Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2004, 1:56 pm

Does anyone else on this forum enjoy playing role-playing games as much as I do? For some reason, I've always loved training characters in these games in an attempt to make them as powerful as possible. I can spend endless hours doing this without ever being bored. Anyway, since I know people with Asperger's Syndrome often have one or more narrow activities that they particularly like, I was wondering if anyone happened to share mine.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2004, 3:11 pm

I'm into roleplaying games but of another format, I play online MOOs/Mushes/Mux (more info on terms at: http://academ.hvcc.edu/~kantopet/misc/i ... t=services) based on books I've read and some others that are original themes as well as they are interactive in that you and other players put poses together to kinda create a running story only I find it easier as it's not all reliant on me to see the people or be near them. I used to play D&D in late elementary school and during jr. high but then went onto PBEM (Play By Email Roleplay Games).

kyoified
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2004, 9:11 pm

Yes! I love roleplaying games! The whole idea of being your own imaginative character in a totally different world than your own facinates me. I love making my characters as strong as possible, and I can spend hours and hours on end doing so. I also love simulation games like The Sims, Dance Dance Revolution, and I love games like Azure Dreams, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon.

venom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2004, 12:07 am

pokemon was a cool game. i really dislike level grinding games like diablo and most mmorpgs, though.

my favourite role playing game is deus ex (also my favourite single player game ever), though some consider it more of a rpg/first person shooter hybrid. you play as an nanotech modified agent for a UN peacekeeping force in the near future. Even though the plot was completely linear, there were so many little things you could do to affect the game world, eg if you went into the womens toilets a woman there would call you a pervert, than later your boss told you off, if you used non lethal means of taking down terrorists certain characters would like you, and if you killed lots of terrorists certain other characters would like. the story is engaging and has lots of surprises, and the while the graphics are not very good by todays standards, the game has a very cool cyberpunk atmosphere.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2004, 11:28 am

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

I can still remember the first time that I played the first Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) game. For some inexplicable reason, I was instantly enamored with and addicted to running around Alefgard with my character, beating up slimes and drakees, gaining experience, and upgrading equipment. I remember being thrilled at the time and utterly surprised that a game like this could possibly exist (I couldn't imagine that many people would have the same character-building fetish that I did).

Well over a decade later, I still can't get enough of these things, and I often still play the older ones on the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo. My all-time favorites, however, are all on the Playstation. If I had to pick three that I thought were the deepest and most entrancing games, I'd say that Dragon Warrior VII (Dragon Quest VII), Grandia, and Star Ocean: The Second Story make the list.

I have to admit that I haven't played some of the ones released more recently, though, so it's possible that one or more of these games may be even deeper than the ones I have mentioned. Unfortunately, it seems that many of the games created these days are focused more on things like graphics and movie-like cutscenes than they are on gameplay. I guess this is what has sold the best since SquareSoft "revolutionized" the genre with Final Fantasy VII. Incidentally, I think Final Fantasy VII is an excellent game, but I also believe that it opened the genre up to a different customer base who enjoy modern role-playing games for entirely different reasons than those of us who have been playing since the days of the original Dragon Quest.

I also played an online text-based roleplaying game called DragonRealms for years. Trying to make my character as powerful as possible was my obsession throughout my college years, and studying often took a back seat to my training priorities. Having other people training characters in the game simultaneously and providing constant competition didn't help to lessen this obsession.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play my beloved RPGs since I've started working professionally. I occasionally try to squeeze some time to play in on the weekends, but it's difficult to make progress with my characters at a rate that would satisfy me. On weekdays, I'm generally so exhausted after work that I don't feel like doing anything but eating a quick dinner and going to sleep. Yay for working life, eh?

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2004, 5:18 pm

I love RPGs! Right now I'm playing Xenogears. However, I get annoyed with side lines like romances between characters.

Arashi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2004, 8:28 pm

I love the IDEA of RPG's but I lack the patience to finish them. To date the only "traditional" RPG I've completed is Phantasy Star 1 on the old Sega Master System.

I've played many though and really enjoy them for the first ten hours or so, then I end up moving on to another game.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up Fable for the Xbox. One of the criticisms leveled at it is that it's "too short" which suits me just fine. :)

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2004, 1:59 pm

I like non-linear computer RPGs like Fallout and Morrowind...

I'm also partial to Steve Jackson's GURPS system... never really organized anything with it though...

Gale
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2005, 2:56 pm

My mom and I love playing roleplaying games together. Back when I was in the sixth or so grade I played FF8 and I've been addicted since then! She loves training especially and I get into it too! The current game addiction for us would be Digital Devil Saga.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2005, 5:13 pm

My first RPG was Super Mario Brothers RPG. My dad and brother made fun of me and said it was the stupidest game ever. I plaied it like there was no tommorrow. It was a type of game I had never seen before. Then when I was at a relives house and the only two games they had were Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII, I went with the one with the picture of a guy with a ridiculously huge sword on it and I found art. That's what put RPGs on the top of my list.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 4:37 am

Morrowind! Hell yeah!
But only with the many mods out there... wow. LGNPC all the way baby!

And I really did enjoy Deus Ex 2 (haven't played the 1st one) up until I got to the end... I achieved all the different endings, but there wasn't a good one!
No matter what you do the world always gets screwed up in some way or another. :(
I wanted an option where you defeat all the crazy megalomaniacs and the world basically stays normal.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 10:03 am

My favorite RPG's are Super Mario RPG and Tales of Symphonia. They were my favorites and it was like there was no tomorrow playing them.

Yinepuhotep

22 May 2005, 1:06 am

I'm confused...the only RPG I've recognized in this thread is GURPS. What are all these other things people are talking about, and what relationship do they have to rolepllaying games?

For that matter, where are the AD&D, ShadowRun, Champions, etc. (heck, even World of Pointlessness) players? And how about people who play on RP MU*? For the last 15 years, most of my RP has been by way of MU*. I played on GarouMush for the longest time, but have also played on SailorWars, Fantasy Moon, and even did a few months on Pern and Soucon. That's one WoP mush, a BESM mux, and three homebrew systems on mushes.

I would LOVE to find people to play GURPS with. I have a banker's box full of GURPS supplements (and still missing a lot of the ones I want), but nobody to game with.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2005, 9:44 am

People here were talking about RP computer and video games.

I have played D&D etc in the past and enjoy good pen and paper roleplaying, however I don't know of any groups in my area.

Yinepuhotep

23 May 2005, 2:21 pm

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
People here were talking about RP computer and video games.

I have played D&D etc in the past and enjoy good pen and paper roleplaying, however I don't know of any groups in my area.

I never did understand that whole concept of "RP computer and video games." I have a copy of Alice, and a copy of Baldur's Gate, both of which I have seen listed as "RP games" - and there's not the slightest bit of RP involved in them. At best, I'd consider them puzzle games.

Honestly, the lack of RP groups in my area is why I'm seriously considering doing an online GURPS game. I know of a MUSH that has rooms set up for people to use as places to gather for tabletop roleplaying, and if I can gather a group of people who are interested, I'll start running something once a week or so.

triforce1215
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2005, 3:13 pm

JayShaw wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems that many of the games created these days are focused more on things like graphics and movie-like cutscenes than they are on gameplay.

Try Runescape. It has a whole bunch of stuff you can do. You can mine, smith, trade, craft, cook, or just beat up stuff. The graphics aren't the best, and there is ABSOLUTLY NO LONG CUTSCENES!! ! Which is what i consider, a goood thing. If you want to try it, go to my forum thread of the same name.

Master Chief: You got any Prophets?
Pichu: Go fish. I mean..PICHU!!