Another new year at University...

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2008, 6:46 pm

I'm relatively new here, and I'd just like to get some things off my shoulders.

After taking some business courses, as well as every other course required for my University's business faculty (The Asper School of Business), I've been accepted into it on my second try, and I have two years left in my degree.

But, I kind of feel that being officially accepted into the faculty has left me feeling more alienated then ever.

Before I was accepted, I was just an 'outsider' taking some courses, and most of the 'regular' faculty students didn't pay much attention to me. Once you actually get in, it's another story entirely. Suddenly, the experience of just being one of the 'insiders' is more important than the actual courses themselves. If there is one thing my faculty likes to push, it's all the 'extras' that all come back to networking. Banquets, Socials, Wine & Cheese's, Pub Crawls, Council Meetings, and Major-specific student groups all become more important than your actual classes.

The thing is, I *love* business classes. Especially Human Resources and Marketing, which I'm double majoring in. I know, really weird majors for an Aspie, but I've found that they've helped me understand what people are really thinking. On a large scale though, sometimes it doesn't translate too well on a small scale.

Problem is though, most people in the business school are really outgoing, me...I need to work on it. "Networking" seems so alien to me at this point. I get their names, I know what they do, I know where they're from, but everyone still feels like a complete stranger. It'll take some getting used to.

I've signed up for multiple groups and clubs, and I already know a couple of people by name and face already from taking classes with them, but I suppose things will get better when I actually get in the swing of things. It's only the first week.

Nice to get that load off. Bye for now!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 7:05 pm

I wish you every success.