Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:20 pm

Serissa wrote:
ajs_line_of_silver wrote:
There is nothing wrong with 3 ed if you are a brain dead monkey. Is this not a RP thread or do you mean something different?

Any one play white wolf?

I meant actually RPing in a thread.

I dunno if that'd work, although I've heard of people doing it in chatrooms. but if like Joe Lurker has joined in the game with us and its his turn to attack, but then he doesn't visit wrongplanet for a month... that kinda kills the game

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2005, 10:41 pm

I was quite into them when I was a teenager and for six months played in a close-knit AD&D 2e group. We moved away and I wasn't able to find another group, which killed it for me. I like 3e, more flexible and easy to grasp, and the artwork in the books is incredible, particularly the Forgotten Realms stuff - just like comics art.

I think the computer limits the fun of RP games and AbSC is right, thread games are difficult if the players don't check the forum regularly. I'd like to play in a free-form game though, I think I've been playing one IRL for the last two years (all day every day) - I've been trying to help a blue dragon slay a big powerful red dragon but he keeps respawning and my party members are the biggest load of defeatists I've ever met...and the blue dragon's not as young as he used to be.

Of the computer RPGs Baldur's Gate is the best. I played it almost non-stop for a year and never even came close to beating it. BGII is good but as I like playing a half-elf Blade, I am disappointed with the stronghold quest. I haven't got as far in it as it is just too big and as I said the above real RPG got in the way slightly.

People don't want a date with destiny, they just want a date with a dentist. --- Michael Howard

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2005, 10:58 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
Serissa wrote:
ajs_line_of_silver wrote:
There is nothing wrong with 3 ed if you are a brain dead monkey. Is this not a RP thread or do you mean something different?

Any one play white wolf?

I meant actually RPing in a thread.

I dunno if that'd work, although I've heard of people doing it in chatrooms. but if like Joe Lurker has joined in the game with us and its his turn to attack, but then he doesn't visit wrongplanet for a month... that kinda kills the game
I don't run RPGs in chatrooms, and I've actually become quite used to RPG based games run in forum threads. What we'd do is set up a thread for discussion of the game where everyone would post their stats etc., and another one in which the game would actually progress. I liked the convenience of being able to take my time and consider player actions before posting,and the permenancy of the thread game for reference. It worked quite well. I ran an AD&D game with three players for six months and everyone was rahter caught up in it toward the end. Of course, school and other less important distractions interefered and prevented us from going much further in the years that followed, but still.

I made it perfectly clear at the start of each game thread that I only wanted players to post, but occasionally a spammer would disrupt with an incongruous message. When that happened, I just reported it to a mod and it was deleted. They were pretty understanding about it too.

I could run a game with AD&D (preferred, as I'm most familiar with it), GURPS, or Palladium rules. I don't have enough WoD material to work with, and I do not GM 3e. I was also thinking of creating a system that would be sort of like a cross between GURPS and the Fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, but have never worked it out.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 4:59 am

If you've done it before, I am all for it.

but I am warning you that I'll occasionally have days like this one where I'm gone from 10 in the morning to 4 the next morning 8O

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 10:32 am

I second abonomablesnocone.

airbikecop
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2005, 7:42 pm

I'm not an RPG fan, but if I see one cheap I'll buy it. And maybe play it for a bit.

Who can pass up a mint copy of Legend of Oasis for the Sega Saturn for $3? It usually goes for $20+

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2005, 9:41 pm

I've done RPs in threads before. It usually works best on a forum, especially if everyone else is not the same time zone. It is also fun to RP in a group sitting around a table. :)

I've participated in too many of them to count over the past three years (when I first started) and have even led a couple of them, both fantasy and real-life based ones. Do you think we could try and organize a RP with people from WP? That would be cool...

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 7:45 pm

I'm currently trying to contact a friend whom I think would make a good addition to the game. He may not want to play on the boards (we were originally planning a pen & paper game for him) but if he does I guess we'd start a new forum or something for RPG threads.

I'm also going to have to write up a fairly extensive summary of rules involving details of the intended setting, rules, races, alignment, classes, weapons, and the like for use in stickeyed reference threads.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2006, 7:54 pm

Coolness. Just to let you know, I was extremely bored a few mornings ago, so I set up a forum that we can use. Let me know if you want the URL. :)

Is it going to be similar to dungeons-and-dragons as far as classes and races go? I'm familiar with the basic classes (ranger, paladin, mage, druid, cleric, etc.) and with the typical races (elf, dwarf, gnome, human, halfling, half-elf, orc).

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 3:33 pm

It appears said game is being prepared... follow Namiko's webbie!

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2006, 12:26 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
I could run a game with AD&D ...

I'd love to play a game of AD&D - I used to GM games on a Friday evening when I was a teacher (it was a boarding school). We played AD&D, Werewolf, Deadlands (anyone know Deadlands?), Paranoia, and WarHammer. (Just looking for a good excuse to dig out all the old manuals and stuff...)

Slipperman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2006, 1:34 pm

I love RPG's! I'm particularly partial to Morrowind and NeverWinter Nights, myself...especially since you could create your own stuff for the games :D

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 9:43 pm

I mostly play them because they bring me to a world that does'nt exist. Where I can expound upon my imagination. I used to play pretend games in fourth grade and led a whole bunch of people to play them with me. Though there were alot of idiots making fun of us, I didn't care, I was having fun escaping and/or embarking to new worlds that I created.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 5:47 pm

I haven't played any pen and paper RPG's simply because I don't know anyone else who wants to. I do have the D&D third edition rulebooks, though.

I adore some CRPG's, provided they're not heavy on turn based combat, which I HATE. My favorites have been Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (the patched version...I love that universe), Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, and some semi-RPG's like the Quest for Glory series and Silver. Not too much into the Diablo kind, or the Final Fantasy kind, though I do like the cutscenes of the Final Fantasy games.

I've also done a LOT of forum-based roleplaying, but there was no math involved. Just turn-taking, character-based creative writing. I say what my character does, then someone else does--usually taking many paragraphs for each one. Heh.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2006, 10:04 am

I am a Morrowind ADDICT!! ! I am eagerly awaiting my copy of Oblivion (hopefully by end of business today)! !! ! I literally could NOT sleep last night!! !! I actually bought a 360 just to play Oblivion. That way I could have an unlimited amount of time with the game...as opposed to sharing the computer. I have done all but one quest/errand/job on the GOTY edition Morrowind for the XBOX---no mods, no cheats, and no spoilers...I actually found out that I did not complete all of the quests in a Morrowind forum last year. I have not been successful on my own and I do not want to cheat---so I may never complete that last quest. :sigh:

Any other Morrowind fans getting Oblivion?

Hunter4242
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2006, 3:38 pm

Catffienated wrote:
I love RPGs! Right now I'm playing Xenogears. However, I get annoyed with side lines like romances between characters.

What are you talking about? The romance in Xenogears is the win. I freaking love that game.