Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NUFC_Fan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2008, 12:13 pm

I don't know if I have aspergers or not, but I'm pretty sure I do. However, I'm not sure if I should seek diagnosis. I haven't told anyone about this. I think it may be better for me to just assume I am an undiagnosed aspie and get on with it. I fear if diagnosed, it will be an embarrassment to my parents, and to an extent myself. Also, it seems like I'd just be trading the 'socially inept' label for the 'autistic' label and overall, it would make little difference, and I'd still be something of a misunderstood outcast, possibly even moreso.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

Would you be seeking a diagnosis for yourself or for your peers benefit?

NUFC_Fan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2008, 12:36 pm

peers

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 1:00 pm

You might get help with AS if you seek a diagnoses.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2008, 2:48 pm

I've been struggling with this, too. For me, I think a professional Dx would mainly be to tie up "loose ends" - I already know I have AS (after 50 years living with the tendencies, I've finally decided to take ownership of them.) As someone wrote very eloquently elsewhere on this forum, understanding is more important than diagnosis (or words to that effect.) As long as I know what my tendencies are, I can choose to deal with them in whatever way best suits the immediate situation.

If & when I do get diagnosed (I am going to ask my doctor about it the next time I go for a checkup), I don't plan to tell anyone where I work. I've already told a couple close friends (these are people I *really* trust - not casual acquaintances.) I'm not sure if I'll tell my family (mother & sister.) I mean, they already know me - why do I need to give myself a label?

As for the friends I've told, the value of them knowing is that they might be able to deal with my "quirks" a little better, if they have some idea of what to expect. Since I feel comfortable with them, I'm much more likely to "slip up" & say or do something they could misunderstand. (I really want to keep these friends!)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 3:38 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 3:41 pm

Well, if you can afford it, you could get dxed and not tell anybody, personally I can't afford it to get an official test and don't have insurance, my mind is not at rest not knowing.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020