Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ThunderFox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 3:17 am

Mosse wrote:
So... I'm the only one in existence who wants his autism cured? :?

The problem is the cure is at what expense. Second, looking for a cure is always at the expense of looking for better coping methods, education options and other ways to deal with the issues that come with Asperger's Syndrome.

"Well it's exactly the same . . .
But, Vash the Stampede's idea of 'kin'
stretches way beyond the norm."
-- Trigun Maximum 1; by Yasuhiro Nightow

jaymannj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 8:40 pm

Autism speaks is so stupid. id dont see the point... they treat the autism/AS community as if were vegtables... we can f*****g live... they want to talk for us... well how about they man up... get an autistic person on the board to tell the truth... they make autism look like a disease... whereas i sometimes see it as a blessing... i dont want them representing me... they can speak there asses off... lol they do a lot of speaking and not a lot of doing... i concider them usless.... so join in in a boycott against Autism speaks...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

Mosse wrote:
Yeah, like Lau says, most people on here do NOT want to be cured.

Kara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2008, 1:15 pm

What I find so offensive about all the curebies, is that they always say "1 in 150 have Autism" making it sound like those are all lower funcioning autistics, when in fact it is the whole spectrum.
When we speak for ourselves, we get accused of being high-functioning and do not know what it's like to be "really" autistic.
Well, if I'm one of the 150, and they're using me in their statistic to scare the world about how terrible autism is, I have to speak up and say "Pardon me, you're lying!"

It's quite telling that they never mention the fact that 78% on the spectrum are high-functioning.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 2:52 am

Mosse wrote:

I dont have a disese.
2 My mowney is my money

mossicon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2008, 7:15 am

Mosse wrote:

I can see what you mean with wanting to be normal but there is no way to do that. Autism is a difference in brain structure. The only cure Autism Speaks wants is death (via selective abortion) or some sort of lobotomy which hasn't been discovered yet, if it ever will be. So which do you want Mosse, death or lobotomy? No cake option here. There is ineffective and expensive biomed if you want to go down the anti-vaccination route of bad science and self denial.

art4autism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2008, 8:58 pm

I think if there were a cure it would come down to personal choice. My son who is 10 told me he does not want his autism cured. It really made me look at autism in a different light. If there were a cure it would be up to my child. At the age of 10 he seems to be very happy with the way he is. He is an awesome individual. He writes incredible stories. Would his gifts change if he were cured? If you take away one thing what else would disappear. Autism Speaks is really looking for a cure for the children who can't speak at all. Aspies fall into a different group imo. My son is very gifted. He can communicate well. He can decide if he wants to change or not. But a non-verbal child has no power.

http://www.kimdean.com

"For success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential" ?Hans Asperger"

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

mossicon wrote:
So which do you want Mosse, death or lobotomy?

I'll take either. :D

End it all?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:51 am

Mosse wrote:
mossicon wrote:
So which do you want Mosse, death or lobotomy?

I'll take either. :D

mmm Hanibble

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2008, 8:35 am

Mosse wrote:

::pats Mosse sholder:: If it's any consolation, I believe in supporting anyone who wants a cure, but personally if I could choose between being educated on basic informal social skills, organization, encoding info from mental images to words and sentences and time management, and getting surgery/a pill that would "cure" my AS (via re-wiring my brain); I'd take the education. Hey give a man a fish you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for life. :)

ed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 1:00 pm

I came upon this thread while looking to find out why there is so much animosity toward Autism Speaks. I've read all your posts, and still haven't found a good reason. As some of you have said, they deal primarily with LFA, not people like us, which tells me that we are not at risk from them. I was interested in the part about them using a 1 in 150 ratio in their presentations, which, if Kara is right

Quote:
What I find so offensive about all the curebies, is that they always say "1 in 150 have Autism" making it sound like those are all lower funcioning autistics, when in fact it is the whole spectrum.
When we speak for ourselves, we get accused of being high-functioning and do not know what it's like to be "really" autistic.
Well, if I'm one of the 150, and they're using me in their statistic to scare the world about how terrible autism is, I have to speak up and say "Pardon me, you're lying!"

It's quite telling that they never mention the fact that 78% on the spectrum are high-functioning.

would indeed be a lie. (Kara, where did you get that information? I would be interested in reading more.)

I recently watched a movie they did on LFA, and wasn't offended or anything, in fact I enjoyed it.

I'm prepared to hate Autism Speaks as much as anyone, but first I'd need better proof than you all have given here.

Last edited by ed on 25 Dec 2008, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 1:32 pm

If autism is genetic, then the vaccine theory can pretty much be ruled out.

I equate the "cure for autism" with when I was taking Zoloft for depression. The Zoloft helped reduced the depression, but it suffocated all the other emotions (including joy and happiness). I quit taking the Zoloft because I would rather feel happiness and depression than neither.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 5:11 pm

Mosse wrote:

No. I'd give anything to take away the sensory defensiveness and difficulties with social issues (and I wouldn't see the destruction of those problems as a destruction of myself, no more than treating a cold or flu), but these people are evil.