You don't have autism. I'm calling you out!

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 1:44 am

Apart from the behavioural manifestations of ASDs [and some motor clumsiness/lax joints], it doesn't affect how someone looks. The most profoundly Autistic person can be the most attractive person ever, just as he or she can be the most unattractive [or any other iteration of attractiveness]; it doesn't mediate "looks".

Sure, there's some anecdotes out there, i.e., the symmetrical features. But everyone has the possibility of having this. Of note, this is usually pointed out because many people with AS don't care what others look like (including themselves), so you'll have "lopsided" social relationships in many cases. It's superficial, but in society, good looking people are supposed to hang around other good looking people.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:32 pm

Not very long ago I told one I know about my diagnosis, and he said that he didn't believe that, "you are not autistic" he said, and then that I was a very nice person and goodlooking too (hmm why could people on the autistic spectrum not be nice and goodlooking?), and he had met autists before, and they were not like me.
I tried to explain that it is a spectrum, and not everyone has it to the same degree etc.
He also thought that I couldn't be autistic / aspie because I was too aware about it, my symptoms / advantages / difficulties and so. I said, a lot of people are aware, also people with classical autism.

OK, you can't know everything; I didn't either before I got the thought that I might have AS, then I also thought that autism was all Rainman-like people, and not a spectrum where I myself belonged. :roll: :P

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:41 pm

People are funny, sometimes in rather self-deprecating ways. Someone else I know and talk to has gotten comments like these as well, who I can verify IRL shows more than her share of signs.

So being good looking means what...that you couldn't possibly have an alternate wiring, couldn't possibly have social jams or have a personality that's well outside the norm? What does this mean as well for guys who are good looking? They don't have it either?

The only way I could imagine someone taking that train of though seriously is if they really measure autism/AS on the scale of predisposing superficial factors to social success - which is of course profoundly deep thought.

OP yeah, its bizarre and, finding the right word here, really callow (which sadly it seems like the more ignorant and self-destructive among us tend not to have much of a problem with).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:53 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:
Remember my recent thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt72746.html When a therapist said I was too pretty to have AS. :roll:

They can be ignorant for sure. I had a therapist who ran an evaluation, saw my past stats, and said I'd simply grown out of it. I saw him two weeks later meeting with a third party, he was as well in this regard, and because I said hi to him and asked him how things had been for the last few weeks - that was definitive proof that I don't have it; we're apparently not allowed to pick up or 'learn' social graces :roll:.

Not that it speaks for having a nervous system that has me struggling under the weight of social situations, gets taxed very quickly if I'm not drinking, and still having it effect my life still in some rather profound ways on account of all that. Getting the answers right and knowing what to say at the right times doesn't just make it all vanish and go away.

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2008, 10:43 pm

LOL, This post was funny. People think that all autistic look like Bill Gates with green-yellowish teeth and thicker glasses frames. Beauty doesn't define autism.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:41 am

Taly wrote:
LOL, This post was funny. People think that all autistic look like Bill Gates with green-yellowish teeth and thicker glasses frames. Beauty doesn't define autism.

Lots of people aren't specifically oriented to geeky things either.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:59 am

I'm frankly surprised at how many people on this forum are very whimsical (for better or worse)

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2008, 8:27 pm

tinky wrote:
i hate fake smiling and rarely show my teeth when i fake smile. if i'm smiling then i want it to be because i'm happy not because i'm forced to. it feels so fake and oh so wrong. i like taking pictures of people with real emotions. i sneak up on them and before they know what's happening...*snap*

I don't fake smile, I smile naturally ususally intrisic smiles "my own jokes", but my smile looks fake to people and "eccentric" :oops: . And on pictures yes I fake smile 8O , when I started smiling on pictures I was 16-17years old, I hated pictures before that I started keeping more eye contact during this age. I am always the "extreme" sometimes I put make up on to go to college whe I have "free time" and sometimes I go to college in pijamas, that's funny. "Hey are you in pijamas and slippers?" 8O