Anyone epic fail in a conversation before?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:23 pm

So I tried to actually break out of my anti-social rut and called this woman i know. Anyway, the conversation kind of went really awkward fast... I was gonna ask her out but she did a rapid end of the conversation before I could get that off. I think I creeped her out... rather permanently...

Last edited by ToadOfSteel on 05 Oct 2008, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:31 pm

Yes I've had many epic failures in conversation.

I remember one guy commented on my frozeness with the song title "Stuck in a Moment". :cry:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cww89NK1Yao

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2008, 5:08 pm

Obviously! But grinding it down to crushes, obviously! If anyone knows the character Mark Corrigan, I needn't elaborate much more.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 6:04 pm

Constantly. I have the tendancy to just... stop talking. If I have nothing to say, why speak randomly? And then there is the going too indepth in one answer. And lastly (well, not lastly, but the 3rd major thing I do) which is something I was just made aware of, I don't turn a question back on someone. (ie. getting asked "what are you thinking?" giving a quick answer or something and asking them the exact same question)

All of these things result in many epic fails in conversations... and they are somehow so much worse when it is a possible romantic option you are speaking to.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:09 pm

It's not so much the fact that I dropped the ball that is the epic fail (I do that all the time), but the fact that I really creeped her out in the process...

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:51 pm

If you mean that moment when they realise you're 'not all there' or 'all the lights are on but nobody's home' which consequently creeps them out, it's hard to avoid, people are always going to perceive us like that. If I never experience that moment again, I'll be very happy, but I don't think it works that way.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:54 pm

I remember one time I called the housed of a girl I knew... I'd been at the dentist, and school was still in, so I figured I'd leave a message. Instead, some lady picks up and starts yacking at me with a heavy accent, which makes little sense for reasons i won't go into. She evidently couldn't understand my attempts to explain myself, so i just gave up. That's one number I'm not calling ever again...

But they do not have me

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:54 pm

Yea and it sucks but you just gotta keep trying.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 7:36 pm

Yeah, I can fail without even talking sometimes. Whenever I try to move toward a relationship or a date, I fail at everything. Then I lose my self esteem for a while but try to learn from my mistakes.

I've certainly had epic failures in multiple situations, though strangely I can't think of any. I think I blocked out most of them, and if I could remember them I'm not sure I would share them.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2008, 8:20 pm

I pwn at creeping out females unintentionally my friend.. you are not alone there. It's always either the akward silence, moving too fast without realizing it, or caring "too much", or being "too in love" whatever the hell that means. Believe it or not I'm way too much of a softy when it comes to my emotions towards someone I'm attracted to. Not to mention all of the other social struggles some of us aspies have like word retrieval and so forth.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 8:44 pm

I learned a while ago to just 'contribute' to conversations, rather than initiate. I also keep an eagle eye on people to watch when they're eyes glaze over (if they don't just overrun me when they think I talked enough).

But in the past, I probably hav.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 8:50 pm

Constantly. For me, making conversation used to be like crossing a freeway on roller skates: big risk, little reward.

What happened? Who knows. Grew up, I guess.

I hold firm to the belief that if you can't talk to someone successfully, it wasn't meant to be, some part of your brain suspects they might harm you in some way. At least thinking that way I don't torture myself about it.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 9:43 pm

pakled wrote:
I learned a while ago to just 'contribute' to conversations, rather than initiate. I also keep an eagle eye on people to watch when they're eyes glaze over (if they don't just overrun me when they think I talked enough).

But in the past, I probably hav.

How to you get women to initiate conversations with you? They never do that to me, and judging by the cultural norms, I don't think they ever will...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:09 am

update... I'm really feeling like s**t after that conversation... I really did want to start something with her, but now I think I've permanently killed my chances with her...

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2008, 9:18 am

Have you really? The next time you see her try saying something like: "I'm sorry about what happened on the phone earlier, the fact is that I just like you a lot, but I got really nervous so I might have sounded a little weird." Then laugh a little about it and if she doesn't say anything just say "see you later" or something and keep it simple. If she says "oh its ok" or something, try asking her out on a date, like a movie or cup of coffee. Good luck anyway.. I know its easier said on here than done.. I bet I couldn't get that line straight if I was in your position lol

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:21 am

sounds like progress