world and became more experienced. Maybe I was never a kid to begin with or I'm just immune to the ageing of the mind... no idea.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:56 pm

Accepting greater levels of maturity and responsibility.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2019, 12:11 am

When I was 27 I really wanted to be 28

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 1:44 am

When this thread ran in 2008 I wanted to post to it in 2019.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 3:30 am

Loborojo wrote:

I liked getting older as a kid. It made me feel bigger and more important. I didn't mind growing out of things as a kid, since it all came naturally and gradually as I advanced into older childhood and teen years.
The only thing I hated, was hitting puberty.

I hated turning 18, 20 and 30 though.That wasn't growing up, that was growing old as far as I was concerned.

Loborojo wrote:

Me! Me, me, me!! !
I hate growing older, I hate my body growing older. There is absolutely no positives to it whatsoever.

Loborojo wrote:

It can mean different things depending on context. Some of them include:

- simply the act of growing up (reaching adult age)

- maturing

- (to some) giving up on fun things

and the contrasting maybe even hypocritical one: when I say/think it to/about someone else: They are annoying and need to stop being so immature!
When someone else says it to/about me: These (insert word) want me to not have fun/ show (true) feelings, and are annoying people I just think should shut up and leave me alone!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 4:25 am

1 Me
2 Not me - I could do with looking 30 or at least looking 20. I would hate to look older than my age though, I sympathise with people who do that. I still want to grow up!
3 The way that phrase is used it means 'act more NT/act more boring'. Been there done that, fed up of masking.
4 The real - literal - meaning has to do with chronological age. Look - I'm over 17, therefore I'm a grownup. I just didn't grow very tall or very boring.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 8:43 am

1. I looked forward to it. Unfortunately, my process began much later than is considered normal and some adult milestones will never be reached.

2. I hate the idea of growing old.

3. Growing up means becoming progressively more responsible and accomplishing something in life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

Loborojo wrote:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Loborojo wrote:
Me.
Loborojo wrote:
Taking on responsibility for myself (not blaming others), being accountable, supporting myself, my family, my community, and my country. Going to work to earn a living.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.