Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

mymiraclebaby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

Hello. I am searching and trying to learn more about aspergers. My daughter is 8 and I want to help her anyway I can.

Married since 1997
One asperger daughter
One daughter with complex heart condition

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm

By the time I reply I'm sure there will be at least four other "welcome to wrongplanet"posts. I can only reiterate and say how glad I am that you're here. It's not easy being a mom-- and Asperger's Syndrome brings its own challenges and joys.

:)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

Welcome to WP

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2008, 12:52 am

My suggestion, find her obsession, whatever it is, all of those with aspergers have "extreme absorption" of a certain subject. Meaning they will learn it with ease and amazing speed, luckily math and "LITERAL" language was mine, I could talk like a full grown adult at the age of 2, selectively mute until around the age of 8, I taught myself how to add, subtract, multiply and divide before I was in the first grade.

Also you should know that we will also eventually learn everything we need to. I was tested a while back and had a 98% chance of being Aspergers, got tested recently and now its 94%

My doctor said I was text-book Aspergers fitting every symptom to the T and I didn't really have any major problems.

To be honest we would all need quite a bit more information on the child in question in order to answer questions, such as what tendencies does she have? Does she have tendencies of both AS and autism? Also there is a good chance that either you or the other parent can, since aspergers usually runs in families, communicate well with the child. Also if shes anything like me then you should try to get the child reading books, books of any kind. At around 8 I was reading around 150 page mystery books, at around 10-15 I was reading the harry potter/wheel of time/redwall/keys to the kingdom/seventh tower series.

If she seems to be staring off into space a lot then she's probably completely lost in deep thoughts, it used to happen to me quite often, getting lost in my own little world of thoughts. The problem with this is that it may take quite a bit of coaxing in order to get us to come back to reality, the books basically allow me to enter my own little world without being completely lost in thought, as such its easier for me to break away and talk to people and then enter straight back into it without losing pace. Think of it as a catalyst or a bridge to bring us back to reality more quickly.

Just remember all AS and autistic children are different and what works for one, or what works for many may not work for your child.

Think of it like this, the army generalizes (like normal people) so that every soldier can perform at basic level on everything and the marines are highly specialized in whatever field they are in (AS/Au)

An AS obsessed with rifles could probably hit a dime at 1000 yards and then when they try to hit a pumpkin with a handgun they'll miss at 15 yards.

One last thing, we will also learn differently, I'll use another gun example (you can tell I went to the shooting range today can't you?) If 10 normal people shoot 10 guns, chances are all of them will be better at one particular gun than all the others while still being able to use the others.

If 10 Aspies shoot 10 different guns chances are whichever gun the AS person likes the most, they are going to shoot very well with it even if its their first time shooting, on the other hand, if they show little to no interest in the other guns, well..... let's just say the broad side of a barn is just barely big enough. If you can find what works with her then you can run with it finding out exactly how she learns is what will take time.

Just keep it simple, step by step, broken down explanations are what work for me.

and for heavens sake don't use sarcasm until you know she fully understands it and can recognize it because if you say "GOOOOOD JOB" with sarcasm then if she is classic AS then she WILL think she did a good job. Every AS in my family has had horrible trouble with sarcasm and they take things literally all the time so I believe thats fairly common.

Last thing for real this time, remember if anything we say doesn't fit with your childs problems feel free to ignore it, as with all others we do have similarities but we also have our differences. Also if you do an IQ test, don't take the score seriously, the test is based off of our weakness during 9/10 of it, communication. A test based off of your weakness won't show your strength.

Dollypony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 8:03 am

Welcome to WP!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 12:21 pm

"Hi," mymiraclebaby, and welcome to Wrong Planet. All the WP's very best to you, your husband, and both of your daughters.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 1:04 pm

Nice to meet you, mymiraclebaby. :) 8)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

Hi mymiraclebaby and welcome to the wrongplanet. Whatever concerns/questions/etc. you have concerning AS don't hesitate to ask us as most all of us are more than willing to share our experiences and suggestions. Hope you find what you need in this website.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2008, 5:25 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 3:19 am

Welcome to WP. I've got an 8 y.o. male aspie son and a 5 year old male high functioning autistic (which apparently is now the same as aspergers - according to Dr. Tony Attwood anyway). I'm married and have aspergers too, so my wife is the only NT in our family.

You'll find a lot of help here in the parents forums and you might also want to check out my blog (see my footer). The last few posts have been about aspie adults but I'll be picking up the gauntlet on children again soon... if you look back a few pages, you'll find a lot of children.

If you've got any questions about aspies, please feel free to ask. There are lots of people on WP who will answer them.

Finally, if you haven't looked at Sharon daVanport's blog, you should. She's an aspie female and at the moment, she's got quite a few interesting articles on aspie females up there.

http://www.sharondavanport.com/

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2008, 9:02 pm

Welcome!