Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2005, 4:02 pm

I am very interested in what philosophy means to people on here, since in many of the more 'philosophical' topics people have been concerned with making sense of the broadest modes and fields of human understanding. I'm talking the philosophy of science, living, art, etc etc

What is philosophy to you?

Myself I disagree that philosophy is purely an art form. Its not painting a picture as an expression of confusion, or some leap of perception you have that you have a passion to express in some means.
Philospohy is equally about ruthlessly logic, lateral reasoning, analysing events in all kinds of contexts, finding patterns. Only then do I think we can afford to be creative and explicate the new subtleties, the new perspectives we find on things....'there is no synthesis without analysis'.. dunno who said that but it makes perfect sense! One of the most influential philos ever Kant would only publish works which made perfect logical sense...

What is philosophy to you, and if it really is a hobby, what school of thought do you suscribe to?
I'm an existentialist through and through.... 8)

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 5:08 pm

I think science is a philosophy but many come against me for this view. For this is all I will say on this.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 6:13 pm

kevv729 wrote:
I think science is a philosophy but many come against me for this view. For this is all I will say on this.

I think you are right, kevv!! ! Its just that scientists are too arrogant to admit this.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 6:22 pm

RobertN wrote:
kevv729 wrote:

I think you are right, kevv!! ! Its just that scientists are too arrogant to admit this.
I think You very right RobertN. They are to arrogant to admit it and they would not admit it because they themselves don't what anybody to really know it is a philosophy.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 11:45 pm

Ambrose Beirce has given us the very best definition of philosophy that I've ever seen:

Quote:
phi·los·o·phy Pronunciation Key (f-ls-f)
n. pl. phi·los·o·phies

A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

I further elaborated upon this point with an example I provided at urbandictionary.com:

Quote:
It was late one night when I was on a road trip with my two friends, Brian and Laura, when we decided to pull over to the side of the road and retire.

"Looks like you'll be sleeping in the car while Laura and I have the tent," Brian said.

"Here's the blanket," he continued, "You'll be fine with this, won't you?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Are you sure?"

"How is one sure of anything?"

"Or that there is any thing to be sure of," he added.

We both nodded, contemplating the profundity.

Other wonderful definitions of philosophy to be found at urbandictionary include:

Quote:
A bizarre form of mental aerobic exercise in which one strives towards the essentially divine goal of completely forcing oneself up ones own sphincter using only the power of the mind.

Recently a philosophy grad student from Stamford actually managed to bury all of his head, one arm (to the elbow) and a bit of his other shoulder up his own anus. This unusual incident occured when he was teaching Existentialism to young folk and was designed to demonstrate that a)existence is only perception and b)he had a big anus. Unfortunately he choked before he had managed to extricate himself and thus kinda proved himself wrong on both counts.

Quote:
The art of self-confusion.

Reductionism, nihilism, and existentialism are nuclear-options in philosophical discussions that exist barely beneath the surface in any contemplation of deeper issues, and they can be released upon a subject at any time and render it meaningless. Therefore, discussion of philosophy itself carries with it an inherent ridiculousness and pointlessness, as well as constant potential for pseudointellectual overanalysis (such as this).

Philosophy? Meh. That's the only course you'll finish knowing LESS than when you started.

Quote:
The theoretical ramblings of dead people. Can and has been used to justify anything and everything from communism to nazism. Many of the so-called 'enlightenment' philosophers quoted today were the same ones Hitler read. Can reason from a preposition, but cannot tell weather the preposition is true or not, so its useless. The love of human "reason", which always leads to trouble.

Tim quoted the philosopher to appear smart at the diner party.

Quote:
Analagous to stroking one's penis, but done through the activity of thinking. Philosophy comes from the two root words phil, meaning "love", and sophy, meaning "to stroke ones penis incessantly and abstractly while maintaining a pretentious air about you". Combined, we can deduce that this means "to love one's own penis incessantly arrogantly and abstractly." Philosophy is broken down into many disciplines. Some to be considered are: epistemology, metaphysics and ontology.

Epistemology simply asks the question, "how do i know i am a f*****g pretentious moron?" Over the centuries, many a party-goer has asked this question to philosophers only to be answered with high noses and comments about how wonderful the wine and cheese is, when you actually know it was 2 buck chuck and a cracker-barrel.

Next comes metaphysics. Metaphysics is what idiots at parties talk about when they are trying to prove they are better than you. Often times this involves theories of Truth, (with a capital T) and theories about why some philosophy dude will never go to home with that hot girl because he shows up to a party with a Nietzsche book in his pocket like its something she should be impressed by.

Ontology is the theory being. It simply asks the question, "Am i a pretentious moron?" Most philosophers cannot answer this question because they are so full of themselves, they cannot see past their own dissertations that try to explain a chair or a desk or any other inanimate object in the room.

While philosophy majors can most generally be categorized as annoying and useless, we can deduce from this simple syllogism the following:

1. All philosophy majors are pretentious as*holes.
2. Pretentious as*holes will do you favors if you stroke their egos
3. if you stroke a pretentious as*hole's ego, you can get him to do anything
4. you can get a philosophy major to do anything if you stroke his ego a little bit.
So they arent completely useless. For example, you can get a philosophy kid to get you a beer when you need one at a party if you tell him you are interested in his theory (which by the way is never his particular theory) but just him reciting some BS he read. Nonetheless, if you just appease his need to assert intellectual dominance in a social atmosphere, you have a masturbating helper monkey as your new friend.

"Yo, philosophy geek! Get me a beer dude!"

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2005, 4:01 pm

Who are your favourite philosophers then?

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2005, 7:44 pm

kevv729 wrote:
RobertN wrote:
kevv729 wrote:

I think You very right RobertN. They are to arrogant to admit it and they would not admit it because they themselves don't what anybody to really know it is a philosophy.

Science is empiricism.
If you can't observe it, it doesn't exist. Ergo observation = existence.
The near opposite of philosophy, which questions the existence of what can be observed.

Edit: "And he said onto the lord: 'How the hell did [I] do that?'" - Rowan Atkinson

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by Quintucket on 19 Nov 2005, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2005, 8:35 pm

Quintucket

impericism is not a word should have spelled empiricism instead just so You know.

Science to me is broader its the community of science that is arrogant to Me that is what I am saying nothing else than that. And this community makes up science as a philosophy in the end.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2005, 8:54 pm

kevv729 wrote:
Quintucket

impericism is not a word should have spelled empiricism instead just so You know.

I know that.
I've noticed that I've been spelling a lot more things phonetically recently.
I'm not sure why but it's definitely a problem, since it then looks like I don't know how to spell.

kevv729 wrote:
Science to me is broader its the community of science that is arrogant to Me that is what I am saying nothing else than that. And this community makes up science as a philosophy in the end.

I don't get what you're saying.

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 12:42 am

Quintuncket

The community in science(the people) is sometimes very arrogant in what they believe and what all of us to believe for they think they know the answers to all things. They hold to a philosophy that they are right and everybody else is wrong so that is how science in the end is a philosophy in the end.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2005, 12:53 am

kevv729 wrote:
Quintuncket

The community in science(the people) is sometimes very arrogant in what they believe and what all of us to believe for they think they know the answers to all things. They hold to a philosophy that they are right and everybody else is wrong so that is how science in the end is a philosophy in the end.

I'm still confused.
Science has never claimed to know all the answers.
Every science article I read always seems to end up with more questions for future investigation than answers. Each answer they find is just one step towards understanding a larger picture, which we can approach but never understand completely.

I'm guessing from your other posts and sig that you take issue with scientific theory on theological grounds?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 1:34 am

Quintucket

The PEOPLE in science can be arrogant and think in what they believe and want US (OTHER PEOPLE) to believe as they believe it seems like. These PEOPLE in science hold to a philosophy that they are right and everybody else is wrong so that is how science in the end is a philosophy in the end.

See large caps letters the PEOPLE.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 1:40 am

Quintucket wrote:
I'm guessing from your other posts and sig that you take issue with scientific theory on theological grounds?
I may believe in God but I see science just a new religion that some may not see it as that yet. I have had many many PEOPLE say SCIENCE is their RELIGION. So that is why I take if need be issue with some that say science is not a religion then. So that is just how I see it then.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 11:16 am

Yeah, I'm with Thagomizer on this one *falls on floor cracking up*

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2005, 12:25 pm

kevv729 wrote:
Quintucket wrote:
I may believe in God but I see science just a new religion that some may not see it as that yet. I have had many many PEOPLE say SCIENCE is their RELIGION. So that is why I take if need be issue with some that say science is not a religion then. So that is just how I see it then.

Science isn't a religion, I don't care what a few morons may say.
Religion requires a leap of faith for unverifiable.
Science requires that everything be verified through multiple trials.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 12:57 pm

Quintucket

It is people that do the science for science itself can not do science. It was people that even created science for science can not create itself. Most science that the scientist do is cone correctly and unbiased but even scientists can be biased. Even in science You sometimes need a leap of faith so science can move forward do You not. It only takes a few morons to ruin it for the rest of us.