Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:42 am

Hi WP last night me my mom,and sister were at a local gym and we were considering signing up. I'm oddly nervous over this and while there will be trainers and I'll have someone help me with my knee injury issue (I haven't been able to run since the incident April 13th 07) I know what kind of machines to use since I went to physical therapy but I'm not an exercise type of person I never really have been. Any advice? (I have a Ipod) but not sure if I should take it. :-( Also I'm only around 130LB female so it's not like I need to lose weight it's more muscle tone and to give me something to do. :-( Any advice would be appreciated. :-)

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2008, 10:21 am

The endorphins alone will make it worth your while - it's like a nice warm hug your brain gives your body for working out. By all means, bring your iPod (personally, I love to exercise in time to music - so I have a special playlist with songs that are the right tempo.)

You might also want to check to see if your health insurance will reimburse you for starting an exercise program (mine will kick in $20 a month, as long as I'm signed up at a participating health club & work out there 8 days a month.)

Good luck! :D

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:56 am

As zeich said, it'll be worth it zeldagirl :)

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 11:48 am

Just don't sign a contract! You don't know what you will feel like in 6 months, and there is no point in paying for something you don't use.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2008, 1:01 pm

patternist wrote:
Just don't sign a contract! You don't know what you will feel like in 6 months, and there is no point in paying for something you don't use.

That's absolutely right - you should shop around, too. Some places (like the one in my neighborhood) only have monthly memberships, so you don't have to commit. Some also have a money-back guarantee in the first month. And I'm thinking most places have some sort of trial deal, where you can decide whether the atmosphere is right for you.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 1:07 pm

It's a contract you can get out of (my parents looked into it and stuff around town) Plus it's a family atmosphere not some muscle heads LOL! Plus for me it's $30 a month. :-) ok I guess. :-) I can deal with it plus trainers to help with my knee injury concerns. :-)

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 11:15 am

Quote:
Hi WP last night me my mom,and sister were at a local gym and we were considering signing up. I'm oddly nervous over this and while there will be trainers and I'll have someone help me with my knee injury issue (I haven't been able to run since the incident April 13th 07) I know what kind of machines to use since I went to physical therapy but I'm not an exercise type of person I never really have been. Any advice? (I have a Ipod) but not sure if I should take it. Sad Also I'm only around 130LB female so it's not like I need to lose weight it's more muscle tone and to give me something to do. Sad Any advice would be appreciated. Smile" zeldapsychology

Just make sure you don't jump on anybodies backs or cause trouble for anyone. Keep your hands to yourself and your mouth shut and everything should be fine.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

wHaT?!

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:20 pm

Ask the trainers about the machines they probably know more about that than we do :P
and do bring music makes it alot easier to concentrate on yourself. 8)