Opposite side of the relegion in school debate.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 11:00 pm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=44223

Quote:
BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Bible study banned on playgrounds
Legal group challenges restriction on student activity during recess

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 12, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

An elementary school principal who barred students from studying the Bible during recess after a complaint from parents is violating the Constitution, according to a public-interest law firm challenging her actions.

In a letter to the Knox County School District in Tennesee, the Alliance Defense Fund declared the principal of Karns Elementary School is on "shaky constitutional ground."

"The Constitution does not prohibit Bibles during recess; it prohibits the wholesale banning of Bibles during recess," said Charles Pope, the ADF-allied attorney who wrote the letter to the district.

"A school official cannot tell a student that he can't bring his Bible to school or study it with friends during non-classroom time," Pope stated.

According to ADF, 10-year-old student Luke Whitson used his regularly scheduled recess time to read the Bible with a few friends on his school's playground. After receiving a complaint from a parent, the principal reportedly ordered the students to stop their activity, put their Bibles away and cease from bringing them to school.

"There are no 'age discrimination' allowances in the First Amendment of the Constitution," said ADF Senior Counsel Joseph Infranco. "The law protects these students the same as it protects all students."

Infranco said children "have rights of speech and association during their non-instructional time, and the school may not curtail those rights because of their age."

Whitson's parents sought legal assistance from Pope, who contends "the law as it pertains to this situation is well settled."

"Students may have religious discussions and Bible study during non-instructional time," he explained in his letter. "The school district should immediately issue a statement addressing the unconstitutional actions and policy and alerting all personnel to permit Luke and other similarly situated students to exercise their constitutional rights."

This is just one of many articles Ive seen about this, its kinda sad really that theres this big of a relegion being battled out in school problem.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2005, 11:08 pm

The principal in this case is woefully undereducated about what's allowed in schools. The fact that bibles are allowed during non-class time has been established for decades.

His actions are even counterproductive, really, because isolated incidents like this give ammunition to those who claim (without merit, most of the time) that Christians are being persecuted by the "secular establishment."

Jeremy

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 11:10 pm

Umm sometimes they are, I never had anything taken away but 1 of my teachers made fun of me for reading one of the Left Behind books at school.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2005, 11:20 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Umm sometimes they are, I never had anything taken away but 1 of my teachers made fun of me for reading one of the Left Behind books at school.

[Bad joke removed] ;)

Seriously, though, I'm sorry that happened. And of course it happens sometimes. But what I mean is, the system is set up to allow religious freedom in school, as long as it doesn't interfere with class or put undue pressure on students. When things like that happen, it's because a school official doesn't know the law, or chooses to ignore it. It's a series of local problems, not a systemic one.

Jeremy