ANYONE ELSE write Fluent mirror writing

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

InAResearch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2012, 12:25 am

Yes, I can write upside-down and backwards legibly with either hand. I can also write upside-down and backwards and plain upside-down, changing the orientation of the letters at will. It is all very fluent, and since I don't have to think much to make this work, I often wonder why most people can't do it. The ability to mirror-write is said to only seen in 1 in 6,500 people. Few studies have been done on it, probably from lack of participants.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

I don't anymore, but I used to have fun trying to write backwards. Doesn't come as naturally as my normal handwriting, but it wasn't difficult. Also used to forget which way J's faced, and often get b's and d's confused in words where they're ever put next to each other(for example, Gibdo).

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

andriarose wrote:
CTBill wrote:
I used to be able to write forward with my (dominant) right hand, and simultaneously backward with my left (the same text).

I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world who did that... :D

I do the same! When I got bored in class I would write my notes backwards to keep myself awake.

I have to work very hard at getting my left hand to write forward - and, even then, I typically trip up and switch back - usually when I hit an "e".

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:42 am

(Necroed thread moved from Autism discussion to Random)

I used to like mirror writing too when I was young, using my left hand writing backwards was almost as easy as writing forwards using my right hand.

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 1:51 am

But why? what practical use could learning how to write backwards possibly have? It's like being able to say what day of the week a certain date is, whats the point?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:54 am

I can read & write text in any orientation I choose with both hands. My left is slightly neater than my right, but both are messy. I don't do it very often, so it's not totally smooth, but I'm sure if I practiced regularly, it would be more fluent.

The toughest thing is writing two different words with both hands at the same time, that's because vocabulary is normally stored only on one side of the brain. The same word with both hands at the same time is a lot easier.

Diagnosed in 2005

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

I can do the one hand forward, one hand mirror, DaVinci thing, though I'm left handed, not ambidextrous, so it doesn't look very good.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

CTBill wrote:
I think Leonardo DaVinci used to write backward in Latin in his notebooks.

I think he wrote in Italian.
I can do mirrored writing and upside down writing but just in capital letters. I'm gonna start practicing :)

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

I can mirror write, but not as fast as I can write normally. On the other hand, I can read mirror writing as easily as normal writing. But I only discovered this skill about one month ago.

I can write with either my left or right hand, but I am not ambidextrous.

forever4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2014, 2:29 am

I can also write backwards with my left hand and I am right-handed. When held up to the mirror, the writing looks just as nice as if I wrote it forward with my right hand. I have seen several things online about left-handers writing backwards with their left hand but not very many can mirror write with their non-dominate hand. Also, I don't need to be writing forward with my right hand at the same time in order to do this

Another odd thing that might be tied to this ability: I can read text that is upside down with no problem.

I wish I could find stats on how common this ability is. In talking with friends and colleagues, it doesn't seem very common.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2014, 8:37 am

My mirror writing is neater than my normal writing. I'm left-handed.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 6:17 pm

I use to do that in my special ed class because I wanted to make life hard for my teacher. I also use to sign my work sheets upside down.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 1:12 pm

I can write backwards in the frost on the windshield so that it's the right way around when you get in the car. Is that the same thing? I use my right hand both backwards and forwards. I can read upside down quite easily, too.