Helping my daughter make an adjustment to middle school

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Laureanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2004, 2:58 pm

:?: My 6th grade daughter has started in a new school building this year. This year the students are expected to change classes and work with 5 teachers. My aspie daughter is having a terrible time. She overloads and cries. I need some suggestions and stratigies. She is in an integrated setting with a floating special education teacher. Thank you.
Laure

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Oct 2004, 3:11 pm

Laureanne wrote:
:?: My 6th grade daughter has started in a new school building this year. This year the students are expected to change classes and work with 5 teachers. My aspie daughter is having a terrible time. She overloads and cries. I need some suggestions and stratigies. She is in an integrated setting with a floating special education teacher. Thank you.
Laure

Other than the crying, what are the specific problems? What makes her cry? Does she get along with the other students?

D-R-J
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2004, 1:00 am

How crowded is it?

Laureanne

15 Oct 2004, 10:24 am

SHe is crying when she forgets homework at home or there is some major change in routine. there are about 30 kids in the integrated setting.
Laure

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2004, 12:40 pm

My suggestions:
*Keep all the classes in one BIG binder, with clearly labeled dividers. This helps so that homework, classwork, and different classes don't get lost. It seems like a pain, but then you don't have one of thouse moments where you go "Oh no I don't have that folder!"
*Put the schedule either on the front of the binder or the first page. This will help if she gets overloaded and can't recall the schedule.
*See if it's possible for her to get a 5 minute pass (leave five minutes early to go to the next class) This could help with overloading from it being too crowded.
*Give her a 'cool down' time when she gets home.
*Get a planner for HW, important dates, etc.
*Talk to her to see if anything specifically bothered her and then discuss how she could handle it next time.

I hope these suggestions help.