Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

I have AS and I know my father has AS more severely than me. My mother used to work long hours and was tired. I have a little sister 6.5 years younger than me. I had no other family, few friends and only family came to see us irregularly.

My father has a severly bad temper. He is separated from my mother. He does not communicate. He has does bizarre things. He has obsessions.

I believe my father's AS has impacted on me. Am I correct and to what extent?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

Er, well, if your father has AS, and your father is part of your environment, then I would opine that your father's AS necessarily has impacted on you. There is insufficient data to determine to what extent in or in what capacity.

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2008, 3:37 pm

I think my father is on the spectrum too...maybe his symptoms are not pronounced enough to warrant to clinical diagnosis, but he has some very Aspie traits. I am very much like him, except that those traits have been concentrated...and my symptoms DO warrant a diagnosis.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 3:44 pm

What has probably affected your life more than your father's AS, assuming he has it, is how the condition affected his life. I believe my father was AS, as well, and I saw over the years the frustrations he had in life, and from his stories I know of many of the frustrations he had as a child. It is those frustrations that marked much of how he was as a father, more than the condition itself.

At the risk of sounding exactly like an advice columnist in a newspaper, I would suggest that the only way to really work through your questions is to discuss it in counseling with a therapist. One who knows AS, and that you are comfortable with.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 4:36 pm

its an interesting question: how does my fathers AS impact on me?
there is the typical AS literal answer to begin with, that is genetically, he has it, you have it.
then there is the environment that he has brought you up in, full of frustration anbd maladaptive behaviour...hard not to copy.
but with a realisation of an AS diagnosis there is also an ability to see what he couldnt, without the benefit of a diagnosis and become adaptive.

learn to accept the AS and then chose to fit in better.

good question