Can you detect when a person is lying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 10:59 am

It's hard for me to tell when a person is lying like when they are trying to take advantage or use you. I usually ask once then maybe ask again are you sure? then i'll be like ok. It's hard to come up with follow-up questions to try to figure out.

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2008, 11:03 am

when your dealing with a liar questioning it is almost futile. If thye ARE infact lying and you bring it to their attention they are just going to try to cover the lie up better. So the best way to see if someone is lying is by looking in there eyes usually when someone is lying they look nervous, dont look you in the eye, or try to give themselves time to think (example: uhhhh.. hmmmj.. or repeat what you said to stall it)

to answer your question I am horrible at detecting liars. They usually catch me off guardwith the lie and it goes over my head. I know this because sometimes I'll think back on it later on and figure out they were lying. however, im better now than i was when i was a kid. I used to hate liars(still do) but sometimes people would laugh at me that i believe something they said and its just a big turnoff i'd usually stop talkingto those people. Human nature's ugly side starts very young.

Last edited by Mindovermatter on 14 Sep 2008, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

I tend to either be a sucker or totally paranoid, with no happy medium. It can also be helpful to apply some rhetoric to the situation you may or may not be being lied about to, but ultimately I'm almost tempted to say that if you're wondering if someone's lying in the first place, they very likely are.

Landaree
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2008, 11:10 am

I am naturally suspicious and skeptic, so I often become questioning.

But if there's nothing to question because it's a “take it or leave it” kind of thing, and the only giveaway is body language, then sure, I can be lied to.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2008, 11:20 am

I have so much trouble with detecting lies, I am constantly asking, "Are you lying?" I just can't tell. I have read some body language books that give you tips on how to detect a lie but I have never known when to use them. Here are some I remember:

- If you suspect that a person is lying to you then ask them about something that you know is true. Watch if they act differently. Ask them a couple of different questions that you know are true and watch how the person acts, then ask them about what you think they might have been lying about and see if their body language suddenly changes.

- If you think someone is lying about something they have seen, ask them to describe it and watch to see if their eyes start to look upwards while they think. Apparently alot of people look upwards when remembering something visual, although not everyone. If they don't look up they are more likely to be lying but it's not 100% accurate.

- I also remember reading something else about when someone is lying about something they remember. Say, for example if someone was telling me about hearing something about me. If they are telling the truth they are more likely to mention feelings like "I felt like this when they said that" or "I thought about how you might feel". When people lie they tend to miss out emotions.

Sorry if none of that makes any sense, if it doesn't just say and i'll try to explain better.

By the way these are only things i've read they may or may not be correct.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:23 am

__biro wrote:
- If you suspect that a person is lying to you then ask them about something that you know is true. Watch if they act differently. Ask them a couple of different questions that you know are true and watch how the person acts, then ask them about what you think they might have been lying about and see if their body language suddenly changes.

The problem there is that, while it can detect lying, it can also detect a person's emotions being different about one situation than another.

Quote:
- I also remember reading something else about when someone is lying about something they remember. Say, for example if someone was telling me about hearing something about me. If they are telling the truth they are more likely to mention feelings like "I felt like this when they said that" or "I thought about how you might feel". When people lie they tend to miss out emotions.

Lots of autistic people don't describe emotions either, or describe them erratically.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:24 am

Sometimes I can tell and sometimes I can't.

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2008, 11:28 am

its important to remember some people know how to beat lie detector tests. With these individuals you can almost NEVER know if theyre lying. it's always a good thing to ask around other peoples opinion about the person. If lots of people say negative things then there you go.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:28 am

Yes, very well. I can't at all sense what a person's a feeling though, but if they do not tell the truth or avoid it I find it very easy to detect. Just like these people who train to recognise a liar by that liar just saying no or yes to a question. But I could always do that. I don't know why, I just immediately sense that there is something off.

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2008, 11:30 am

Not much, although I easily detect sarcasm.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:38 am

Only if it's something that I know is absurd.

From nonverbal and verbal cues, not at all.

Trust no one, and all that.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:47 am

I've managed to catch two people out :D Online though. I have a few simple rules. Let THEM give the information. I managed to find some stranger talking to me to be my friend checking me out and that same friend pretending to have a boyfriend. I am good at detecting lies on line like this but in person I am soo screwed

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 1:42 pm

It depends on the information and the source, how I judge if it's a lie or not.

I generally don't believe any rumor that implies I should do anything immediately.
I generally can not be sold anything. I only spend money when I need something.

If I hear contradictions, I passively maintain cognitive dissonance until I know the truth.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 1:54 pm

No, I can't tell when someone's lying. I'm too lazy to google-check someone's statements, so I won't know it if they're bending facts or not, and in real life I can't read expressions or intentions well enough to figure it out there, either. As a result, I trust no one, or at best, I will trust people only just so far until they prove me wrong. And I almost never believe anything I read online 100% unless it comes from a reputable source.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 2:09 pm

Quote:
It's hard to come up with follow-up questions to try to figure out.

Have you tried writing down follow-up questions instead of verbalizing them?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 4:21 pm

I am very poor with most aspects of lie-detection. My strength is in detecting inconsistencies and self-contrary commentary, but not all liars are inconsistent or self-contrary...