Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ladies: Do you often get spoken to in public by creepy men?
Yes, way too often! 48%  48%  [ 78 ]
It's happened a few times. 37%  37%  [ 60 ]
Not really. 14%  14%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 161

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:16 pm

Saara wrote:
weeelll....a few months ago when i was wating in a bus stop, some random guy, old enough to be my father, walked up to me, really REALLY close and asked if i wanted to go to his birthday party tonight....! !! that's creepy

In England, that would have been a double entendre.

("Birthday" can mean getting lucky, i.e. having sex.)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:57 am

Haliphron wrote:
I have yet to see any scientific evidence than men in their 20s have an easier time getting it up than men who are middle aged.

I believe is very common for middle age men to start having erectil problems and to decrease the potential with age, and when younger it works better, I even think that in adolescents when they are somewhere about 13 or 14 which are in the age of their noticable raging hormones, it is probably at this time in which the male package may work at its best, how many times a teenager boy can masturbate a day?

Morgana wrote:
a) Women in their 20´s are more attractive than women of any other age by virtue of the fact that they are more fertile, and
b) All of the traits that men find sexually appealing in women are directly related to fertility

I have read about some studies that have pointed out that possibility in explaining, especially in ancient cultures, why with many of them, men have found younger females more attractive.

Quote:
However, when I look around me in life, this theory just doesn´t seem to "hold water", for several reasons:

I believe the validity of a theory should be debunked or confronted under scientific grounds and empiricism, instead of under personal experience.

Quote:
1) As you so stated, "obese" women are not considered "sexy" in our society due to the fact that they don´t have curves- (huh??? I was under the impression that obese women did have curves? Well, we´ll leave that for a minute...) So based on your own theory, an obese 22 year old must necessarily be considered more attractive than a thin and svelte woman in her 30´s or 40´s, due to the fact that she is at the height of her fertility. Body size is not proportionate to age; there are overweight 20 year olds, and there are also many women who still have the same proportions, when they age, that they did at 18...so, I guess I don´t get that.

I don't think this to be that accurate to relate weight and age together on the issue, I would say to see them separated would be more correct, I tend to agree however, that what we find to be attractive is strongly related to culture, but the biological factor is there as well, which plays a factor on how a society gain their views on it.

Quote:
2) On a personal note, I experienced the most male attention and harassment between the ages of 11 and 18. I don´t know how it is now, but there was a time when 13, 14 and 15 year old models were preferred- (they were just made up and dressed to look older). In medieval times, 11 and 12 year old virgins were highly coveted, while a girl of 15 was often considered "past her prime". Hmmm, I think the oft-cultural standard of pre-pubescent girls as being the height of attraction doesn´t have too much to do with fertility...

Actually, that is one of the arguments used to support the case of fertility, the younger age stated here is 11, and girls at that age, if they started their periods, they can get pregnant, although at the same time it can be argued that giving birth at a younger age is dangerous for the young mother.

Quote:
3) In order to achieve the "Barbie Doll" look which is the ideal of today, most models need to be on very strict diets. Many are anorexic (some have even died from this). As I know from personal experience, an anorexic women often ceases to ovulate, thereby rendering her infertile. To complete the "Barbie Doll" ideal, many of these same women need to have breast enlargement operations. All this tampering with the human body is hardly "biological" or even natural. In fact, small-hipped "Barbie" is not a good candidate for birthing a baby, due to:

I have to agree that the "barbie doll" image is artificial, as naturally, women are not exaggeratedly "perfect" as shown in magazines, the media, movies, etc. as well as men, and given that aspect, I believe it influences men and women on forming their concept of beauty and what is or should be more attractive.

Quote:
5) There is absolutely no correlation between breast size and fertility. A flat chested woman can be just as fertile as a big busted woman! Men´s obsession with breasts have far more to do with psychological/cultural/emotional reasons involving the mother, nourishment, "unconditional love", etc.

That is actually debatable, it can be argued that another function of the breasts are to attract males, other than nurturing, not to mention that one thing that can make men attracted to breasts is that they don't have them, at least in the same way as women have, and that difference is what would make the attraction towards them. About the size, well, I would think it would be about the aesthetics of it which obviously takes part on the attraction, and the bigger they are the more noticable and pronounced they would be in the eyes, however, I think that could be debatable as well, as not everyone has the same taste on it, which it differs. And, something that I really don't know about is if the size can have something to do with milk?

Quote:
If you want to talk "biology", keep this in mind; if you were to take away all culture and society- (read "money" here)- a young human female in the jungle would have little likelihood of hanging around with an old male because, simply put, he may be more likely to die. Biologically speaking, a female would choose a male to protect her and help her look after the child...(I do believe this is again, simplifying the matter greatly, I´m just doing it for arguments sake...) Since, biologically speaking, women tend to outlive men by several years, it would actually make more sense for the female to choose a younger male for protection...hmmm...maybe this "cougar" thing you spoke of in another post is actually a biological instinct in women...(?)

Seeing that in that perspective it does make some sense, as males were hunting and women didn't, so the odds of them getting killed were great, however, the issue was about how culturally women had their place in society, given how they differ biologically, giving birth to children and nurturing them, they would have been "trained" since a very young age to become mothers and how to look after the children and so on, and I believe that is likely the influence, that biological difference, on how patriarchal systems came to be.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:39 pm

greenblue wrote:
Quote:
2) On a personal note, I experienced the most male attention and harassment between the ages of 11 and 18. I don´t know how it is now, but there was a time when 13, 14 and 15 year old models were preferred- (they were just made up and dressed to look older). In medieval times, 11 and 12 year old virgins were highly coveted, while a girl of 15 was often considered "past her prime". Hmmm, I think the oft-cultural standard of pre-pubescent girls as being the height of attraction doesn´t have too much to do with fertility...

Actually, that is one of the arguments used to support the case of fertility, the younger age stated here is 11, and girls at that age, if they started their periods, they can get pregnant, although at the same time it can be argued that giving birth at a younger age is dangerous for the young mother.

In ancient and classical India (and even into the 20th century) child brides were preferred - as young as 6 - and a girl who was unmarried by the time her period first started was considered an old maid. It wasn't her fertility that was the issue, it was her docileness. Younger girls are easy to dominate - they don't talk back so much. So you marry them young and get them trained the way you want them, and don't give them a chance to develop independence. Then you get them pregnant when they're older.

I think the average age for girls who are prostituted is 13-14 these days - again, I think it's the ease of domination that's the issue, not the fertility. And younger teens are easier to harrass because they don't know what to do as much.

I think power is always as much a part of the sex equation as fertility is. Niles Eldridge wrote a book about it recently, objecting to the idea that sexual selection means people who are better adapted have more children. He pointed out that wealthier people tend to have less children, not more. He talked a lot about sex and power.

Of course, a young fertile woman can be pretty cute. But she's more fun to flirt with if she's old enough to cope with the attention.

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2008, 11:45 pm

I could cope with men and being flirtacious when i was that age. Wether they could cope with me is a other story. Maybe younger girls are vunerable and they are but from my experience they can play and get exactly what they want.
They know what they are doing. It is nearly like men become the prey.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 1:11 am

Speak for yourself, Samara. I wore nothing but sports bras for the first five or six years after puberty in order to flatten out my breasts and draw less male attention. It made me nervous and afraid when men decades older than me, total strangers, approached me when I was alone and wanted to 'talk.'

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 2:18 am

Yeah, I will speak for myself, thanks. There is always two sides to a story.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 3:14 am

A close friend of mine, who I'll call J(he just turned 30 this june) is straight but because he dresses nicely-like an east coast ivy league prep, he's often mistaken for being gay. J told me that when he was in his late teens and early 20s he was constantly getting hit on by older gay men(like 10 years ago say). But now, he doesnt get NEARLY as much unwanted attention and he was commenting to me the other day about how creepy, older gay men "they like 'em young" too. So that really makes you wonder, creepy (older)men are attracted to youth, EVEN IF they're gay. :lol:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 5:31 pm

greenblue wrote:
I believe the validity of a theory should be debunked or confronted under scientific grounds and empiricism, instead of under personal experience.

Why that? What´s the point of a theory if it doesn´t "work" in real life? Remember, a theory is only a theory- scientific or otherwise- and, as far as I´m concerned, if it doesn´t pass the "common sense" test, there isn´t much point to it. Particularly if it´s a theory that is meant to describe human behavior; if that really is human behavior, one must be able to observe it in life. What I see in life is a wide variety; though some men are only attracted to very young women all their lives- (one could say the same of some women), most people don´t seem to be this stringent with age. I am not arguing that men don´t appreciate beauty- clearly they do- but there are beautiful women of all ages.

I agree with what you say about men being attracted to breasts because they are "different". This was a theory for a long time, and it makes sense to me, that men especially like those traits in women that are "not like them". The size of the breasts shouldn´t effect the availability of milk in any way. What makes big breasts big are more fat cells. However, when a woman´s breasts fill with milk, they do swell more; so- although a big breasted woman has no biological advantage in terms of actual fertility, this would be one logical reason why people psychologically associate big breasts with fertility. I actually hadn´t thought of that in my original argument, but it makes sense.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 10:29 pm

I dont believe for a MOMENT that MOST men in ANY culture would find older/middle aged women more sexually attractive than young women. Wisdom may be attractive to many people, but its just not *sexy* to us guys.

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

I dont know so much. I am 26 and younger guys like 18 seem to think i am sexy. I was just walking up the street and this car past, they had there windown down and he waves his hand out and says 'hey, how you going.' They like 18 and 19 and really hot!
All i do is smile and men always smile back.
Its like my neighbour gets really pissed with me because he has to get up at 5am for work and sometimes i am banging around in my flat doing house work and tripping over things and he cant sleep but he says then i walk past with my big smile and he's not angry anymore.
People think i am younger than i am too. They always guess i am about 19 or 21 at the most.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 12:15 am

Samara wrote:
I dont know so much. I am 26 and younger guys like 18 seem to think i am sexy. I was just walking up the street and this car past, they had there windown down and he waves his hand out and says 'hey, how you going.' They like 18 and 19 and really hot!
All i do is smile and men always smile back.
Its like my neighbour gets really pissed with me because he has to get up at 5am for work and sometimes i am banging around in my flat doing house work and tripping over things and he cant sleep but he says then i walk past with my big smile and he's not angry anymore.
People think i am younger than i am too. They always guess i am about 19 or 21 at the most.

I wasnt saying that there arent guys who prefer older women because there certainly ARE, as well as older women who like younger men. But in your case Samara, you're still in your 20s so its no suprise that guys younger than you think you're sexy.
But what the thread is about is "creepy" middle aged men(40s,50s, & beyond) who chase women young enough to be their daughters(or even grand daughters 8O). I mean, how would you feel personally if someone as old enough to be your grandpa did what that younger fella does? I did say earlier that women are the most desirable from their late teens through their early to mid 20s. BTW Morgan, I dont think that most men can distinguish visually between a 26-y-o woman and a 20-y-o woman. :lol:

Samara
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 1:28 am

:D Everyone loves a smile.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 10:01 am

Haliphron wrote:
I dont believe for a MOMENT that MOST men in ANY culture would find older/middle aged women more sexually attractive than young women. Wisdom may be attractive to many people, but its just not *sexy* to us guys.

First off, you´re twisting my words around. I never said that men find older women MORE sexy than younger women. I also never said that MOST men find older women more sexy. I agree that men in their 20s generally prefer women around the same age, although there are exceptions...(there are many teenagers who fantasize about attractive, sexy, experienced women in their 30s. You may find it hard to believe, especially if you happen to be one of the ones who doesn´t like older women....but it does happen, trust me! I know this for a fact. This theme even comes up often in movies, books and the media. Some men actually are turned on by sexual wisdom)....

All I was saying, before, was that it is possible for a woman to be sexually attractive at any age. And, that as men age, their "pool" widens; i.e., they may find women their own age attractive, as well as younger women...(and some may even prefer women their own age, as some men actually do find women more attractive who can carry on a mature conversation with them). A woman in her 40s CAN be beautiful (although not always), and a woman in her 20s CAN be ugly (although not always). All I was saying is that most men- though not all men- seem to appreciate beauty first. I´m not even sure if most men even care that much about age, if they are attracted to the person.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:24 pm

Morgana wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

First off, you´re twisting my words around. I never said that men find older women MORE sexy than younger women. I also never said that MOST men find older women more sexy. I agree that men in their 20s generally prefer women around the same age, although there are exceptions...(there are many teenagers who fantasize about attractive, sexy, experienced women in their 30s. You may find it hard to believe, especially if you happen to be one of the ones who doesn´t like older women....but it does happen, trust me! I know this for a fact. This theme even comes up often in movies, books and the media. Some men actually are turned on by sexual wisdom)....

All I was saying, before, was that it is possible for a woman to be sexually attractive at any age. And, that as men age, their "pool" widens; i.e., they may find women their own age attractive, as well as younger women...(and some may even prefer women their own age, as some men actually do find women more attractive who can carry on a mature conversation with them). A woman in her 40s CAN be beautiful (although not always), and a woman in her 20s CAN be ugly (although not always). All I was saying is that most men- though not all men- seem to appreciate beauty first. I´m not even sure if most men even care that much about age, if they are attracted to the person.

I am one who DOES like women older than myself. But for the most part Im just not attracted to women beyond their 40s.
BTW, WHY is it that younger men are considered to be less desirable than older men, especially by women in their 20s(and 30s)?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 3:15 pm

Morgana wrote:

Think, for example, the high school boys who get involved in relationships with female teachers. There was at least one case where the teacher got pregnant by the student, and the couple got married after she got out of prison for statutory rape.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 3:21 pm

Haliphron wrote:
I am one who DOES like women older than myself. But for the most part Im just not attracted to women beyond their 40s.
BTW, WHY is it that younger men are considered to be less desirable than older men, especially by women in their 20s(and 30s)?

Very young men still have an immortality complex brought about by testosterone poisoning. It's cheesy, but think 'Top Gun,' the movie: the first thing that happens is a pilot losing his immortality complex. To me, that's the beginning of sanity; the movie, however, was partly about a relationship with a woman who found that immortality complex attractive in another, younger pilot.

Some young men actually start out sane, but most of them seem to need close calls with death or maiming in order to get there. That doesn't happen until they're on their own for a while, which means that they have to be old enough to have been on their own for a while.

Not saying that women don't go through this too, but it does seem to be rarer.