Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 4:41 am

The Cambridge University Autism Research Centre is holding a 2 day conference starting Monday - what radical new research paths would you suggest to them?
Very best wishes
JC
(p.s. This is mine - unlearningasperger.blogspot.com)

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:58 am

I'll say what I always say; genetic stabilization! If those cambridge lads ask nicely enough, I might even let them have a glimpse of my notes ;)

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 2:30 pm

I went to one of the sessions; the research community is (rightly I think) now exploring the genotype/phenotype boundary; i.e. that genetic influences make us more likely to go the Asperger route, but environmental conditions make a big part too; someone with high genetic disposition might not go the Aspie route if growing up in a non-Aspie conducive enviroment.
What do you mean by genetic stabilisation?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 2:32 pm

JCJC777 wrote:
What do you mean by genetic stabilisation?

Quiet, Commander Ishmael! The Earthlings must never find out!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 2:36 pm

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 11:12 pm

I could say the same about "non-aspie conducive environment"...
Trust me; 100% genetic, no environment. Apparent manifestation can be tempered by environment, but not altered. In other words, a so-called "mild" aspie, raised in certain conditions, might present as NT, but is not. The reason for classical autism, tourettes, etc. is variance in genetic expressions. By stabilizing those expressions, instead of "killing autism", which seems to be become a common theme, the detrimental aspects can be removed, leaving only the beneficial. There are some indications this is beginning to happen naturally - but I don't have the patience to wait 5,000 years.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:27 am

I'd agree - there's a brain development difference that sets in long before phenotype gets a chance.

Supportive environments and enlightened teaching could make vast difference in adaptation to the condition, though. Aspie intelligence gives many of us the tools we need to hide the truth - from ourselves, from others, doesn't really matter.