paranoid...sick of cameras watching me...related to autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:36 am

I wonder if this is part of autism or something that many with autism go through or if it's just me...

Watching TV and seeing how surveillance videos from months ago is being shown on TV on a case...WTH!! ! I feel like everywhere I go I am being watched...I can't stand it anymore...I feel like flipping off every camera I see...When did we lose our liberty all in the name of "safety?"

OK, is it me or do others with autism go through this whereas non-autistics don't care?

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 1:09 am

Security cameras are certainly a concern of non-autistic people as well.

Personally I do not mind security cameras in public spaces; when one is in public one has to assume that anyone could be watching and one might be photographed or recorded. As long as nobody is watching me when I have a reasonable expectation of privacy (say, in my home), I am fine.

However, there are many people who do argue against cameras in public areas, and I doubt they are all autistic.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2008, 5:02 pm

paranoia is more a schizophrenic trait. I don't mind public cameras, they've helped catch a lot of criminals.

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:16 pm

I have some seemingly 'autistic' traits, but I'm more ADHD, and I've always had fun with security cameras. Even worked in a place where I loved to watch people on them. Sometimes it's just hilarious. But then, I'm typically the opposite of paranoid -- I'm sitting naked in front of open blinds with the neighbouring house just feet away. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:16 pm

Heh.

Some of the systems I design are specifically for camera-based surveillance. Most are simply red-light cameras or OCR plate-recognition systems used on toll roads and military bases. Otherwise, I have four cameras mounted on my house - front door, back door, garage door, and a Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera on my antenna tower for checking out the neighborhood - all perfectly legal.

I've also designed a CCTV detector that picks up on the characteristic E/M signature of electronic cameras, whether NTSC, PAL, or USB.

Happy Fishbowl! :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2008, 6:01 pm

whatamess wrote:
I wonder if this is part of autism or something that many with autism go through or if it's just me...

Watching TV and seeing how surveillance videos from months ago is being shown on TV on a case...WTH!! ! I feel like everywhere I go I am being watched...I can't stand it anymore...I feel like flipping off every camera I see...When did we lose our liberty all in the name of "safety?"

OK, is it me or do others with autism go through this whereas non-autistics don't care?

I don't think this is a case of autism, schizophrenia or any other neurological difference or psychological condition. People can feel paranoid regardless of psychological conditions or normality if they are watching tv and witnessing cameras watching others.

For your case you mentioned feeling a loss of liberty in the name of safety. That is something alot of people are feeling and paranoia is something that anyone can feel.

If there are delusions present or something not real that did trigger your paranoia for example you feel like there are aliens hiding in the water so you go out to the ocean or a pond to find them, then schizophrenia is suspect unless you are a child that just got through watching a sci-fi movie and took it a little too seriously.

There are autistics who are also camera shy. There are autistics who don't mind taking pictures but only if they are the ones snapping their own pictures because they don't like being caught off guard and it prompts akward poses and embarassment.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2008, 8:15 pm

I don't like the cameras around my condo, I seek ways to keep myself out of the cams. I'm not paranoid... I don't even believe that someone watch then... I just want to keep my life private.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 7:17 am

whatamess wrote:

try thinking positive way at least u never need to go in bigbrother :P j/k no seriously they dont bother me

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:13 am

mysterious_misfit wrote:
I don't mind public cameras, they've helped catch a lot of criminals.

not necessarily.. http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-61925#3

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:14 am

Im not paranoid because of cameras but of other things. creepy movies and stuff like that.