Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Cartoonist4X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2005, 4:25 pm

As I've mentioned in my profile and intro, I'm an animator in training. I have a friend who wants to be an animator as well, who's undiagnosed, but I can strongly assume he has AS as well. Another undiagnosed friend has shown interest in the career, and shows a few signs of AS. All three of us are talented artists. So are we natural animators? I've read on several threads that we have a habit of imagining ourselves fighting of hoards of enemies with crazy superpowers, and other stuff that could only happen in a cartoon, video game, or movie loaded with special effects. How many of you have shown an interest in the career?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 11:28 pm

There's a difference between natural interest and natural talent. I've done the same, imagined myself as the star of a video game, a fantasy novel, all kinds of superpowers... but I absolutely suck as an animator. It's odd, cause I've got professional skills as an artist, but something about the nature of timing and anticipation and stretch/squash throws me for a loop. I barely scraped by my animation classes in college.

I've speculated that it might be spectrum-related, due to troubles reading body language, but I have no problems giving characters expressive body language in a still pose... but add movement to the equation and things get shot to hell. I've concluded that it's probably got far more to do with having no sense of comedic timing or even humor in general, and the fact that I'm not used to the TV/movie visual language, from having no access to a TV till college.

I suppose animation could be a savant skill for someone on the spectrum, but it's by no means common to everyone.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2006, 3:16 pm

I definitely have an interest in animation; I'm planning to create my own animated cartoons as a career.