Emu Egg

03 Dec 2005, 6:26 pm

When i was in school, I had a hard time keeping up in school, when i
had to write, the teacher would be having us take notes and i
tried but i felt like everybody was going too fast for me. I would
always complain that my arm was hurting, i felt pain in it, it
hurts to write, alot of times in some classes the teacher would
give me the overhead copy to copy. It helped me. I felt alot
of times that i had too much writing to do, it was overwhelming it stressed me out , i sometimes felt like i wanted to scream
because it was frustrating me. I couldn't keep up with the other
students and i finally got to use a alpha smart pro when i was in
11th grade and i suffered most of my life trying to write and get my
work done and i write big too and i write very,very,very slow and i
am lucky if i get one assignment down . I had times that teachers
would write for me and there was times that i felt inside that i
need to write for myself instead of people writing for me ,but i
started understanding that the teachers tried to help me get my work
done quicker. It takes 2 to 4 hours to sometimes take a test but i
want to try the hardest that i can and i want good grades. I always
want my letters to be perfect . I have a hard time writing with a
pencil or any other thing that it irriates my hand , It's not
comfortable. I have tried gray tape, and other tape and grippers,
fat pencils,but none of it worked , it is uncomfortable to grip a
pencil , it makes me so stressed out. Sometimes i cry because i
can't grip the pencil to be comfortable and i have tried other ways
to hold the pencil but it didn't work and i have a hard time and it
takes times away from my assignment and it takes me longer to get
started on my work and i want to know if this
is dysgraphia or what and i been told that to not go to college ,
that it is not a good idea. i found out that i have dyspraxia, i searched for answers for along time and finally know the truth that i have dyspraxia and that explains my difficulty with gym, that explains why i run the way i do and why i have problems with alot of different things and it explains why i start getting tensed up when i hear a storm and i am so scared of storms, and i have started wearing a sweatshirt with a hood on it and have my hood on my head to feel protected and secured also,i have slept with my hood on my head. That also explains why some kinds of clothes irritate me also is uncomfortable to wear, and I have to tuck my shirts in to not feel the tags in my clothes and so i can't feel the scratchy tags on my skin. It also explains why my hands shake when i try to do certain things. It also explains why i walk too close to things and people. It also explains why i have limited fine motor skills.
It also explains why i take along time to get a assignment done.

I notice that my niece has better motor skills i have i think and it doesn't take her long to get something done.

by the way this is something i wrote in the past.
but if you want me to change some of this and let me know, i will work on it.

I haven't been tested but i think i have dyspraxia but i need to find out if a professional thinks i have dyspraxia.

What do everybody think i have?

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 9:21 pm

No ide what you have, but as someone who has horrible handwriting and trouble writing fast enough to take legible notes while my professors lecture, I can suggest this:

Strongly recommend that you get a laptop or something similar and try typing instead of writing by hand. You may be able to get a special keyboard (larger, softer keys) as well. Depends on the severity of your pain and the condition of your hands though - if its bad enough you may not be able to type except really slowly.

Colleges don't care if you use a laptop to take notes - I've never needed to ask permission to use one. Don't know about primary or secondary schools, though, but if its a disability I'm sure they'd be willing to discuss the issue.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 11:10 pm

yeah, get a laptop. teachers will understand if you really need it. it's so much easier to type than write anyway!

and yeah, i don't know anything about this condition. sounds like me when i was younger - my mom cut all the tags off my shirt and i couldn't wear wool sweaters. i also had and still have trouble wearing hats (except for beanies) and i also had trouble w/ fine motor skills and trouble w/ keeping up in class. maybe this is a depevlomental issue? i know you can maybe visit a certain kind of therapist to help w/ motor skills and that sort of anxiety...

but meanwhile, i'm hoping they invent a certain kind of pencil that is comfortable for you to use. cuz that can just be the worst thing ever! i feel for you and i hope everything works out!

please feel better!

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 11:47 pm

Dyspraxia or disgraphia is not a reaon to not go to college. If it is documented on your medical record, it would be illegal for them to not make accommodations for you.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2005, 1:59 pm

it definitely sounds like u have dyspraxia cuse i knw cuse i have it.
Do u have any other problems?

Stop talking trash

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2006, 4:43 am

i have really bad spelling and really bad motor wrighing skills i do hold my pencil slightly weird and it hurts lables on cloths bont bother me as much as they used to but i prefure to rip them out as soon as i know i fit them. i ofen get really stressed when i walk up to the teacher with my messy page or wrighting only i can understand ive herd thats part of AS from a book i read thats ment to help pearents. this year i might ask my dean if im aloud to use a lap top if im not then ill be ok i will just use a computer for my home work.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:31 am

I have massive problems with writting and I used to have massive problems with spelling to but my spelling seems to of got better since I reached 17. I am going back to studying again and I am getting a Notetaker.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 8:24 am

I have no idea what you have, but whatever it is you might need to pick up the pace.