Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 10:13 pm

Just now Im trying to do an assignment on aspie schools and I know someone from here who goes to one (not giving out any names.) He said yesterday that I could interview him but I ended up freaking him out to much that now hes not going to do the interview. This means I screwed up any chance at a friendship and any chance at doing this assignment (his interview was going to be one of the key parts to it :(.

PS does anyone else here go to a school with just aspies/ or have a kid who does??? probably not but worth asking

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 10:15 pm

interviews are the devil :twisted:

maybe he will calm a little and give you a chance tommorow?.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 10:18 pm

he seems pretty content on it I dont quite get why.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2005, 11:45 pm

you'll do better again next time.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 1:52 am

Quote:
Just now Im trying to do an assignment on aspie schools and I know someone from here who goes to one (not giving out any names.) He said yesterday that I could interview him but I ended up freaking him out to much that now hes not going to do the interview. This means I screwed up any chance at a friendship and any chance at doing this assignment (his interview was going to be one of the key parts to it Sad.

PS does anyone else here go to a school with just aspies/ or have a kid who does??? probably not but worth asking

Well...that depends first, on what you asked. Second, it depends on whether he was "in a good place," and my suggestion is that you go back tomorrow and say something like "Well, that didn't work out, but want to try again?"

Also, how do you do the interview (do you put a tape recorder down, as one or two questions and let it run (believe me, you'll get good stuff out of something like that), or do you come with a bunch of questions that he doesn't have any idea of the answers to....

What are your assumptions about him? Are you NT? 'cause you can be sure that he's just trying to make it, and to be asked, "so, how does it feel to be different," is a pretty disturbing question to most people. I once asked one of my deaf friends "So, what's it like to be deaf?" And she smiled at me, this great big warm smile, and put both her hands on top of mine, and then said "I dunno, what's it like to be able to hear?"

Oh, God, did I really ask her that stupid a question?

Yeah, I did, and then she started laughing, but I felt awful until she said, "Okay, let's start again."

Also, I know one guy who was supposed to give a presentation on Asperger's. The guy who was introducing him got something wrong, and this man (adult) got so upset that he got up and went home.

In a very tactful way, you might try again.

Oh, yeah, and when you're dealing with schools, even good ones, a lot of people have had very bad experiences with them, even the good ones, and you get to the point where the anger just wells up, and you can't talk....or it's too complicated. Ask very few questions, and do a lot of listening.

Best
Beentheredonethat
RES