Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:42 am

Ya I know, poking fun at males is like the last big group that you dont have to be aprt of tomake fun of, so I guess all the jokes are directed at them, but even in non comedy, I am getting sick and tire of media saying...you are a mle this is how you are.

You like to eat(come one you have to eat if you are a hetertrogh)

You wont get help(ie diy disasters, never ask for directsin) Hardly, I know what I can and cant do, and no way am I going to have to pay extray, or destroy things or get hurt with stuff I don't know.

You are cluless.(only in specif things out of my fields, not in day to day life, and I dont pretend that I am in those areas im not)

Meat, its what for dinners(I lobe a whole host of fruits and vegables)

You like sports(Only if Wow is considered one)

Dog is your pet(Cats are great!)

Bodily humer is what your in to(no thanks, I perfere more inteliiticle, or 3 stooges slap stick)

Really There are only three ways to male, and all three are sterotypes, as far as media is concerned, The above, Homsexual or geek, And I'm tired of hour they boil them down to this, and not see peiople are complex tapestries or should show a wider varity.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:57 pm

It's valuable that someone raises this point. There's a movement (see this link) that seeks to restore the dignity of maleness. It doesn't get much publicity, though.

Some valuable excerpts of it:

Quote:
Masculists cite one-sided legislation, selective enforcement, and neglected civil rights as examples of discrimination against men and boys.

Quote:
Masculist concerns focus on societal acceptance of violence harming men paired with the stigma against violence harming women, as well as males being taught or expected to take on violent roles.

Quote:
Depiction of violence against men as humorous, in the media and elsewhere (see Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them!), when women are equally violent.

Quote:
Lack of positive reinforcement and role-models for young boys in the media, while presentation of positive female figures is a large aspect of much of the media.

Quote:
Legislation that addresses women's needs without considering the corresponding need in men (e.g., Women, Infants, and Children Act; Violence Against Women Act)

Quote:
Lack of educational aid for boys and men, given that their performance/enrollment at most levels lags behind that of girls and women; some states declaring (de jure or de facto) all-male schools illegal and all-female schools legal.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:19 pm

Eggman wrote:
Ya I know, poking fun at males is like the last big group that you dont have to be aprt of tomake fun of, so I guess all the jokes are directed at them, but even in non comedy, I am getting sick and tire of media saying...you are a mle this is how you are.

You like to eat(come one you have to eat if you are a hetertrogh)

You wont get help(ie diy disasters, never ask for directsin) Hardly, I know what I can and cant do, and no way am I going to have to pay extray, or destroy things or get hurt with stuff I don't know.

You are cluless.(only in specif things out of my fields, not in day to day life, and I dont pretend that I am in those areas im not)

Meat, its what for dinners(I lobe a whole host of fruits and vegables)

You like sports(Only if Wow is considered one)

Dog is your pet(Cats are great!)

Bodily humer is what your in to(no thanks, I perfere more inteliiticle, or 3 stooges slap stick)

Really There are only three ways to male, and all three are sterotypes, as far as media is concerned, The above, Homsexual or geek, And I'm tired of hour they boil them down to this, and not see peiople are complex tapestries or should show a wider varity.

Interestingly, the vast majority of purchasing decisions are determined by the women, or so I've heard. This would seem to account for my completely unproven impression that in advertisements men tend to be portrayed in a less than flattering way in the majority of advertisements as compared to any female in the same advertisement. It would be interesting to research this topic...