Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MRT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm

So I've been on my menstrual cycle for about two weeks now. I'm 18. This is the FIRST time it's ever gone for over the normal period of time, so I'm kind of worried about it. Should I be worried? And what could be the cause of this? Someone please let me know ASAP.

Akajohnnyx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2008, 12:13 am

I dunno. When I had kidney stones, I had blood in my urine.

I don't mean to be graphic, but it would help to know if you can tell whether the blood is coming out of your urethra or vagina. If it's from the urethra, it could be kidney stones or an urinary tract infection. If the source is vaginal, it could be serious. Could be an STD, or if you've started any medication, that could be it. I'm no expert, but I would get it checked out. Who knows, it could just be a minor infection, but I'd still go to a doctor.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 2:19 am

Did you skip a period? Did you take birth control? Did you take Plan B? It could be so many things.
There's also something called uterine polyps which are growths that cause you to bleed more. There are usually non-cancerous.
I know people that bleed for two weeks after taking Plan B.
When people skip their period by not taking the inactive birth control pills they can bleed for longer.
So, there's many reasons for it.
It could also be an STD or UTI.
May as well go to the doctor to find out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 4:53 am

I would suggest you go and see a doctor about it... hormones can cuse irregular periods.. maybe you need to be on a hormone pill. Do you find you have acne or anything?

darcelle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 7:31 am

Have you changed or stopped your contraceptive? This can cause a change in ur periods that will usually settle. I think your a few decades too young for polyps or fibroids. Do u have a lot of pain? Especially at the beginning of your period? If so could be endometriosis. Or is it possible that this is a miscarriage? It happens; girls can miscarry at about the time of the next period, therefore never realising that they were pregnant. Or there could be a thyroid hormone problem: are you feeling tired? Have you put on weight?... so many questions, you need to see ur gp if ur worried.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:39 am

Yes you could have fibroids. I have fibroids and have frequent spotting as a result. My gyn also thinks I have endometriosis.. the only way to diagnose something like that is through laporoscopic surgery. Not something I am rushing into because at this point its pretty mild. But I do have pain and heavy bleeding.. but I don't suspect that is what is up with you. Could be hormones which as we know can do funny things to you or fibroids, which can be removed as well.. the only way to find out about that is through ultrasound.

darcelle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 4:32 pm

^post above: some good advice, although I still think that ur unlike to have fibroids at 18. Don't get worried about laproscopy/hysteroscopy/invasive investigation of any kind. I only know about uk medicine, maybe its different elsewhere, but I don't imagine you will get any of these with your history.
Firstly, bloods - hormones in the blood give more information about light/absent periods than they do about heavy ones. Your Dr will probably test you for anaemia.
Then, watch and wait - if this becomes a recurrent problem or the blood tests come back showing that your anaemic, you'll probably be offered some medication (eg tranexamic acid) which can make your periods lighter. Contraceptive pills are also an option. Most women find that these make there periods lighter.
Good luck to you!

MRT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2008, 6:45 pm

Pregnancy is definitely not part of it because I know for a fact that I cannot be pregnant. No, I don't have acne or anything like that. There's no pain or heavy bleeding at all, and I hardly ever get cramps when I start my period. No gaining weight either. Nothing at all has changed except that it's longer than usual. Could this occur from exercising too much? I've heard around about that, but I don't know if it's true.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:09 pm

MRT wrote:
Pregnancy is definitely not part of it because I know for a fact that I cannot be pregnant. No, I don't have acne or anything like that. There's no pain or heavy bleeding at all, and I hardly ever get cramps when I start my period. No gaining weight either. Nothing at all has changed except that it's longer than usual. Could this occur from exercising too much? I've heard around about that, but I don't know if it's true.

Any changes that you are making like eating differently or exercising more can mess up your cycle as well. So yes, it's possible.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm

Check with a doctor. It can be a first sign of cervical or ovarian cancer.