Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 2:26 pm

Hi all. It's been a long long time since I have posted here. I come in to check on whats going on from time to time though. :)

J ( my AS son) turned 10 at the end of Nov. I was really brave and threw him a birthday party. He has a party every year but this one was fantastic. :D Aspies only!! !! !

It's been 1 year almost to the day now since his dx, we have come along way. This party was aspies only. 6 boys all up, not everyone knew each other, but J knew them all.

It only went for an hour and a half, every thing was carefully planned. We had 2 scheduled activities, the first was a treasure hunt. The kids were given a list of 5 clues each once they figured out each clue it would lead to a hidden puzzle piece that they had to collect. When they had collected all puzzle pieces they put them together for their final clue which lead to their prize. All kids were winners all kids got the same prize. They worked in teams of two, with an adult to help each team if needed, each team and their puzzle peices were colour coded.

We then ate, I had a huge mix of different foods and I provided divided plates.

We then had a piniata, everyone took it in turns to hit this thing, the prizes inside were wrapped into bundles- a red bundle and a white bundle for each child. It didn't matter if the lollies(candy) hit the ground everything was protected.

I can't believe how well it all went :D . I have been on a high for weeks. It was the best birthday party I think I have ever been to. The kids were all great with each other, all very respectful of each other, not one meltdown, not one tantrum, not one tear. Parents picking their kids up were relieved to that they didn't have to explain their childs odd behaviour, "I got it" :D .

I just wanted to share, It can be done with lots of planning. I to have had some real horrible kids parties in the past where the NT kids were right royal little pills, and J wasn't coping. It doesn't have to be like that. :D

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 2:59 pm

Wow! I wish I had a B-day party like that when I was a child.

I bet every kid involved was apprehensive going into it, and ended coming out with a great memory.

Great planning and parenting!

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2008, 3:14 pm

I'd have to agree.

Often enough, memories of parties for Aspies often include meltdowns. But being amongst your own kind....there is no need to meltdown as you all understand.

You are definitely an amazing parent, aurea :)

Regards
GM

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 5:19 pm

that's great ! glad he had a good time

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2008, 10:07 pm

Cool ideas. I'm considering hosting an "Everyone's Birthday Party", for my 8 yr old son's social skills group at some stage. It's such a common thing that AS kids don't get invited to many birthday parties (my son has been complaining lately whenever his NT siblings get invites), so I thought it would be quite cool if they all had a party together (to cover the whole lot for a year)and they could buy a birthday present for a different person in the group. Might incorporate some of your ideas, thanks.

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2008, 11:45 pm

most marvelous.

happy birthday to your son.