Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 11:43 pm

Odin wrote:
Everyone has basic biological needs for things like food, shelter, and physical safety, conscious goals are not necessary for these needs to exist, they are instinctive.

You mean needs for living. The desire for them is instinctive, but to hold life as the highest goal? Well, not so instinctive that we can take it as true a priori. People give up these "needs" for other goals. The other goals are subjective, so if subjective truths can over power objective truths then what makes the objective ones so objective? Not only that, but what makes the biological desires of others a call for action by others than that single individual? Really, you haven't solved the problem at all, you just are pretending you have and pressing forward with it. Biological desires are and "is", whether or not these should be sated is an "ought". Frankly, I might find the idea of starving children hilarious and thus reject the idea that I "ought" to do something against my subjective desire to think of actual starving children.