Page 9 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 8:54 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
In response to this whole "imagination" = "pictures in head thing" thing.....

:lol: As if it were this contentious proposal!

Quote:
There's a bit of a difference between being able to "picture something" and being able to mentally manipulate said picture. Also, there's a difference between being able to accomplish the previous two and being able to generate pictures that are independent of previously acquired data.

Yet all of these rightly fall under the heading of imaginative faculties.

Quote:
Hence, you can look at something and "mentally" rotate it, but you may not be able to "hold" it in your head once you walk away. Personally, I can "picture" things just fine, and I can "create" images that have no relation to things I've seen previously, but I'm rubbish as manipulating the image in my head. Hence, I can "picture" what's going on in a novel, but I can't do "mental" arithmetic. I need to write things out.

So your imaginative faculties are somewhat uneven. What's the point?

Quote:
However, good luck attempting to "measure" these abilities in autistic people.

Should the difficulty in measuring some cognitive functions stop us from hypothesizing about them? Do you understand that Kanner meant for his paper, Autistic Disturbances of Affective Contact, to fly in the face of that difficulty?

The epigram for his paper, an excerpt from "Glimpses into Child Life" by Rose Zeligs:

To understand and measure emotional qualities is very difficult. Psychologists and educators have been struggling with that problem for years but we are still unable to measure emotional and personality traits with the exactness with which we can measure intelligence.

So your precious diagnosis, with which you identify so strongly as to inhabit this website, only came about as a result of men who were willing to push beyond these difficulties for the sake of the progress of mental health science. :wink:

Tollorin wrote:
The world look the same with one and two eyes for me too, yet I don't have depth perception problems. The brain naturally compensate monocular vision by deducing the depth through his experience of vision and various informations. A better way to know if you got depth perceptions problem would be to watch a 3D movie in cinema and see if you notice a difference; with a good 3D the difference is really obvious. (Though don't bring much really.)

Well naturally the world doesn't look radically different to most people when they shut one of their eyes, but they do lose some degree of depth perception. Compare to looking through a binocular vs. a scope, if you really lack depth perception issues. These differences are more pronounced at close/medium range, which is where most people spend the majority of their time focusing anyway.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

Poke wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
The world look the same with one and two eyes for me too, yet I don't have depth perception problems. The brain naturally compensate monocular vision by deducing the depth through his experience of vision and various informations. A better way to know if you got depth perceptions problem would be to watch a 3D movie in cinema and see if you notice a difference; with a good 3D the difference is really obvious. (Though don't bring much really.)

Well naturally the world doesn't look radically different to most people when they shut one of their eyes, but they do lose some degree of depth perception. Compare to looking through a binocular vs. a scope, if you really lack depth perception issues. These differences are more pronounced at close/medium range, which is where most people spend the majority of their time focusing anyway.

I think stereographic perception plays more of a role at close range. It's harder to catch a ball using only one eye. Of course in some cases sucking at sports may not have as much to do with depth perception as lacking precise gross-motor control.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

Venerab1e1 wrote:
English was one of my worst subjects in school because I hated writing stories. I know for a fact that my problem was a lack of imagination because I was a history major in college and I had no problems writing fifteen page papers for my history classes but when it comes to making up stories I always have terrible cases of writers block. I hate trying to use my imagination because it is always in vein.

I can relate. I hated English for the same reason. I think having terrible writers block was more of an executive function problem than lack of imagination. I could come up with stories on my own free time. I just hated being forced to come up with something within the bounds of an assignment. I also had a general loathing for "projects" as I never felt like I had any ideas and things other people suggested always seemed stupid to me making me unmotivated.