Poll ended at 19 Oct 2008, 9:15 am
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

mummahayley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2008, 9:15 am

I noticed my sons left eye slightly turning at 1 year of age. His now 18 Months and i took him to get checked out. his was diagnose with Optic nerve hypoplasia. The Doctor said his Vison was great and he will live a normal life. He wont need glasses or a patch as this has nothing to do with vision or muscle.
Then i came home and did some research on the net and everything says, vision loss and developmental problems but my doctor did not tell me any of these, actally the complete opposite. he just told me, he may need surgery to make it strait and it can be sensitve to light and just to stay clear of anything that can hurt his eye like certain sports, boxing etc...
I think he has totally mis diagnosed him and does not know what he is talking about.
My son has been using his thumb and index finger to pick things up since 7 months.. he can see a fly in the air and looks at birds in the sky and is clearly not visually impaired.. can anyone offer any adice because i have really upset and not sure what to think. Should i get a 2nd opinion?
I hope i hear back from someone,

mummahayley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2008, 9:24 am

Psimulus wrote:
Seems like a simple genetic variation to me. I know people who can not wink as well as people who can control each eye independently. I also have met people who can not bend the tips of their fingers. I am not a medical professional though. This is just an observation based on what you have written. Any other symptoms or anomalies?

Im not sure what that has to do with optic nerve hypoplasmia as im very new to all of this... My son focus very well on anything and everything, his left eye is turned slightly, and he sometimes rubs at that eye... i have not noticed anything else. His developed ontime to all his milestones.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 9:30 am

I attempted to delete my post because I misread a portion of it. However, I used to know someone who had this condition. He had surgery around the age of 16 to align his eye. He wore glasses and they were quite thick. This is not to say that all cases are the same though. He recovered from surgery quickly and their were no other complications that I am aware of.

mummahayley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2008, 9:36 am

Psimulus wrote:
I attempted to delete my post because I misread a portion of it. However, I used to know someone who had this condition. He had surgery around the age of 16 to align his eye. He wore glasses and they were quite thick. This is not to say that all cases are the same though. He recovered from surgery quickly and their were no other complications that I am aware of.

i guess being my first baby, i feel so sad that this is happening. Its only natural that i want him to be a good looking boy and then man. I know how kids can be teased at school and i know even when i talk to people whos eyes are turned, i find it hard to concentrate and know where to look. I know i sound awful but i guess i just didnt expect that this would happen. What the doc has told me is completely different to what i was told on the net. He siad that he will never need glasses because it is the nerve that runs to the brain telling the eye to move.. He said it is not visual or muscle related... so im confused

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 9:44 am

The person I have referenced wore glasses yes. This does not necessarily imply that your child will also have to wear corrective lenses. The person I spoke of, I could not even notice a scar. Perhaps you could check to see how early in the developmental cycle the surgery could be performed.

mummahayley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2008, 9:47 am

Psimulus wrote:
The person I have referenced wore glasses yes. This does not necessarily imply that your child will also have to wear corrective lenses. The person I spoke of, I could not even notice a scar. Perhaps you could check to see how early in the developmental cycle the surgery could be performed.

He said as early as i like but best to wait untill around 4 0r 5... Im not sure as yet

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:13 am

if in ur heart you feel he may be mis-diagnosed, it won't hurt to go get him checked out again, usually a mother is the one who knows best. good luck, sorry i cant offer any advice then that, i'm not good in that matter when it comes to vision problems.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:22 am

I have a 4 year old that has an eye that turns in. What you are describing is totally different. My son is extremely farsighted. His eye only turns in when he's trying to focus on something, because his muscle is pulling it in to focus. He does need glasses for this, and his eye may correct itself if he keeps his glasses on, thus reducing the muscle strain. He does have developmental problems, too. Farsightedness is correlated with developmental problems. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your son's eye turning was due to farsightedness (muscle strain) then I would think it would be easy for the doctor to know that. They can see it by how the light reflects off of the inner eye through that mirror stick thing (sorry I don't know the correct term for it).

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:50 am

5 minutes of research I found that this is an extremely variable condition from perfectly sighted to legally blind.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:05 pm

if you doubt your doc... get a 2nd opinion.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

sirtlan
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2008, 3:56 pm

It doesn't know if this is the same thing as your kid, but it was cross-eyed (only in one eye, it thinks) as a kid too. It needed glasses to correct itit would've needed them for vision no matter what anyway. But either way, yeah, get a second opinion.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:16 pm

I can't say whether he's been misdiagnosed; I don't know enough about the topic to say. But I do know about mommy instincts, and yours are telling you to get a second opinion. Listen to them; the worst that can happen is another doctor telling you not to worry.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:24 pm

I've only known one person with optic nerve hypoplasia. He was 3 years old and went to a special needs preschool, receiving OT, PT, and speech services. He also wore glasses. He was in my preschool class one summer, and he was definitely very delayed. This is just one kid though.

I definitely agree with what Callista said. Listen to your instincts, and get a second opinion. If it does turn out to be nothing, you will feel much better about all of it, and if he does need treatment, he will receive it early.