Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 10:15 pm

Monasticism sounds like an example of having extreme Asperger's syndrome made into a lifestyle. Monks follow extremely rigid routines. They have set times in the day when they have to say certain prayers. Their thinking is devoted to God. They take vows of silence. It sounds like an absolutely miserable way to live, but apparently some people are okay with it. Anyway, it sounds like Asperger's syndrome.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2005, 10:25 pm

I could live like that if I didn't love women so much and believed in God.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2005, 3:51 pm

Sometimes I feel like one, when I'm busy with a project (which I can do for hours on end).

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 4:26 pm

Kiss_my_AS wrote:
Sometimes I feel like one, when I'm busy with a project (which I can do for hours on end).

completely off topic, i just wanted to say that i love your user name! lol. i wish i'd thought of that!

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2005, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the Kudos, hecate.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 5:07 pm

you're welcome, kiss my AS.

hmmm...... that didn't sound right!

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 5:32 pm

interesting connection! i never noticed that. they definitely are similar, although i don't know if i could live a life like that!

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Nov 2005, 2:42 am

It does sound kinda like Aspergers! The church has historically been a last resort for people of unusual mental types, though they were horribly cruel to people with full blown mental disability. I often wish I could join a monestary myself, but more for the non-competitive lifestyle than the repetition. Unfortunately I have not found any tolerable church that I can reach that would accept (and board) an incorruptible agnostic atheist AS.

Our universities could be monestaries! Unfortunately though, people think it's a horrible sin these days to live your life without making money for someone else, so you can't find solace at universities for long before good people spit on your name (and remove financial aid). Otherwise I think they'd make great monestaries.