Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Oct 2004, 9:48 am

So, I just got back from a dance last night and it was pretty fun. You guys ever been to dances? We had a break dancing competition. I don't think I won, but oh well. It was fun anyway.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2004, 4:55 pm

I went to an end-of-the-year dance back in 7th grade on May 21, 1993. I stayed out on the gym floor around a group of people I had in one of my classes.

One of them was good at all kinds of dance moves and was trying to teach me some.

I looked like the biggest fool trying to coordinate my arms and legs.

The music was mainly early 90's dance music (c+c music factory, technotronic, you get the picture), along with ballads thrown in for the occasional slow dance. All of this was accompanied by lights, lasers, and strobe lights thrown in for atmosphere.

Later on that group of people got bored with me and I went into the bleachers for the rest of the evening. I spent most of the rest of the evening stimming off watching the lasers and strobe lights doing their things.

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2004, 12:12 am

Hey Alex, Scoots,

I've been to a few dances in my life - school dances, prom (once), and church camp dances.

Generally, I don't think we miss much by not going to them - they are places where social skills are a prerequisite, and if you don't have them, you end up like Scoots - sitting in the bleachers, stimming off lights or lasers.

Unless you like doing one of the following...

1) Dancing your own personal style w/ the beat, or dancing to your own beat,
2) Encouraging other lonely hearts from the stands/bleachers to dance with you,
3) Standing at the edge of the crowd waiting for something to happen, and watching all the intense social gymnastics being played out by your fellow students. <grin>

Also, your prom date is not guaranteed to stay with you the entire night, and she may not be asking you simply because she likes you as a human being, but as an excuse so that she can dance w/ another partner the whole night. I'm not saying that's always the case, but that's what happened to me.

mentalman

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Oct 2004, 3:44 pm

Tons of people came up to me today and told me that they didn't realize how good a dancer I was until they saw how awesome I was two nights ago. I didn't realize this either, but I guess I'm pretty good.

WillyWebbs
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2004, 4:29 pm

good to hear your a good dancer alex. At most dances ive been to, I really dont dance much, unless im drunk, im afraid ill make a fool of myself. I do though, like to danceing that involves getting close to a girl, like slow dancing or grinding.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2004, 6:23 am

I actually like dancing, I love the music and went to many dances in Jr. and Sr. High partly of my own volition and partly because other people would basically 'drag' me there saying that I needed to get around other people and such. Of course, I couldn't tell them back then that I really didn't have an easy time of being around others. So instead of sitting at homes, my parents would encourage my so-called 'friends' to get me out.

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2004, 6:39 pm

I've been to a few dances. I started going to dances back in 7th grade when I went to my first activity night. Here, they had dancing, basketball, movies, etc. Of course, I could never dance like those guys and I never figured it out, but I liked to walk around and listen to the music and watch the other people dance. I also did other stuff too. I went to a lot of those in 7th and 8th grade. When High School came around, I didn't go to any of the dances. In my Sophomore year, I went to Homecoming because my German class was hosting our sister school from Austria during the time of Homecoming so my friends and I took the Austrian group to the dance. Then in Junior and Senior years, I decided to try and make the most of my last two years in high school. Even though I only went to the prom once (Junior year), I went to all of the dances in my last two years of high school.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2004, 8:29 am

I went to a few dances in jr high and high school. Not pleasant experiences for me. I did not like the noise level, the flashing lights, and the general crowd dynamics.
I've been to dinners that included a period of dancing afterwards. Much smaller groups, nicer lighting. I still feel extremely self-conscious on the dance floor, so I usually spend most of the evening at the table. Occasionally hubby can coax me out for a slow dance.

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2004, 5:58 pm

Have!! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2004, 7:56 am

I enjoy going to dances. I just went to a Halloween Dance at my Clubhouse on Friday Night. I'm one of these people who has to be dancing all night. I'm not that good at making small talk, so it's easier for me to just keep on moving :D

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2004, 7:25 pm

ooh, I love dances.

I often go to night clubs and dance on the tables. It's great fun, and it's excersise. ;)

Katana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2004, 8:25 pm

Dancing?! You're 'aving a larf. :shock: :lol:

I'm the most uncoordinated person you're ever likely to meet. I make a drunk monkey look like Torville & Dean.

Really, I'm that bad!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2004, 8:31 pm

who cares what people think? :)

I can't dance at all. You're not alone. :)

Katana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2004, 8:47 pm

I'd love to shed that self-consious view of mine that I have, but it's the most difficult thing in the world for me. :)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2004, 8:49 pm

Yeah, it's not easy. I still find myself nervous around some people.
I for one think that everyone is talking about me. It doens't help :/

Good luck to you though. :D

Katana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2004, 8:51 pm

Thanks! :D

Hmmm - I appear to have become a butterfly. From an emu egg...? :D