Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 6:25 pm

I think that each aspie woman should represent herself. We are all different from one another, like NT women are.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2008, 6:29 pm

anbuend wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Aspies can do whatever they want in their life. They have rights too just like everyone else, not discriminate.

I work in a hotel, does that mean I am giving everyone a false thought that all aspies can have jobs but they can only work in a hotel picking up laundry in the halls?

Yeah, that.

I also recall hearing people complain when I was seen in the media, that I somehow "made it seem like" all autistic people were fat and ugly.

Now if someone's thin and conventionally pretty she gets criticized the opposite way. It's a catch-22, seems to mean "no autistic person should get any media attention at all" in the end.

Seems you understand from a first person point of view the criticism involved.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2008, 6:34 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
Perhaps if Heather did something like, do a spot on G4. Review a few video games, something that us less attractive gamers could respect, there's something.

Wait, what?! Have you seen the women on G4? Okay G4 has:

Morgan Webb
Olivia Munn
Kristen Holt

All freaking gorgeous women! (not to mention their other women, who are all gorgeous as well) So how is doing a spot on G4 something less attractive gamer girls could respect? ???

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2008, 6:35 pm

patternist wrote:
Apatura wrote:
It is kind of depressing that on the one hand the aspie guys have Einstein and Bobby Fischer, while on the other hand the aspie ladies have.... Heather. Maybe if she had gotten the attention for her art it wouldn't be so depressing, but yoshi is right, being born beautiful is not an accomplishment.

Ohhhh, gawd I agree with this. Thank you for stating it so eloquently.

I find that statement annoying. Some of us truely lack the ability to be eloquent.

Why can't blunt opinions be appreciated as well?

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2008, 8:57 pm

Apatura wrote:
It is kind of depressing that on the one hand the aspie guys have Einstein and Bobby Fischer, while on the other hand the aspie ladies have.... Heather. Maybe if she had gotten the attention for her art it wouldn't be so depressing, but yoshi is right, being born beautiful is not an accomplishment.

I'd rather be associated with Brad Pitt than Einstein :wink:

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2008, 9:37 pm

coyote wrote:
Apatura wrote:

I'm confused. Would you really? I know you added a wink but does wink always specify someone is joking online?

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:06 am

Meowpurr wrote:
coyote wrote:
Apatura wrote:

I'm confused. Would you really? I know you added a wink but does wink always specify someone is joking online?

I usually put it into context. The wink seems to indicate sarcasm or a joke.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:18 am

sartresue wrote:
Eggman wrote:
Noone represents me but me.

Hey, das freakin' Techno Viking, I salute you.:salut:

Maybe we need a Techno ViQueen. :lol: :queen:

das Freak'n Techno Viking welcomes both your salute as well as your idea, Techno Viking needs female companionship!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 7:16 pm

Apatura wrote:

Was that the point of the original post? I really couldn't tell.

Einstein was never diagnosed with any autism spectrum disorder, and based on the criteria (unless you use Gillberg's), he wouldn't have AS anyway. And Bobby Fischer made so many comments about how Jewish people were evil and cheered about 9/11 that I don't know why anyone would want him as a role model.

I don't feel one way or another about Heather. I'd rather a model who seems to be a decent person be touted about as on the spectrum than a junkie or murderer or something like that. There is more modeling to being beautiful too.

Three years!

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:18 pm

Apatura wrote:

It's funny, when I said almost the same thing, I was called insecure and a hater of beautiful women. I guess it's a matter of seniority when it comes to who gets listened to around here, without being mocked first?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:43 pm

I agree with Mage. Both are excellent role models in different fields. I find the women actually have better representatives than the men with AS.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2008, 2:39 am

I don't think Heather Kuzmich does any harm to making AS relatable for the general populace. I doubt many people are going to think her appearance has anything to do with her AS or have anything to do with her other abilities to achieve.

If anything, it'll give some people a shock when they look at her and realise "she don't look retarted!"

If she was not attractive, say she had a bulbous nose or weak chin, people would think that that is a sign of Asperger's. I for one don't mind a very few people thinking that maybe she is "hot" because people with AS are more likely to be "hot".

I'm Australian, and some people around the world judge Australians solely on Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman, etc.

Probably a disappointment when they get here and there are people like me walking around! :lol:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 8:18 am

violet_yoshi wrote:

It's funny, when I said almost the same thing, I was called insecure and a hater of beautiful women. I guess it's a matter of seniority when it comes to who gets listened to around here, without being mocked first?

Nah, I don´t think that´s what it is...don´t take it personally. I think that the first people who answered this Post just happened to be people who disagreed with you, that´s all. Whereas many of the later group of people are just confirming what you said. It´s just the order in which people saw your Post first.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 9:11 am

I don't like anyone representing me.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I don't like anyone representing me.

Least of all a pretty girl? ;)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:24 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Least of all a pretty girl? ;)

Especially no sissy girly-girl who dresses up for a living, that's for sure.

If we're talking appearances, I'd prefer a bearded, half-naked, mountain dwelling manly-man who is a family member's death away from being a hermit.