Cancels 9/18 VA Rally
Cancels Sunday Miami Rally due to weather - 30% chance of rain
Cancelled WY visit to go to UN
Tampa Visit Cancelled for second time

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 8:41 am

I read she canceled a planned appearances in The Villages, Florida because of threat of rain - I would too. It is a retirement community where half the residents drive around in golf carts, and if it looks like rain, people will stay home and watch TV. She probably had booked the town square, which looks like a cross between the Universal Studios theme park and an Olive Garden restaurant.

Oops - second picture no longer visible - will convert it to hyperlink.

http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/im ... etown2.jpg

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 9:01 am

Palin was greeted by protesters on a return trip to Alaska, so maybe when she cancels anywhere it is at a warning that the Republicans do not completely control her environs. (Over 1500 people, mostly women, turned out in the rain even, to hold up signs saying stuff like "Bridge to Deception" etc. Go to Anchorage News site for more info) And the recent 'town hall' meeting that Palin did show up at was NOT open to the public. But only open to pre-ticketed and prescreened people. Proved faithful republican brainwashed sort. She has not completely faced an open public down here in the 48, and up in Alaska it looks like they are beginning to realize they don't want her back. It's too bad that powerful Republicans connected to the McCain Campaign are snuffing out the Troopergate Scandal investigation. Now we may never know the truth about how Sarah Palin reigns amok as goveror, and spent liberally as mayor of Wasilla too. (And left the city in debt, despite the fact she was trying to save money by firing he librarian and the museum director. :? ) Check out articles in New York Times, Huffington Post, New Republic, LA Times et al.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:10 am

Yeah, I heard McCain recently went to a manufacturing plant in Michigan, and most of the workers were wearing Obama buttons ... they even started chanting for Obama. So no more uncontrolled audiences for McCain unless absolutely necessary.

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 1:38 pm

Yah, and when McCain showed up in Philadelphia to speak to some kind of women in business group, Obama people were there. As soon as he started speaking, they started shouting slogans etc. Republicans don't seem to like dissent or anyone questionning their whole deal, and yet, to me, to question is everything, to demand answers from those in power, or those who want power, to shine a harsh light on everything they do, because we have a right to do it. It's inherent in everything America is, or should be.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:46 pm

Maybe this is why Palin was canceled!?

The pastor whose prayer Sarah Palin says helped her to become governor of Alaska founded his ministry with a witch hunt against a Kenyan woman whom he accused of causing car accidents through demonic spells.

At a speech at the Wasilla Assembly of God on June 8 this year, Palin described how Thomas Muthee had laid his hands on her when he visited the church as a guest preacher in late 2005, prior to her successful gubernatorial bid.

In video footage of the speech, she is seen saying: "As I was mayor and Pastor Muthee was here and he was praying over me, and you know how he speaks and he's so bold. And he was praying "Lord make a way, Lord make a way."

"And I'm thinking, this guy's really bold, he doesn't even know what I'm going to do, he doesn't know what my plans are. And he's praying not "Oh Lord, if it be your will may she become governor," no, he just prayed for it. He said, "Lord make a way and let her do this next step. And that's exactly what happened."

She then adds: "So, again, very, very powerful, coming from this church," before the presiding pastor comments on the "prophetic power" of the event.

An African evangelist, Muthee has given guest sermons at the Wasilla Assembly of God on at least 10 occasions in his role as the founder of the Word of Faith Church, also known as the Prayer Cave.

Muthee founded the Prayer Cave in 1989 in Kiambu, Kenya, after "God spoke" to him and his late wife, Margaret, and called him to the country, according to the church's Web site.

The pastor speaks of his offensive against a demonic presence in the town in a trailer for the evangelical video "Transformations," made by Sentinel Group, a Christian research and information agency.

"We prayed, we fasted, the Lord showed us a spirit of witchcraft resting over the place," Muthee says.

After the spirit was broken, the crime rate dropped to almost zero and there was "explosive church growth" while almost every bar in the town closed down, the video says.

The full "Transformations" video featuring Muthee's story has recently been removed from YouTube, but the rest of the story is detailed in a 1999 article in the Christian Science Monitor, as well as on numerous evangelical Web sites.

According to the Christian Science Monitor, six months of fervent prayer and research identified the source of the witchcraft as a local woman called Mama Jane, who ran a "divination" center called the Emmanuel Clinic.

Her alleged involvement in fortune-telling and the fact that she lived near the site of a number of fatal car accidents led Muthee to publicly declare her a witch responsible for the town's ills and order her to offer her up her soul for salvation or leave Kiambu.

Says the Monitor, "Muthee held a crusade that 'brought about 200 people to Christ.'" They set up around-the-clock prayer intercession in the basement of a grocery store and eventually, says the pastor, "the demonic influence -- the 'principality' over Kiambu -- was broken," and Mama Jane fled the town.

According to accounts of the witch hunt that circulated on evangelical Web sites such as Prayer Links Ministries, after Muthee declared Mama Jane a witch, the townspeople became suspicious and began to turn on her, demanding that she be stoned. Public outrage eventually led the police to raid her home, where they fired gunshots, killing a pet python they believed to be a demon.

After Mama Jane was questioned by police -- and released -- she decided it was time to leave town, the account says.

Muthee has frequently referred to this witch hunt in his sermons as an example of the power of "spiritual warfare." In October 2005, he delivered 10 sermons at the Wasilla Assembly of God, the audio of which was available on the church's Web site until it was removed around the time Palin's candidacy was announced. The blog Irregular Times has listings and screen grabs of the sermons.

It was during these sermons that Palin, who was then preparing for her gubernatorial run, was anointed by Muthee. His intercession, she says, was "awesome."

Her June 8 speech was to mark the graduation of students from the Wasilla Assembly of God's Masters' Commission, which, as Pastor Ed Kalins explains, believes Alaska will be the refuge for American evangelicals upon the coming "End of Days." After her speech, Palin was presented with an honorary Masters' Commission diploma.

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 10:38 am

"Spiritual warfare" that's what they call it, to quote from the above post. Members of Palin's church and thousands of others worldwide are members of the Third Wave, a large group of people who believe in the power of group prayer to bring about whatever they want. While they may say they are battling witchcraft and other supernatural kind of ills, their overarching belief system is one where they believe that at the "end of days" they and their fellow-believers will be raised up to be apostles of God. They have large meetings for 'group prayer' where they conduct 'spiritual warfare' and where they say they are trying to bring about this ultimate disaster, the absolute end, so that they may rule the world as they see fit, and they do believe they are the scourge of God, which is scary.

All belief systems are guaranteed protection under our Constitution but people who believe in bringing about the end of the world and believe they should be the ones to do it are actually some kind of spiritual terrorists. These are the sermons Palin is listening to, the events she is going to are events where people are telling her that she was guaranteed the governorship because of the prayer of Murthee over her. It is not odd to pray, it's odd to see such a totalitarian view of prayer. And to see it used as a weapon and a punishment over people. SCary stuff. Like I always say, Scary Palin, just in time for Halloween.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

20 Sep 2008, 1:00 pm

Classic. As this thread unravels might I offer that she had to make a trip to the doctor for possible infection of self-inflicted stigmata or bite-marks on her shoulder?

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2008, 3:57 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Classic. As this thread unravels might I offer that she had to make a trip to the doctor for possible infection of self-inflicted stigmata or bite-marks on her shoulder?

Doubt it, tech step. No, I'm not making anything up, as you are to be humorous. I can appreciate humor, but what I'm wrote about in the former post is actually a real belief system with real people that believe in it, even the subject of a documentary that has been well-received recently. Still though I am off topic, but, apologies, sometimes that happens with me. But, to go back on topic of Palin, well, it would make more sense to say she isn't going to show up anywhere where there is not a solid Republican crowd expected. (So they've begun giving out tickets to events for Palin, assuring themselves of a devout audience.) They don't take chances with hecklers or any free-thinking sorts. Republicans only seem interested in those that follow their rules very closely. I am not one of those. Obviously.

Actually I want to think brainwashing and 'spiritual warfare' and this belief in the ability to bring about disaster through prayer is just b-s. I want to think it is hogwash, but the Third Wave thinks it's true and that's the scary part here. Palin herself says she thinks it was the power of prayer that caused a lot of people to vote for her for governor. Oddly enough, they voted for her because they believed in her, not because some 'power' made them do it. (And lots of Alaskans are now regretting that vote, but, hey, oh well.)

Actually I was more on topic in my other post in this thread and should have just let it lie, but I sometimes write just to write about whatever I'm thinking about, unfortunately leaving the topic behind accidentally.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 4:09 pm

as for Sarah Palin (and having been a resident of Minnesota from 1998 to 2001) I just have two words:

Jesse Ventura

Merle

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 4:10 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
as for Sarah Palin (and having been a resident of Minnesota from 1998 to 2001) I just have two words:

Jesse Ventura

Merle

I'm not sure I understand you. You would rather have Ventura as the Republican Veep?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 4:17 pm

Orwell wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Jesse Ventura

Merle

I'm not sure I understand you. You would rather have Ventura as the Republican Veep?

What I am saying is anyone can be voted in as a Governor. Jesse Ventura was a sensation, he had been aformer TV wrestler cum talk show host in Minneapolis was a long shot, but rallied thousands of disaffected and disconnected politically folks that registered and voted and won. When he had his inaugural party had Warren Zevon sing "Werewolves of Minneapolis" and it was a hoot! Later, his crest of popularity started to ebb and even before anyone was running against him he bowed out of running for the next term. It was fun, but it wasn't governance.

Merle

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

21 Sep 2008, 5:25 pm

jul wrote:
But, to go back on topic of Palin, well, it would make more sense to say she isn't going to show up anywhere where there is not a solid Republican crowd expected. (So they've begun giving out tickets to events for Palin, assuring themselves of a devout audience.)

I don't even think she could espouse such views even in an all-conservative crowd, it would alienate about 70 to 80% of the party base at the least (people try to broadbrush the right but seriously, if they heard her talking like Reverend Jones you'd probably have it blow up in the media, an apology from the RNC, a new VP selection, and at that point a stuffed bear could beat McCain by a 20 point spread).

jul wrote:
Actually I want to think brainwashing and 'spiritual warfare' and this belief in the ability to bring about disaster through prayer is just b-s.

It sounds like white robes, French Guyana, and Rev. Jones Hard Koolaid. Not my way to party and as much as conservatives really don't get out there in the media and talk about what their views really are, as much as they leave it open to 1,001 misperceptions, the media doesn't make it much easier either. I have a feeling - if you listened to Townhall radio; Prager, Gallagher, Medvid, Ingraham, Bennet, Hughett, while I doubt it would make you a conservative I think you'd realize its not religious compound type dialog; though I'll admit, most of the articulate voices that I'm aware of the conservative movement are city conservatives who yes, have had their views chizeled, who have been challenged by dems and have also looked at the realities of their own positions - they are well thought out, even Limbaugh and Hannity. Being that this is what conservatives are fed on the radio, I think its safe to say that like Obama is trying to throw Trinity Church of Christ under the bus its fair to say that the right - as a party, not as a campaign, are bringing out rational voices and trying to get everyone up to date who isn't.

jul wrote:
I want to think it is hogwash, but the Third Wave thinks it's true and that's the scary part here. Palin herself says she thinks it was the power of prayer that caused a lot of people to vote for her for governor. Oddly enough, they voted for her because they believed in her, not because some 'power' made them do it. (And lots of Alaskans are now regretting that vote, but, hey, oh well.)

If its true, about Palin's beliefs - comprehensively with the message your stating here - I think Obama and McCain would at last have one compromise "Hey, we both picked duds on our VP selection, would you be ok with us both redoing it?". Mainstream conservatives DON'T like that stuff and because of that, the reason I'm inclined to think the whole Palin extremist thing is a tall tale; someone would have brought that to McCain's attention immediately, it would be about as bad as him finding out that she's a schizophrenic in remission who'd at random start talking to trees and stones.

jul wrote:
Actually I was more on topic in my other post in this thread and should have just let it lie, but I sometimes write just to write about whatever I'm thinking about, unfortunately leaving the topic behind accidentally.

We can research this one but I also worry about the quality of the information, since she wasn't already a big public figure it means that it'll be tough to separate what's authentic and what's just cooked up for politics.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:36 pm

I have been reading on this article in Newsweek all day and it is quite interesting

http://www.newsweek.com/id/160080/page/1

an exerpt:

You can learn something about a person by the company she keeps. In the churches where Palin has worshiped for decades, parishioners enjoy "baptism in the Holy Spirit," "miraculous healings" and "the gift of tongues." Invariably, they offer astonishingly irrational accounts of this behavior and of its significance for the entire cosmos. Palin's spiritual colleagues describe themselves as part of "the final generation," engaged in "spiritual warfare" to purge the earth of "demonic strongholds." Palin has spent her entire adult life immersed in this apocalyptic hysteria. Ask yourself: Is it a good idea to place the most powerful military on earth at her disposal? Do we actually want our leaders thinking about the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy when it comes time to say to the Iranians, or to the North Koreans, or to the Pakistanis, or to the Russians or to the Chinese: "All options remain on the table"?

and another:

Many writers have noted the many shades of conservative hypocrisy on view here: when Jamie Lynn Spears gets pregnant, it is considered a symptom of liberal decadence and the breakdown of family values; in the case of one of Palin's daughters, however, teen pregnancy gets reinterpreted as a sign of immaculate, small-town fecundity. And just imagine if, instead of the Palins, the Obama family had a pregnant, underage daughter on display at their convention, flanked by her black boyfriend who "intends" to marry her. Who among conservatives would have resisted the temptation to speak of "the dysfunction in the black community"?

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

21 Sep 2008, 6:19 pm

I'll have to look at that and see where its corroborated.

sinsboldly wrote:
Many writers have noted the many shades of conservative hypocrisy on view here: when Jamie Lynn Spears gets pregnant, it is considered a symptom of liberal decadence and the breakdown of family values; in the case of one of Palin's daughters, however, teen pregnancy gets reinterpreted as a sign of immaculate, small-town fecundity.

I think with Jamie Lynn Spears its like Paris, its not her unwed pregnancy that's sign of liberal decadence, its that she's famous for.....what exactly?

sinsboldly wrote:
And just imagine if, instead of the Palins, the Obama family had a pregnant, underage daughter on display at their convention, flanked by her black boyfriend who "intends" to marry her. Who among conservatives would have resisted the temptation to speak of "the dysfunction in the black community"?

How much did you hear about Chris Gore smoking weed? I can't say much for sure, just that in these areas - conservatives have indeed taken the high road on average, Bill Cunningham's sort of a odd character but as far as much of anyone else; I'm fairly certain it would be - per ratio, less than the pile-up Palin's getting.

Back to the company she keeps though, you may have seen my post with about 20 links regarding Bill Ayers, ACORN, Saul Alinsky, Weather Underground, I don't think we have much less radical over there either. That and these things in specific are barely getting touched by the media, and like with Clinton, the small stuff is getting played over and over about Obama to make it look as if there's nothing else on him (with Clinton, the Lewinsky thing was perfect - everyone was dialed in on that, the missile technology to China and other things of that nature were almost nonexistant in popular dialog).

Now Palin on the other hand - she's looking like she fell asleep at a wild frathouse party with her shoes on, you can barely see her under all the black marker, flour, and cardboard super-glued to her. Barack is a similar vote threat to the right but I don't think he's been antiqued like that, attacks on his positions have been made, references to him as the second coming of Jimmy Carter, references to him being a deer in the headlights without a teleprompter, the rest is mostly if not all issues.