Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

magic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 1:06 pm

I had a persistent headache whole last week. I usually try to wait headaches out and stay away from medication, because I am alergic to many over-the-counter drugs. But I couldn't concentrate at all and do any work, so in desperation I decided to start work days by taking 2 tablets of Tylenol (generic names: acetaminophen, paracetamol). The result? I discovered that Tylenol does not clear my head, but instead makes me sleep. 30-45 minutes after swallowing the tablets I would fall asleep at my desk, and then wake up occasionally only to drift to sleep again. This state lasts for around 2 hours, despite my efforts to stay awake. OK, no more Tylenol at work... :-(

I wonder if anyone else experienced such a reaction to Tylenol? It's not the only drug that I react to differently than most people. Hmmm... The good thing is I feel vindicated in my mistrust toward pills!

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2005, 1:34 pm

Magic,
I've never had a reaction like that to Tylenol, however, I know my Mom used to. Maybe you could try Advil or something else? Maybe if you're feeling up to it, you could try some relaxation techniques instead of pills?

Hope it works out for you.
Mellow

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2005, 1:57 pm

Same here. Tylenol does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to releive pain for me, but it's great at making me fall asleep.

Try Excedrin. It contains a much better pain releiver along with caffeine.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2005, 3:55 pm

Eh, if you want sleep...it's NyQuil you're after.

Make sure to get it in the green death flavour. :)

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 3:56 pm

Juts tyloneol eh? not an allergy treatment headache treatment combined? I've never heard of anything like that.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 4:30 pm

weird. why do they have tylenol PM then?

get advill. it should probably work better!

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 4:33 pm

Tylenol will make me sleep. My doctor told me to use it as a sleep aid when the Ambien didn't work. It puts me right to sleep.

Conversely, I can't take it for a headache if I know I will be driving. It makes me feel very chilled and not at all alert.