Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 10:44 am

How does it look like in your case when a new obsessive interest starts to possess you or when you have just hit upon a new, fascinating idea, I mean – does what is happening in your head just then have any visual, symbolic representation?

Personally, if asked for visualizing sensations floating through my brain then, I’d describe them as a ray of a strong light exploding in my head – to my synaesthetic mind this light is yellowish, a bit tart and tasting of lemons.

Does your external behavior reflect it too? I then usually wave my hands – very fast, fluttering movements of my hands (not of the whole rest of my arms) like I were going to soar into the sky.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:21 am

My “Mind’s Eye” is completely blind. I can’t see anything at all in my head. :-(

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 11:38 am

Irulan wrote:
How does it look like in your case when a new obsessive interest starts to possess you or when you have just hit upon a new, fascinating idea, I mean – does what is happening in your head just then have any visual, symbolic representation?

Personally, if asked for visualizing sensations floating through my brain then, I’d describe them as a ray of a strong light exploding in my head – to my synaesthetic mind this light is yellowish, a bit tart and tasting of lemons.

Does your external behavior reflect it too? I then usually wave my hands – very fast, fluttering movements of my hands (not of the whole rest of my arms) like I were going to soar into the sky.

Good sensations topic

Yours is even better than mine!! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2008, 11:48 am

My brain is like Cerebro in X-Men (the machine Professor Xavier uses).

I'm in the middle of my brain, and all around me are changing images.
When I'm trying to do calculations and such it's more like an omnimax, just a giant screen to project my thoughts onto.

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2008, 12:01 pm

For lack of a better analogy; i get a partly correct associative graph in my head with dangling edges. The danglings need to be fixed before i can let go of it.

There's a difference in how it pops up. Graphs dealing with social stuff are usually blurry, as if things are slightly out of focus. I'm guessing the sense of blurriness is based on the chance that it's associated incorrectly or unsubstantiated. Logic related problems tend to be crispy-clear blue-ish graphs.

When I'm trying to make sense of something it's not uncommon for me to turn my eyes inside and use hand/arm motions to order things. Co-workers tend to call that behaviour "going off into his own universe, he'll be back shortly" :alien:

Though I'm not sure they know how correct they really are when they say that 8)

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2008, 12:05 pm

Yea, I for the most am a visual-spatial learner and all, and I tend to get ideas in my head that appear in pictures... like if I was writing a short story or so or reading a story I can imagine it as if it was a movie playing. This also happens when ever I come up with an idea for what I want to draw - the idea just stays in my head, and, to a certain degree, becomes a near obsession until i can draw it out. Whenever I try to explain things to others as well on certain stuff, like a confusing metaphor, I always visualize it in my head; I think I'm going to start drawing out my metaphors for others too... my shrink apparently thinks the method as to how I explain my metaphors though is quite impressive, and others have told me what I draw is a visual representation of my subconscious thinking or something like that. Eh whatever, I can't write anything else now. >.>

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 12:31 pm

Irulan wrote:

Wow, that sounds beautiful and moving.

My senses sharpen dramatically. When my professors walked into the room, it was as if the room suddenly filled up with light. When I am listening to classical music as I cook it is as if the whole room fills up with an intense, liquid movement. When I run in the desert at night, it is as if the mesquite, sand and sharp desert smells are all alive with their spirits and speaking in their shadowy movements in the moonlight.

My special interests evoke intense sensual feelings in me. Like I'm falling in love...

I read a couple of years ago that MRI's revealed that when Asperger people see an object associated with their special interest, the area of their brain lights up that, in normal people, lights up when they see a loved one's face.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 12:36 pm

It is silvery and shimmery, with fuzzy edges. And makes me want to bounce around on my toes with my arms sticking out rigidly, making humming noises (whether I actually do that or not will depend on whether I'm alone or not! If others are around, I restrain, unless they are very close family!).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 12:51 pm

I think of my thoughts as being a bunch of little balls with some visual representation when I look at each ball, an each ball is conected to others by something simular to webs. When I am in an intense thinking session what I am thinking comes up as flashing pictures and I then make conections or webs between diferent ideas. I can entesify my thinking in a kind of fashon of placing two fingers between my temples, it is a good feeling, but hard to describe, though I can entesify it even further by closing my eyes and kind of jerking my head backwards where it is like my other senes lower and my senses in my head get stronger an I think faster and stronger, like being able to see number equitions with my other senses, like by actual vision.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 1:18 pm

Come to think of it, there was a visual once that I can remember. When I discovered a theory of the duality of identity and personality functions, it seemed like a column of light descended from above and burst into my brain and exploded outward in rays. This sensation/visual of channeling some kind of light was very intense the first day, and then less so the next. I don't recall exactly how long it lasted or in what way it faded. I was focused on the stuff I was thinking about.

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2008, 1:33 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I think of my thoughts as being a bunch of little balls with some visual representation when I look at each ball, an each ball is conected to others by something simular to webs. When I am in an intense thinking session what I am thinking comes up as flashing pictures and I then make conections or webs between diferent ideas.

Sounds very similar to the associative graph i see/use for myself.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 3:38 pm

Here's mine:

http://blog.bubbl.us/wp-content/uploads/bubblus.jpg

edit: removed image from forum.. too big.

I dont exactly visualize it but thats how it works for me.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2008, 4:21 pm

Dantac wrote:
http://blog.bubbl.us/wp-content/uploads/bubblus.jpg
I dont exactly visualize it but thats how it works for me.

Wow. I bet you would be fantastic at programming in graphical environments.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 4:38 pm

When I'm really, really into an idea I can visualize it as like a sparkler, only it's traveling through my body like an electrical current. I have very physical sensations when I'm stimulated mentally, which people often don't understand.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2008, 5:17 pm

It feels like lightning and liquid sunlight.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

I picture a nuclear explosion going off in my head. Then I get very excited/stimulated and I get the urge to run really badly, so I go and do it until I feel better. I've been expanding on my special interest lately and it's been really exciting for me, so I've been running a lot.