Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 5:43 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Nov 2008, 1:49 pm

Hi jmfoster. Before I went to be diagnosed I started getting nervous. Then I told myself, "Why get nervous?" If I have it, I have it, it's not going to change me one way or the other. There are other things that can sound like Asperger's. Even being gifted has traits remarkably similar to it. And, giftedness and AS can co-exist. AS can come with OCD, ADHD, and other things. So it really takes a trained professional in autism spectrum/Asperger's to determine it. I decided that when I went to the clinic to just be myself and let the diagnosis do its thing---and it said to me, "you have Asperger's". I was evaluated on two tests/evaluations and met the Asperger's criteria on both of them. One thing I did, and you have already done some of it, was prepare a history based on things observed by teachers, parents, friends, and myself. This really helped. You too have prepared a list of items to help. After I was diagnosed, I bought one of Tony Attwood's books and have come to considerable understanding of myself in a relatively short amount of time. Reading that book is like reading my biography. I am going to receive some "coaching skills" from the clinic to help me with a couple issues associated with my Asperger's. I hope everything goes well for you. But like I said before, it's not going to change who you are. But you can learn to deal with issues better to make life easier. Good luck.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 2:48 pm

Welcome to the Forums :)

L.