Is A Job Ticket Recommended For An Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Goose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2008, 4:15 pm

I am an Aspie.

I just learned from my local Independent Living Center about a program called a "job ticket" or "ticket for work" where you can get this ticket from the Social Security Administration, I already recieve SSI, and this can give you access to these special centers with computers of job listings and possibly a councler.

Do you recommend these option for an Aspie? Or is not in my best interest?

Does anyone out here have experience with these centers?

Thanks very much!! !

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2008, 4:59 pm

Well, if they offer a counselor I would probably take them up on it, as long as you feel that you are physically/mentally able to keep some sort of job.

The counselor would probably be able to point you to something that might work for you.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 8:31 pm

Goose wrote:
I am an Aspie.

I just learned from my local Independent Living Center about a program called a "job ticket" or "ticket for work" where you can get this ticket from the Social Security Administration, I already recieve SSI, and this can give you access to these special centers with computers of job listings and possibly a councler.

Does anyone out here have experience with these centers?

I have never heard of a "job ticket" from the Social Security Administration... and the SSA does allows people to work under certain rules and regulations. As for special centers with computers, job listings and counselors...is called a state employment center and every city in each state (in the USA) has one.

25 Nov 2008, 9:50 pm

I have only had negative experience with going to a career center to look for employment. The only time I've gone, all it did is what I could of done from home. No one helped me with anything.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 9:59 pm

I'm not sure of the situation, but some forms of SS (Social Security, not the other...;) only last through a certain amount of childhood.

Right now, I'd say take any and all help you can get finding a job. They're scarce enough for any type of person...

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:58 am

I actually participated in "ticket to work". After a couple intake meetings, the local Dept of Rehab (California) dumped me on a nonprofit called Pride Industries. After some more testing, they determined that I was too high functioning to work for them in their warehouse where they assemble boxes and clean plastic containers, so they handed me a couple job search websites and wished me luck. Upshot: I got nowhere with it. It seems that here at least if you're not mentally ret*d (low functioning) that ticket to work doesn't help.

Goose

28 Nov 2008, 11:59 am

Thanks everyone for their wisdom and insider infomation.

Happy Thanksgiving!! !

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:30 pm

One thing to remember is that if you get a job, you have to report your income to Social Security, and they'll deduct what you're earning from that check. That's just one way they'll cut part of your check, if they think you can't pay your share of expenses, they'll cut 1/3 of your check. I just had that happen to me, and with that worker's logic, nobody would be able to qualify for the full amount people could get if they're not working.

ThunderFox

01 Dec 2008, 6:30 am

Well the programs aren't perfect, they're better than nothing, and the people do usually try their best.

Often you have problems trying to find an agency that has the ability to help people with Asperger's syndrome, because it is such an unusual and diverse pattern, compared to other more common issues. Many people try to assume what's good for the goose is good for the gander and thus when dealing with people with Asperger's syndrome treat them all the same. This is probably the biggest mistake.

I myself have finally found myself working with local MRDD under Developmental Disabilities, to get some experience and references in the meantime. They have good experience with quite a few people with Savant Syndrome, and several people with autism, but not too much experience with Asperger's.

I have to say, in this climate, you have to use any functional tool at your disposal.

"Well it's exactly the same . . .
But, Vash the Stampede's idea of 'kin'
stretches way beyond the norm."
-- Trigun Maximum 1; by Yasuhiro Nightow