Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 11:31 am

Aspies don't all look like Ugly Betty. (Even the actress who plays her doesn't look at all like ugly Betty!) There is some idea that there's a disjunct between being an aspie and looking good.

Having said which, I don't like the way women are portrayed in the media. But let's face it... there's nothing wrong with someone in the public eye admitting to having asperger's. She doesn't represent me, she represents herself.

More power to her.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:05 pm

I do not want or need heather to represent me. I am me.

However, I do feel that the idea of 'role models" and mentoring is really wonderful for those of us who have not had the levels of support and family assistance or self-esteem development that comes with informed parenting, a great education experience and a network of people who are there to validate and ward off the pain that can come with living with an ASD.

We are so diverse. Some who have had no effective role models in the form of good parents, friends, family, insightful teachers etc. may indeed benefit from a distant role model whose life or actions or approach communicates the message " I am me. I can achieve. I wll achieve and I will live to my fullest as I am a person with an ASD who is also an individual and a human being with the right to full self-expression."

If that helps someone...I believe it is a valid and good thing.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 11:42 am

The products she promotes through her physical appearance are probably things that will appear in women's magazines like photos of her wearing mascara that has been rubbed into little bunnies eyes during the safety testing phase of the product.

I don't see her as a representative of diversity. I wish it were different. I don't watch the show because it is too superficial and the people act in ways that I think are silly and banal. I watched it once for awhile but I quickly grew bored with it.

Does anyone really like that show? What kind of person would find it entertaining?

Computer Problems? Contact White Knight Remote repair: www.whiteknightremotesupport.com

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:18 am

anandamide wrote:
The products she promotes through her physical appearance are probably things that will appear in women's magazines like photos of her wearing mascara that has been rubbed into little bunnies eyes during the safety testing phase of the product.

She's an Asperger's/Autism spokesperson. She's not a PETA activist.

Quote:
I don't see her as a representative of diversity.

Of course she's not! She's only one person. It takes a bunch of people to represent "diversity".

Quote:
Does anyone really like that show? What kind of person would find it entertaining?

The show's going into it's 13th cycle or something, so somebody's watching it. The show's indeed superficial, but we can't be all trascendental and intellectual all the time. A little superficiality and a little banality are necessary sometimes. Besides, while Heather's not a genius or anything like that, personally I didn't find her comments or behavior superficial or banal. Just average and normal (in an Aspie way).