Mich. 'Crucible' instructor accused of witchcraft

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 4:35 pm

Mich. 'Crucible' instructor accused of witchcraft

Quote:
FERNDALE, Mich. - A man assigned "The Crucible" in an adult education English class doused his teacher with a nonflammable liquid and threatened to burn her as a witch, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Darin Najor, 20, ran from the classroom after the attack Sept. 11 and was sent for psychiatric evaluation after telling police "he was trying to kill the witch by pouring holy water over her head," Detective Ken Denmark said.

He was arrested Monday and scheduled for arraignment this month on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery.

The day before the dousing, Najor had asked the teacher whether she believed in witchcraft, police said. She told him she did not, calling Arthur Miller's play based on the 1692 Salem witch trials a metaphor for unjust persecution.

"The suspect threw his homework papers on the floor and declared it was all blasphemy," Denmark said. "The next day he came up behind her chanting what sounded like religious verses while she was working at her desk."

Court officials had no indication Najor had an attorney, and The Associated Press could not find a telephone number for him.

Police did not identify the teacher.

Surreal... 8O

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 4:48 pm

Surreal is how many churches still teach this garbage, and it's a lot worse in Africa.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:10 pm

Remnant wrote:
Surreal is how many churches still teach this garbage, and it's a lot worse in Africa.

What's the garbage you're referring to here? The works of Arthur Miller?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Surreal is how many churches still teach this garbage

This is not teaching, it's ignorance.

Accusations of witchcraft or sorcery arise in primitive cultures whenever people have a contagious disease.

What is "witchcraft"? I would use that word for any of the following:
1.spiritual Magick (conjuring)
2.Primitive culture "doctor"
3.RITUAL acts of religion
4.Genre of fantasy, like Harry Potter or Wizard of OZ
5.Genre of fantasy, involving romance and "love spells" etc
6.*---> Biblical witchcraft (rebellion, satanism, idolatry) <---*
7.Propaganda, knowingly teaching lies as truths (politics, cults)
8."will speaking", ("wishing","chanting","spellcasting" but not "praying")

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:19 pm

Teaching that Arthur Miller play does not constitute an endorsement or promotion of witchcraft. Teaching the play in class is not tantamount to practising witchcraft, either. You've got a strange idea in your head and it's made you irrational.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:31 pm

The student seemed to believe that teaching against the possibility of witchcraft was heresy. He perhaps believed that there are witches out there to be eradicated. The poster referencing church teachings appeared, to me, to be commenting on how the student came to such a belief, ie that there may be churches out there still sounding out alarms about witchcraft.

The Crucible is a chilling play showing how some of the darkest sides of human nature can be cloaked in misguided "good" intentions.

There are "witches" out there, but more as a nature based faith, than as a tool of any devil or demon. They don't hold any power over us, over God, or over the physical universe, and there is no need to fear them. I don't believe in witches of the kind that the people of Plymouth feared - they never existed. Which is the whole point, really. That fears are often unfounded, and it is the fear that causes the damage, not that which was feared.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 11 Oct 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:34 pm

The student seemed mentally unbalanced. Also, the culture of his native land (assuming it wasn't USA) might have had something to with him almost burning that poor woman alive.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:36 pm

Slowmutant, you misunderstood me if you are talking to me.

By ignorance I was referring to the motive of the man who attacked his teacher.
I was implying that he learned nothing in school NOR in church.

I was responding to "Surreal is how many churches still teach this garbage" meaning to say that he did NOT learn anything about witchcraft or The Crucible IN CHURCH therefore he is IGNORANT, NOT TAUGHT. Ignorant is the opposite of educated.

I emphasized the "church definition of witchcraft" in my list of things I think of as witchcraft, after asking for a definition that I probably should have just looked up in the dictionary.

I've read the Crucible and have no problem with it. I don't even have a problem with most of the things I said the word "witchcraft" reminds me of.

Peace. Sorry for any misunderstanding. :oops:

Quote:
...almost burning that poor woman alive.

Now don't take this question too seriously. Could the man have been so stupid as to believe that he could burn a witch with "Holy WATER"? Answer. Apparently so.
Why do you say that he almost burned her? Don't answer that. Don't worry. LOL!

Last edited by ValMikeSmith on 11 Oct 2008, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:42 pm

I misunderstood you as well. Sorry about that.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 9:50 pm

Actually, The Crucible is an allegory against McCarthyism, which was like witchcraft trials, but looking for Reds under the Bed...;)

How do you burn someone with an unflammable liquid? (unless we're talking acids or alkalines...;) The Good Lord loved idiots, he made so many of them...;)

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 10:28 pm

Ferndale is an inner ring suburb of Detroit. This is significant because a lot of the older Detroit suburbs are populated by refugees from the Middle East and Central Asia. Dearborn is almost exclusively Muslim to the point that a local college had to install ritual washing sinks (Muslims wash hands and feet before prayers) to prevent students from washing themselves in regular bathroom sinks. Hamtramck recently elected an all-Arab Muslim city council. There are Arab Christians, too, and holy water is also used by South Asians-it is especially important in Sikh ritual. The area these people came from is rife with conspiracy theories and folk religious beliefs, not necessarily Islam or Christianity or any mainstream belief but such things as belief in witches and the power of evil magic.

In the US, what are called "adult education centers" serve as babysitting places for adults who are unable to function in the greater society. They are often associated with Downs syndrome persons, but any developmentally disabled adult is eligible. Such "students" can sometimes have difficulty distinguishing reality from fantasy, or reality from an internal world, depending on their disorder. Being immersed in the folk beliefs of certain non-American cultures makes it that much harder. Lately, local school districts have been pressured to do more with these people than just having them do simple crafts like in the old days. So they've been "teaching" them, after a fashion.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 1:35 am

All that sounds about right.

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2008, 2:12 am

That's kinda scary... I didn't think anyone still believed in witches (not talking about Wicca if it even counts). 8O

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:43 am

Welcome to Michigan. A few years ago a woman burned her daughter to death in Zeeland Mich. because she thought her child was being overtaken by the Devil.

Z

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 9:47 am

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Quote:
Surreal is how many churches still teach this garbage

This is not teaching, it's ignorance.

Accusations of witchcraft or sorcery arise in primitive cultures whenever people have a contagious disease.

Accusations of witchcraft or sorcery also arise in any culture when the person accused likes to be a jerk and play head games. I've known some people who seem to me to need a bath in holy water, if that would actually help. The poor man in the article should have left the lighter at home and stuck with the water.

Ignorance, willful ignorance, stupidity, can be taught. Smart stuff isn't the only thing that can be taught. Dysfunctional and stupid systems of thinking can also be taught.

What is witchcraft? Ask James Sprenger and Heinrich Kramer. They were the creative writing team who wrote the Malleus Maleficarum and set off hundreds of years of hell on Earth. Before that time there weren't nearly so many ways to fantasize that one's neighbor was a witch instead of just an irritating old coot. Teaching people that witches exist gives people one more thing to accuse people of when.

I stand by my statement. The churches teach garbage.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 10:01 am

slowmutant wrote:
Remnant wrote:

What's the garbage you're referring to here? The works of Arthur Miller?

Witches and witchcraft. The idea that someone who you don't like who mistreats you might be a witch, which throws the deal outside of rational consideration of the fact that you're probably simply dealing with a social ret*d who has learned the effective use of aggression and willful stupidity. Not that this doesn't seem like some kind of weird magic. They do know how to defeat rational people but there is nothing supernatural about that.