Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 9:16 pm

Heh. I'm meeting up with this guy. He's an aspie and he's a member of WP. Ricky is a great guy and he's hilarious but he wants to do something before he leaves to mexico. He wants to meet up with me. I was very uncomfortable at first. He's 31 and I'm 18 and I've never been around people that age. He seemed truthful about his age and I doubt he's a pervert. The problem is I'm very shy and quiet around people and he seemed very excited to meet up with me. I accepted and told him to meet me at the college I go to. He and I are going to have lunch. I need some advice. Don't know how to make the first move or start a conversation. This is a stranger and I need to make a good impression. I'm a bit nervous writing this so please bear with me. Anyone got tips or advice for me?

15 Oct 2008, 9:22 pm

Let him talk to you first. He is an aspie too so you should be fine and not have to worry about coming off wrong. He will understand since he is one too.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 9:30 pm

somewhere neutral with clear exits...;) it sounds harsh, but I've done the meetup thing in the distant past. It's a bit of an age gap, but there's no telling about the maturity levels of either person. Still, no harm in a single meeting. If it doesn't work out, you both make your exits, and hopefully remain freinds...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 10:28 pm

pakled wrote:
somewhere neutral with clear exits...;) it sounds harsh, but I've done the meetup thing in the distant past. It's a bit of an age gap, but there's no telling about the maturity levels of either person. Still, no harm in a single meeting. If it doesn't work out, you both make your exits, and hopefully remain freinds...

Let someone know you are meeting him, and let them know where. If you have his phone number give it to the someone you know that knows you are meeting him.

If you have a cell phone, let that someone call about 10 minutes into the lunch and if you feel uncomfortable you can pretend the call is letting you know you gotta go, and make a dash for it.

Merle

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2008, 11:28 pm

Excellent advice from Sinsboldly. I would suggest you take it.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:41 pm

hmm, 31 sounds kind of old, doesn't sound like a smart thing to do, regardless if he's a WP member.
If your going to meet someone do it on your home ground, and make sure you let people know where
your going, or better yet go with a 3rd party. WP tends to get its share of freaks and preverts, sorry
guys, but thats a fact.

Last edited by silentbob15 on 16 Oct 2008, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:57 am

1. Be very careful.. you're meeting a stranger after all. Sinsboldly more or less has that covered nicely.

2. "Don't know how to make the first move or start a conversation. This is a stranger and I need to make a good impression. "

What does that mean?
Why do you have to make a good impression?
- Is he gonna offer you a job?
- Is he gonna be a romantic interest?

No... don't answer these questions here... just think about it.

and just act like yourself. Act how you would around friends and family rather than pretending that you're different. A good person will overlook (or even enjoy) your flaws as well as your strengths - and after all, you're trying to find out if he's really a "good person".

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 3:02 am

take a friend. your brother. or a big dog. some mace? at least a cell phone! he could be a perfectly nice guy, but you never know!
of course he's excited to meet up with you. just be careful. meet in public. be prepared to get hit on and practice what you'll say should that happen. he might not, but chances are this is why he wants to meet you.

also, do you think he will read this?

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 3:13 am

sinsboldly wrote:
pakled wrote:

If you have a cell phone, let that someone call about 10 minutes into the lunch and if you feel uncomfortable you can pretend the call is letting you know you gotta go, and make a dash for it.

Merle

oldest trick in the book!

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:41 am

buy something like this

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:15 am

Mexico is not known for being a safe place to live or even visit. Heck, even the police in Mexico will tell you that. If you MUST meet this man (which I do not advise), DO NOT GO ALONE. Meet in a public place and make sure you're not followed.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:21 am

I am curious what his member name is, just to learn what he talks about on here, and wither he seems like a loser or decent.

theotherle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 5:26 am

Google him.

Yeah, it's sort of lame, but if there are obvious inconsistencies in what you pull up and what he's told you, very worth it.

I chatted with someone local a while back. They said they were 29 (they were interested in meeting), but everything else showed they were 40. It happens. Also, if anything feels off, trust that feeling. It's usually right.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:32 am

daysleeper wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
pakled wrote:

Merle

oldest trick in the book!

errr... you said he's a WP member so... I guess it's already spoiled anyway.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2008, 8:23 am

sinsboldly wrote:
pakled wrote:

Merle

How about something that's not so mean? :(

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:34 am

Chimchar wrote:
How about something that's not so mean? :(

If he turns out to be a total assclown, then why would you care about being mean? Besides, if it's believable and he never knows otherwise, it's not mean.

I wish you the best, really. Just take the advice of letting someone know where you'll be and who you'll be with and make sure you have a plan in the event you DO have to get out of there.

Best of luck!