Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 1:17 pm

I'd tell you the many ways in which I offend people, but I have to leave some server space for other threads on WP, so I'll pass for now :D :D :D

My specialty:

In an attempt to make smalltalk, talk about the wrong topic to the wrong person. Such as talk about French cuisine to someone who eats only Kosher.

What are your unique specialties for offending people?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 1:32 pm

I think I annoy people by being pedantic and criticising all errors they may have made. Verbal, written, grammar. Sometimes these comments just fall out my mouth, I believe I'm just helping, but I could just as equally be offending them

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 1:32 pm

Haha, true, I've been known to do that. My specialty is my gallows sense of humor. I don't discriminate between horrible and funny sometimes, and I frequently attempt to make a joke, only to be told later (by another person) that the thing I was joking about is something that my "audience" suffered a personal tragedy over....

It's absurdly conicidental sometimes...

Also, I point things out sometimes that people are embarassed or unsure about. It's never a value judgement from me, but i'll say "nice hat" if I notice a hat they're wearing, but I deliver it wrong and people assume I'm being mean.

People always assume I'm being mean :roll:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 1:46 pm

patternist wrote:
Haha, true, I've been known to do that. My specialty is my gallows sense of humor. I don't discriminate between horrible and funny sometimes, and I frequently attempt to make a joke, only to be told later (by another person) that the thing I was joking about is something that my "audience" suffered a personal tragedy over....

I do it too, big time ;p

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:02 pm

yup.
Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person!!
It sounds great in my head, but once it comes out, OPPS!!

I don't 'read' other people's signals.

Everyone else just thinks I'm a passive-aggressive SOB. People tend to forget me too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:20 pm

By pointing out the "elephant in the living room" that everybody else is pretending to ignore.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

Walking into a room.

Talking to someone's girlfriend.

Telling it like it is, instead of sugarcoating it.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

Greentea wrote:
I'd tell you the many ways in which I offend people, but I have to leave some server space for other threads on WP, so I'll pass for now :D :D :D

My specialty:

In an attempt to make smalltalk, talk about the wrong topic to the wrong person. Such as talk about French cuisine to someone who eats only Kosher.

What are your unique specialties for offending people?

I don't get how they would offend them. I mean, if you where making fun of it sure, but just metioning it is no reason for them to get thier panties in a wad.

I hate when people get offended over crap when the person never meant to offend in the first place.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:28 pm

another one: getting people's name wrong. and when they correct me saying "whatever" ;p

I just know I'm not gonna remember their names anyway (even if I'll remember the face till I'm old and bony)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

I'm very passive-aggressive.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:02 pm

The way I drive in traffic. Also the way I stare at people without having a reply in my mind.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:07 pm

I have learned a lot over the years. so I rarely unintentionally offend anyone (except for my neighbor, apparently she is holding a grudge against me because I didn't say "hi" to her once, and at that time I was busy juggling my 2 kids who were much younger at the time) But if I offend someone today, its rarely unintentional... AND only if there was a reason for it!

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 3:08 pm

I get really easily understimulated - it's not because I'm bored, it's just I'm used to multitasking and I focus better while doing several things than doing one. Unfortunately, many people (namely teachers) seem to not see the difference, and think that I'm being disrespectful or not paying attention by drawing, knitting, sewing, etc. while someone's talking. What (some) don't realize is that I actually am participating and learning more when I'm doing something with my hands, whereas I drift off into thought, and sometimes into sleep, if I'm without enough to occupy myself.

Also, though I've gotten somewhat better at diplomacy over the years, I'm still prone to pointing out a major problem when I see it, regardless of status or any other factors. As I've gotten higher up in the world, this is thankfully known better as an "eye for detail" and "being thorough," which has worked in my favor. However, I still occassionally run into issues with people who are obsessed with control and being right at all costs, even the truth.

I don't remember names or faces well - a big problem when one's own face (as well as other traits...) is highly recognizable. I once actually got in trouble with my school for not knowing my classmates' names for several months, but that school's emphasis on social skills above all else is another story. I've gotten better about avoiding mentioning the fact that I have no idea who this or that person talking to me is, however.

....And of course, in writing, my tendency towards writing extremely long sentences (stemming probably from trying to fit one idea into one sentence exactly) bugs the crap out of my professors.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2008, 4:19 pm

My echolalia annoys people.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 4:22 pm

By taking people at their word. We were at a dinner party, and I asked for a beer. Our host told me to help myself from his fancy "beer chiller." I noticed he had some yummy beer from Belgium, and asked if I could have one. He told me to feel free and drink whatever I wanted. So I did, and boy oh boy was he angry ! !!

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2008, 4:33 pm

Opps I read the topic wrong I thought it was how to annoy people. I offend people by being to blunt and honest.