Having AS and a really high intelligence ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2008, 12:22 pm

This is the case for myself, I got extremely good grades in each subject, even if i'm not working too much ; I have also a great memory, but I don't remember clearly my childhood (somewhat strange). Thus I'm asking if you know if High IQ (well, it's only for shortening, IQ doesn't mean anything) is somehow related to AS ?
Thanks for a nice and prompt answer.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:36 pm

If you have Asperger Syndrome, you should have developed intellectually faster than normal because the brains of AS kids grow faster than NT kids. In your late teens, your brain growth will slow down and the other kids will catch up. So if you want to stay ahead, you can't let up on studying or you will lose your advantage! In general, many AS have high or above average IQ.

Also, some MRI studies suggest that, although the brains of normal people "catch up" late in teen years to AS brains, the brains of AS people continue to grow in middle age, which is abnormal. The brains of NT people start shrinking in middle age. Presumably, they don't get stupider, but IMO they have difficulty learning new things. NT's don't keep learning and evolving as adults the way I think Asperger people can.

Any middle aged AS people to comment on whether it seems to them that they are continuing to learn/develop more than their sisters and brothers?

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:41 pm

all i can say is that i'm 25 and still capable of learning lots of interesting things ^.^ x

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2008, 12:44 pm

It's not even my classmates are distanced, it is that, like my doctor said, that they won't catch up in terms of Intelligence (certainly because of my very high IQ), but in terms of maturity they will, and my life will become easier (this doctor diagnosed me AS).
For example, I know 6 languages, learnt them in one year, I have self-taught Arabic.
Sorry if it looks like "I'm the most intelligent people on earth", but I had to speak of that.

Last edited by DarthMaxeuis on 26 Nov 2008, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2008, 12:45 pm

I'm 33 and still curious about the world. I like learning new things and I don't want to stop doing it.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2008, 12:50 pm

I'm a bit like you, but we've got a huge difference of age, so i don't think I can compare ^^

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 12:51 pm

DarthMaxeuis wrote:
Sorry if it looks like "I'm the most intelligent people on earth", but I had to speak of this.

If you stick around you will find this topic brought up ad nauseum- at least 2-3 times/week.
The general concensus is that persons with Asperger's can have a higher IQ than their peers. But this is still the exception, not the rule for persons with Asperger's.
It is also generally understood that IQs are never static: They change over time.
For example, When I was in 7th grade I had a measured IQ of 87. I did average to poor in school and had to take several summer courses just to keep from being held back.
I didn't graduate with my peers due to problems in math- so I have a GED instead. I went to community college and promptly failed out after 3 semesters.
My doctor recently measured my IQ at 133. Which is more accurate? Who's to say?
Just do your best in school and stay challenged.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:04 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
For example, When I was in 7th grade I had a measured IQ of 87. I did average to poor in school and had to take several summer courses just to keep from being held back.
I didn't graduate with my peers due to problems in math- so I have a GED instead. I went to community college and promptly failed out after 3 semesters.
My doctor recently measured my IQ at 133. Which is more accurate? Who's to say?
Just do your best in school and stay challenged.

Well, maybe you are an example of an Asperger whose brain continues to grow in middle age.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:18 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Well, maybe you are an example of an Asperger whose brain continues to grow in middle age.

Which only lends credibility to the fact that the IQ of a person is ever-changing.
Besides, cellular myelanation occurs in ALL people throughout their lives, without regard to AS:
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con ... 55/11/1489

petrossa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2008, 1:40 pm

at 52 i still find to be able to grasp new idea's quicker then my agegroup, also the never ending quest for knowledge forces me to absorb every subject of my interest. The 'encyclopedic' memory just keeps on growing as hours on the net accumulate.
I do find though that my concentration span diminishes (or my patience). Not too long ago i'd read entire scientific studies for hours on end, engrossed in every detail. Nowadays i'm sort of skipping through the text speedreading, in so doing i go for the bigger picture and seem to lose obsession with detail.

I tend to get more 'big picture' insights then before.

IQ tests are ridiculous they just produce a result to a test that in itself has no meaning. Comparing IQ is as correlating shoe size to beer consumption and deducing people with big feet drink more beer.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:47 pm

petrossa wrote:
Comparing IQ is as correlating shoe size to beer consumption and deducing people with big feet drink more beer.

:lol:

Not true- I drink a LOT of beer and only have average feet.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2008, 1:49 pm

Quote:
I don't remember clearly my childhood (somewhat strange).

I can't remember my childhood well too... :doh: I have strong and clear memories from when I was 11... What happened with the previous period? Maybe we were both abducted by aliens and brain-washed? [I'm not being sarcastic here, who knows?]

And it is not neceserily connected - the high IQ and AS... [Methinks :twisted: ]

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:06 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Besides, cellular myelanation occurs in ALL people throughout their lives, without regard to AS: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con ... 55/11/1489

The MRI studies I mentioned were not cell production but actual increases in brain volume by mass in the few Asperger adults in the studies. NT adults' brains shrink (negatively correlated with age).

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:13 pm

I was treated as though I was a little bit stupid and thus I left school with qualifications that aren't worht the paper they are written on and no self esteem. My IQ after teaching myself chemistry was mmeasured only as a paultry 110 which to me is in clear error as if any clinical psychologist would know by using a bit of brains that Asperger syndrome people do not have measurable IQs. So it is stupid to put a figure down in any file except IQ: Untestable :idea:

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:18 pm

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
I was treated as though I was a little bit stupid and thus I left school with qualifications that aren't worht the paper they are written on and no self esteem. My IQ after teaching myself chemistry was mmeasured only as a paultry 110...

So my IQ at 87 would be considered...?

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
...which to me is in clear error as if any clinical psychologist would know by using a bit of brains that Asperger syndrome people do not have measurable IQs.

I have never heard this before. I'm certain my doctor would be suprised by this, um, revelation.

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
So it is stupid to put a figure down in any file except IQ: Untestable :idea:

I don't know how valid that would be, but whatever.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 2:22 pm

ephemerella wrote:
The MRI studies I mentioned were not cell production but actual increases in brain volume by mass in the few Asperger adults in the studies. NT adults' brains shrink (negatively correlated with age).

Could you provide links? I'd be interested in reading more because, quite honestly, this is contrary to everything I remember learning in school (granted, that was a loooooong time ago).