Anonymous Hacks Palin's Email account!

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 4:58 pm

This kind of thing seems motivated by nothing but malice and vanity. Hackers, use your skills for good instead of evil and you'll have all the legitimate success, legitimate wealth, and legitimate happiness you could ever want.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:51 pm

Zara wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:
so?.. was there anything bad in the email?.. do you think maybe it was a publicity stunt?..

From what I've heard, nothing important was revealed. Just usual correspondence stuff.

Actually, the titles of many of the emails suggests strongly that she was using a 'personal' account to conduct government business, which is prohibited by Alaskan law. The emails carried titles like "Confidential Ethics Matter" and "Meeting with the Governor" ... that alone reveals something important - that Palin was trying to operate outside the law.

It also demonstrates that if hacker kiddies can can break into such unauthorized accounts, the intelligence services of foreign countries could do the same thing. So jail the hackers for breaking the law, and thank them for teaching us a lesson that didn't cost very much.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

Indeed.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 6:28 pm

monty wrote:
Zara wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:
so?.. was there anything bad in the email?.. do you think maybe it was a publicity stunt?..

From what I've heard, nothing important was revealed. Just usual correspondence stuff.

Actually, the titles of many of the emails suggests strongly that she was using a 'personal' account to conduct government business, which is prohibited by Alaskan law. The emails carried titles like "Confidential Ethics Matter" and "Meeting with the Governor" ... that alone reveals something important - that Palin was trying to operate outside the law.

It also demonstrates that if hacker kiddies can can break into such unauthorized accounts, the intelligence services of foreign countries could do the same thing. So jail the hackers for breaking the law, and thank them for teaching us a lesson that didn't cost very much.

but what about those people that got away with vandalising an energy plant, and they got of because they were raising proper awareness..?? :?

I think if the hacker uncovers information which could incriminate someone else it should become a civil crime

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 7:57 pm

Hacking already is a crime, isn't it? It's like B & E or illegal tresspass, isn't?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 7:57 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:

but what about those people that got away with vandalising an energy plant, and they got of because they were raising proper awareness..?? :?

Well, I didn't think that the Greenpeace activists were justified in what they did - I have no problem with raising awareness, but don't think it allows them to graffiti or otherwise damage property. And I don't think that these hackers were justified either - the investigation of Troopergate by the Alaska government had requested various emails, including those ... that was the proper way to go about it.

ShawnWilliam wrote:
I think if the hacker uncovers information which could incriminate someone else it should become a civil crime

I don't understand the logic behind that, and I am not sure what you mean by 'civil crime' - although I am quite familiar with the distinction between civil law and criminal law. What if a burglar uncovered evidence that the owner of a house he broke into was a mass murderer?? Should we charge the burglar with six counts of murder 1 and give him the electric chair? That makes no sense - people should be held accountable for for their own actions.

Last edited by monty on 18 Sep 2008, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:01 pm

The burglar comitting a B & E and the homeowner turning out to be a murderer ... that's two separate issues. If he wanted the burglar could have snuck back out of the house and made an anonymous telephone tip to the cops about the murderer. But that would only yield results if the cops were already looking for the murderer and had a case going on him.

Meanwhile, the burglar still burgled, and should be arrested for B & E.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

monty wrote:
Zara wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:

Free email accounts are notoriously easy to hack. I remember about five years ago when some Romanian scam artists sent out an email that pretended to be from somebody named "Corina" who said she was coming to the recipient's city "for modeling work" from Romania and had no money and nowhere to stay, could the recipient please send money? Anyway, the scammers used Yahoo mail, and somebody got into the account they were using easily. They had thousands of responses, and some people were really dumb, they prepared bedrooms in their houses for "her" and offered money. Apparently the scammers DID get some cash, I never heard how they did it, probably Paypal or getting people to send bank account info. Once they saw that somebody had busted open their account they decided to scram. This was back before Eastern European organized crime was lurking in every dark corner of the net to steal your credit card, and people were pretty naive. That was certainly a unique scam! But the second most powerful person on the planet has no business frequenting Yahoo mail, not only was she trying to evade detection (illegal) but she was using her zip code as her password apparently, so she's pretty stupid. The Chinese would have had a field day with her.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm

Hmm, maybe now she'll get a Hushmail account for her off the books government business, and hopefully not give out clues to the key while interviewing...

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:23 pm

monty wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:

Well, I didn't think that the Greenpeace activists were justified in what they did - I have no problem with raising awareness, but don't think it allows them to graffiti or otherwise damage property. And I don't think that these hackers were justified either - the investigation of Troopergate by the Alaska government had requested various emails, including those ... that was the proper way to go about it.

ShawnWilliam wrote:

I don't understand the logic behind that, and I am not sure what you mean by 'civil crime' - although I am quite familiar with the distinction between civil law and criminal law. What if a burglar uncovered evidence that the owner of a house he broke into was a mass murderer?? Should we charge the burglar with six counts of murder 1 and give him the electric chair? That makes no sense - people should be held accountable for for their own actions.

If someone commits murder, then they should be put on trial for murder.. you can't discover illegal activity by killing someone.. it would be breaking and entering, and discovering someone else doing the murder.

Seriously, don't confuse yourself..

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 10:46 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Why not grow a pair of cojones and just shoot her at a rally?

8O can you imagine the annoying amount of news time that would get? fox news would swarm over it like flies. it's making my head hurt just thinking about it. :x

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 10:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What's SOHH?

here. the link is biased and full of BS however
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 8gwcOpOg8w

Zara wrote:
Now they're mumbling about attacking Fox News. Wonder how that's going to go over? :roll:

The guys on 4chan began that by spamming and hacking Gerta Van Susteren's blog. now they've done that and dragging the other chans into it. I know 888chan and freechan's /i/ are mobilizing against FOX and planning raids against them. 4chan is planning a DDoS against foxnews.com tomorrow at 4-5 PM (check a /i/ board or IRC for confirmation) and the rest of the internet has not done much; but this is 3 days into this.

Last edited by Warsie on 18 Sep 2008, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Was there a purpose behind hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account or was it just domestic terrorism? People want to bring her down pretty bad, it seems. Why not grow a pair of cojones and just shoot her at a rally?

If McCain/Palin gets elected I suspect someone would pull some Black Hand Society s**t there :P

Hopefully a n***a does it XD

(hypothetical joke, FBI Partyvan; ignore me, enjoy your raep by chans as they're probably mad at you if you shut down 4chan. As much as the older anon hate 4chan due to "the cancer" and the like taking them down WILL piss off the anon horder; as it is their historical motherchan for the non-japanese chans.)

Quote:
Oh and Warsie, I'll be damned if you're not as white as my mother.

n***a what!

slowmutant wrote:
This kind of thing seems motivated by nothing but malice and vanity.

they (well one guy who googled all the info lol)were trying to get the info that Palin keeps hiding from the law. Oddly enough the guy is a son of a Democratic State Senator from Tennesee reportedly. Anonymous holds high power XD

Quote:
Hackers, use your skills for good instead of evil

'good' is a point of view

Quote:
and you'll have all the legitimate success, legitimate wealth, and legitimate happiness you could ever want.

I remember someone saying on Tor anyone who has been out there before a certain time hs most likely become the man or became 'legit'.

Last edited by Warsie on 18 Sep 2008, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 11:03 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:

some guys on /b/ said yes there is some stuff. Only a few stuff got out before some white knight got to it

original post

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/0 ... il-ha.html

Quote:
rubico 09/17/08(Wed)12:57:22 No.85782652

Hello, /b/ as many of you might already know, last night sarah palin’s yahoo was “hacked” and caps were posted on /b/, i am the lurker who did it, and i would like to tell the story.

In the past couple days news had come to light about palin using a yahoo mail account, it was in news stories and such, a thread was started full of newfags trying to do something that would not get this off the ground, for the next 2 hours the acct was locked from password recovery presumably from all this BS spamming.

after the password recovery was reenabled, it took seriously 45 mins on wikipedia and google to find the info, Birthday? 15 seconds on wikipedia, zip code? well she had always been from wasilla, and it only has 2 zip codes (thanks online postal service!)

the second was somewhat harder, the question was “where did you meet your spouse?” did some research, and apparently she had eloped with mister palin after college, if youll look on some of the screenshits that I took and other fellow anon have so graciously put on photobucket you will see the google search for “palin eloped” or some such in one of the tabs.

I found out later though more research that they met at high school, so I did variations of that, high, high school, eventually hit on “Wasilla high” I promptly changed the password to popcorn and took a cold shower…

>> rubico 09/17/08(Wed)12:58:04 No.85782727

this is all verifiable if some anal /b/tard wants to think Im a troll, and there isn’t any hard proof to the contrary, but anyone who had followed the thread from the beginning to the 404 will know I probably am not, the picture I posted this topic with is the same one as the original thread.

I read though the emails… ALL OF THEM… before I posted, and what I concluded was anticlimactic, there was nothing there, nothing incriminating, nothing that would derail her campaign as I had hoped, all I saw was personal stuff, some clerical stuff from when she was governor…. And pictures of her family

I then started a topic on /b/, peeps asked for pics or gtfo and I obliged, then it started to get big

Earlier it was just some prank to me, I really wanted to get something incriminating which I was sure there would be, just like all of you anon out there that you think there was some missed opportunity of glory, well there WAS NOTHING, I read everything, every little blackberry confirmation… all the pictures, and there was nothing, and it finally set in, THIS internet was serious business, yes I was behind a proxy, only one, if this s**t ever got to the FBI I was f****d, I panicked, i still wanted the stuff out there but I didn’t know how to rapidshit all that stuff, so I posted the pass on /b/, and then promptly deleted everything, and unplugged my internet and just sat there in a comatose state

Then the white knight f****r came along, and did it in for everyone, I trusted /b/ with that email password, I had gotten done what I could do well, then passed the torch , all to be let down by the douchebaggery, good job /b/, this is why we cant have nice things.

some guy claims ALL stuff was gotten and it was important.

Quote:
my fellow /b/rothers, in 2 days the rest of the Palin emails will be leaked by members of the Legion. 3 minutes before a newfag and possible moralfag changed the password, screenshots of all the emails got taken by a fellow /b/rother in california who has since sent them off to a safe location in a foreign country. The emails are being examined at this moment. The truth will be known that Sarah Palin was using her yahoo account to circumvent the FOIA that could possibly be used against her in a Federal investigation. The most I can say from what I have been told in IRC is this, YOU WILL BE SHOCKED BY THE CONTENTS. The emails will be released slowly so the media can slowly digest each one. Anonymous always delivers.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not Forgive.
We do not Forget.

http://www.jumpingeoffs.com/admits.html

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:56 am

Well, one good thing will come out of this... we'll find out once and for all whether those proxy condoms work the way they say they do...

You can be sure that the entire might of the federal government will be brought to bear on the guy who did this...

if he skates, we know the proxy condoms work...

if they come and scoop him up, the concept of web anonymity will be exposed as a modern myth...

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 3:03 am

slowmutant wrote:

You don't understand. It was wrong to get into Palin's e-mail regardless of good or bad security. The act of hacking as self-justifying? No.

I agree 100%... if it was a chanfag getting hacked by a government official, they'd all be screaming bloody murder.

Private email is private.