Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 9:46 pm

Aspies are known for being loners per sé. Alot claim to be content with being by themselves, and thats fine, everybody needs their alone time. But would you say, if you had the option, that you would chose being alone instead of being a social magnet?

If you are like me, yeah, being alone can feel great, compared to the alternative, rejection. After spendng years and years of trying, oh so trying to fit in, sometimes it feels like nothing can be better then not trying, cause by not trying, there is no failure.

It is very understandable that a lifetime of rejection could stop people from even wanting company, but for me, i will die before giving up on that. I want to get married, have a boy and a girl, and live the life i feel i deserve, and the only thing that is going to stand in my way is my own death, whether planned or not.

So are you content being alone? Are you still reaching for that life that you deserve or have you given up?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:44 pm

I don't think I could handle being the social magnet. I can take it only in small amounts with breaks, otherwise I make negative progress with people anyway. It's stressful, and then they all get a bad impression!

What do I deserve? Would I be better off married? Might raising parrots be better for me than raising children? I don't forsee becoming a hermit or an animal hoarder, though.

Lately I have been asking why should I participate in large gatherings? What am I supposed to accomplish with this? What's the point? Until my situation changes, it will amount to little more than unwanted probing of "what I do" and having to explain myself. Pointless and not enjoyed by me.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 08 Sep 2008, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:48 pm

I know that being alone is more relaxing and easier than being with people. Still, I do crave a higher level of social interaction. Just a pity that it hurts and that I suck at it.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm

I love being alone but I always love being with my dog!! !

I spend more time alone. I crave social interaction and I always want to hangout with close friends.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:51 pm

I am content being by myself, because I love myself and I'm comfortable in my own skin. Besides, the majority of people annoy me.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:02 am

I go back and forth.

Right now, I am content with being alone. Peace and quiet are nice and I move at my own pace.

Other times, I do feel having some level of intimacy would be nice, but then I remember many things I would rather forget and revert back to being content of being alone.

I don't know if I am capable of handling a relationship anymore. I don't know if I have anything of value to give in a relationship anymore. I say this for there are days I crave solitude and don't want to utter a single word -not even talk to myself. I get lost in my daydreams and I am happy. What woman would want to tolerate that, let alone understand it???

09 Sep 2008, 12:07 am

I love being alone. I used to get lonely when I was single but now I don't mind being alone as much because I have a partner.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:29 am

I don't seem to have too much choice so, yes.

Pundit23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2008, 12:35 am

Being alone is comfortable but having at least one good friend would be nice. Two or three if life is, as I am expecting, a scripted reality show.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:18 am

I don't really need friends. I don't have any right now, unless you count the one who just moved away.

Unfortunately, I will have to start networking somehow if I expect to get better conditions for the autistics in my area... I hope I can manage it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:31 am

I do not want to be alone...I am definitely reaching for the life I feel I deserve, one with deep bonds in it. I feel a deep need to be with people. I'm fascinated by them; I just can't connect with them easily :(
But I'm not sure I want to be a social magnet, either. I just want to be able to interact comfortably with the people around me.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:35 am

I think I've given up entirely on human beings. It isn't something I recommend though.

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2008, 2:06 am

I can't stand parties or large gatherings. In that sense, I'm a loner.

I like staying up late at night by myself. In that sense, I'm a loner.

Being totally alone? I can't stand it.

When I was still living with my parents, they nicknamed me "Spot." If they went out, and told me they'd be back at X o'clock, and were not back exactly *then*, I'd wait at the door for them. My parents, for their part, are super-punctual, so if they're late, one worries. Also, I *do* value my alone time. Even if I'm doing something perfectly harmless, I like the idea of doing it by myself. So I fear my "alone time" being interrupted and having that zone broken.

But, generally, I can't stand being completely alone for too long.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:23 am

I like being alone and having the freedom with that.

hal9000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2008, 2:38 am

I've always been a loner. I don't enjoy it but to me its the lesser of two evils. Whenever I am forced to interact socially I get drained and I need the downtime by myself to recharge. Also most of the people I work with are liars, gossips and downright wicked. I just wasn't made for this life. I don't want to sound negative but it is just reality.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:04 am

I could stand having a few friends in the future, or immediate family to hang out with but that's as far as my comfort level will allow.