Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 2:33 pm

I know theres a whole arguement about whether or not people are proud to have as and whether or not they would want to get rid of it but when it comes down to it...come on people we're unique. Yea it's frustrating as hell that NO one gets us at times but think about when they finally do, how relieving that is and besides do we all really want to be clones of one another, or do we want to offer something unique to the world....I SAY UNIQUE. To all the AS, lets show them what we're made of

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 2:54 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
I know theres a whole arguement about whether or not people are proud to have as and whether or not they would want to get rid of it but when it comes down to it...come on people we're unique. Yea it's frustrating as hell that NO one gets us at times but think about when they finally do, how relieving that is and besides do we all really want to be clones of one another, or do we want to offer something unique to the world....I SAY UNIQUE. To all the AS, lets show them what we're made of

Being unique is not necessarily good. I used to think it was a positive, but it isn't really. Even if unique means better, it is not necessarily good. People like to be around others who are similar to themselves.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:00 pm

Unique is better than non-unique if all else is equal.

That's because there are lots of different problems that society faces; and some of them will be easily solved by average people; but some are very difficult unless you are unique. It doesn't even have to do with intelligence; just difference--if you need to drive a nail into a wall, a screwdriver won't do; but there's nothing superior about a hammer versus a screwdriver, really; you need them both at one time or another. A society with lots of variation in it has more resources to combat the different problems that face it, like having a big tool box with lots of different tools in it; that means that the more diversity there is in it, the better. A society is stronger and more flexible when it contains diversity of all sorts, including not just neurological but racial, cultural, gender, and age differences too; and supporting people's difficulties is worth it for the benefits that a diverse population brings.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 3:00 pm

being unique will get you no where in life, much like a rare comic book you'll just sit on the shelf collecting dust

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 3:23 pm

Agreed, Josh.

""Of course I'm unwell! Always have been. What good would I be otherwise? You set the ideal that all should be healthy and well-adjusted. NO! NO! Were we all well-adjusted, we would ossify and die. The world is kept healthy only by some of the unhealthy minds lurking in it. The first implement made by man was not a scraper or celt or stone knife. It was a crutch, and it wasn't devised by a hale man."

--R.A. Lafferty, from the story Eurema's Dam

To3To3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 3:30 pm

Yet again, this depends on the people you associate with...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 3:32 pm

richardbenson wrote:
being unique will get you no where in life, much like a rare comic book you'll just sit on the shelf collecting dust
Mm... ask that to just about any eccentric scientist or artist or... well, heck, ask my mom, who's a decent occupational therapist... I have a feeling they'll disagree :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 3:36 pm

your brain is like an egg, too much heat and it gets scrambled. a little bit of this can make you go along way or a little bit of that and your f-cked

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:24 pm

Callista wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Mm... ask that to just about any eccentric scientist or artist or... well, heck, ask my mom, who's a decent occupational therapist... I have a feeling they'll disagree :)

I'd love to be an eccentric scientist and was on the way to becoming one, but I couldn't deal with other people or the hyper-social living conditions. That's why I had to leave. I just felt like waste of space and everyone had fun while I did not. It was the most unfriendly place I've ever been to and I really felt like I didn't belong there. They all distracted me with their chatter and nothing was predictable or safe. I couldn't cope with all the collaborative work because I can only deal with one person at a time.

Oh well... :(

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:35 pm

Everyone's unique, regardless of mental 'pigeon-hole'. I just hope it's an employable one for me.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:40 pm

Pedophiles are unique as well.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 4:45 pm

:lol:

:?

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:54 pm

Actually everyone's unique, even identical twins.

- Neil Innes.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2008, 4:55 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
Actually everyone's unique, even identical twins.

This.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2008, 5:06 pm

richardbenson wrote:

Pas moi. Being unique has won me the respect of my daughter and her friends (teenagers, no less), the love of a wonderful partner, a career in which people marvelled at my ability to work faster and with more focus and clarity than most human beings they'd ever met, and the gratitude of homebound people that few others cared about until unique little me showed up with the odd idea that I might be of help.

So right on, Josh, be proud of who you are, because you have a unique purpose that no one can fulfill except you.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:07 pm

We're all the same because we're not all the same.

Paradoxical but true.

As human beings, we all have one thing in common:

We're all unique.

Could some of us be more unique than others though?